Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Unclaimed Profile

Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Financial Advisor Trainee Interview Questions

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Syracuse, NY).

Interview

Very long interview process. I started with apply for the position on their website. About a month later I was contacted to complete the online testing. Part of the texting related to the series examinations to conclude if you would have the ability to pass the licensing. The other portion was more along the lines of personality and skills testing.

I followed up with several people to hear nothing back. About a month later, I was contacted by the Branch Manager, who wanted to speak with me on the phone. It was an interview over the phone. Basically selling myself, showing confidence. Meanwhile he discussed my testing results. I was then invited to an in-person interview. I was required to bring a business plan.

I went to the first in-person interview. This was very high stress. It lasted about an hour and ended with him setting a timer for about 2 minutes and told me to sell myself on why I should be hired for this position and what do I have versus the competition. After the interview concluded I was then invited to another interview at a larger office.

During the interview I was informed that the first few years could be working on average 80 hours a week. He stated when he would leave the office, I would be expected to stay. After giving the position some thought, I declined the interview. Working 80 hours per week would be extremely difficult for myself at this point in my life.

Interview Questions

• You will be dealing with many clients who are older than you. Treat me like one of those clients and explain to me what kind of life experiences you have that would allow me to trust in you to invest my life time savings.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

I applied by sending my resume and agreeing online to show up to their "open house" so to speak. It was a group of 7 applicants in one room, the hiring manager explained what the company does and the what the position includes. Each applicant met with two interviewers for a quick 10 min interview and then were sent home, we were to fill out the application online and complete the assessment if not already done. The hiring manager never called me back and when I was able to finally get in contact with him he said he never received my application in his email and they had already made their decision.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what a financial advisor does?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Morgan Stanley?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (San Diego, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

Did 6 interviews! Yes 6! Thats six times leaving work early, six times driving downtown and paying 15$ for parking and six times I was told they were going to bring me back in to "make me an offer". Today I got a call from the branch manager telling me that they wanted to me to follow up with them in 6 months. Uh, ya Ill pass thanks guy. The recruiter is a joke and completely unorganized, wouldnt recommend this company anymore.

Interview Questions

• What niche are you targeting with your business plan?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Bellevue, WA) in November 2010.

Interview

Talked to 3 supervisors and 3 other finacial advisors. What they want to know is if you are willing to work long hours and make tons of cold calls. The initial pay is 40K for 1 year to be replaced by commisisons.

Better offer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

I called the company and spoke to the branch manager. He told me to fill out the application online. I did and failed the assessment test. He called me back and I convinced him to give me an interview anyway. He sent me the business plan template via e-mail and gave me one night to complete it. I felt like they were uninterested from the get go and made me jump through hoops anyway.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

I got the contact through a recruiter. They called me for a phone interview to ask about my experience, and at then to also schedule a time to a 1:1 interview. I was then placed with a team for a interview with the head of the group. I got the offer from the team head, pending manager approval. The third time I went there, I had to prepare a business plan which I presented and then was given the official offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you plan on targeting high net worth individuals and getting access to them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasnt' much room for me to negotiate. The range is from 45-65K base for the first two/three years of the program. However, by 18 months, they start weening you off the base salary and putting you more on commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2010.

Interview

My interview consisted of being put in an empty office with a phone. I called a number, role played trying to make an appointment with a prospect. Apparently that was all that was needed. I was told I scored the highest anyone had with their branch office and asked "When can you start?".

There was no resume review, no reference checking and not even a sit down Q&A. The whole thing took place with me standing in an open door with a manager standing on their feet as well and didn't even conclude with a handshake.

Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Ontario, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Referred by current employee. Called Branch Manager and scheduled interview for next day. First interview with Branch Manager went well - lasted around an hour and a half. He instructed me to take the online skills assessment and personality test, which I did that night. He called the next day and we set up and interview with a Complex Manager the following week. That interview went well, lasted for roughly an hour. A week later the Branch Manager emailed me and requested that I complete a Business Plan, the template for which was attached to the email. Sent the email back, now I wait.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Morgan Stanley?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Washington, DC) in February 2010.

Interview

interviewed with them face to face three times, then took online assesment (50percent math; 50%sales), then got offer..training program is intense..gotta pas series 7 at the first try or im out..two tries for 63 and 66 and learn sales skills at the same time..build client relationships at the same time..working 7 days a week in the beggining..

Interview Questions

• sales questions. theyll ask you questions about sales performance. what would you do if...and i tell you that i dont want your services, what do you say instead.....??   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Orlando, FL) in August 2009.

Interview

I met with the administrative manager through my university. She asked me to come in after an initial phone screen. Phone screen was HR finding out basic information and asked a few behavioral questions. I then came in and met with the manager and a few of the brokers. They asked me straight forward questions like why I want to work there, tell me about yourself, how to handle irate client, etc.

Interview Questions

I received a better offer from a different bank in a different position.