Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
www.morganstanleysmithbarney.com Purchase, NY

Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Financial Advisor Trainee Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Feb 6, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – Very long interview process. I started with apply for the position on their website. About a month later I was contacted to complete the online testing. Part of the texting related to the series examinations to conclude if you would have the ability to pass the licensing. The other portion was more along the lines of personality and skills testing.

I followed up with several people to hear nothing back. About a month later, I was contacted by the Branch Manager, who wanted to speak with me on the phone. It was an interview over the phone. Basically selling myself, showing confidence. Meanwhile he discussed my testing results. I was then invited to an in-person interview. I was required to bring a business plan.

I went to the first in-person interview. This was very high stress. It lasted about an hour and ended with him setting a timer for about 2 minutes and told me to sell myself on why I should be hired for this position and what do I have versus the competition. After the interview concluded I was then invited to another interview at a larger office.

During the interview I was informed that the first few years could be working on average 80 hours a week. He stated when he would leave the office, I would be expected to stay. After giving the position some thought, I declined the interview. Working 80 hours per week would be extremely difficult for myself at this point in my life.

Interview Question – You will be dealing with many clients who are older than you. Treat me like one of those clients and explain to me what kind of life experiences you have that would allow me to trust in you to invest my life time savings.   Answer Question

Wayne, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in August 2009.

Interview Details – Online or computer based application and evaluation. Brief intelligence type test. Meet with branch manager and another FA

Interview Question – Why will you be successful?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer and acceptance. Standard base salary for all trainees.

Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2009.

Interview Details – The position was for financial advisor associate. It was an 8 interview process, with advisors and branch/regional managers. Also, required an in-depth write-up of your financial approaches/ideas/iniatives that would allow for success in the industry.

Interview Question – What is your single biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Oakbrook Terrace, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied by sending my resume and agreeing online to show up to their "open house" so to speak. It was a group of 7 applicants in one room, the hiring manager explained what the company does and the what the position includes. Each applicant met with two interviewers for a quick 10 min interview and then were sent home, we were to fill out the application online and complete the assessment if not already done. The hiring manager never called me back and when I was able to finally get in contact with him he said he never received my application in his email and they had already made their decision.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2010.

Interview Details – I got the contact through a recruiter. They called me for a phone interview to ask about my experience, and at then to also schedule a time to a 1:1 interview. I was then placed with a team for a interview with the head of the group. I got the offer from the team head, pending manager approval. The third time I went there, I had to prepare a business plan which I presented and then was given the official offer.

Interview Question – Tell me how you plan on targeting high net worth individuals and getting access to them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasnt' much room for me to negotiate. The range is from 45-65K base for the first two/three years of the program. However, by 18 months, they start weening you off the base salary and putting you more on commission.

Bellevue, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in November 2010.

Interview Details – Talked to 3 supervisors and 3 other finacial advisors. What they want to know is if you are willing to work long hours and make tons of cold calls. The initial pay is 40K for 1 year to be replaced by commisisons.

Reason for Declining – Better offer

Very Easy Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in November 2010.

Interview Details – Did 6 interviews! Yes 6! Thats six times leaving work early, six times driving downtown and paying 15$ for parking and six times I was told they were going to bring me back in to "make me an offer". Today I got a call from the branch manager telling me that they wanted to me to follow up with them in 6 months. Uh, ya Ill pass thanks guy. The recruiter is a joke and completely unorganized, wouldnt recommend this company anymore.

Interview Question – What niche are you targeting with your business plan?   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in October 2010.

Interview Details – I called the company and spoke to the branch manager. He told me to fill out the application online. I did and failed the assessment test. He called me back and I convinced him to give me an interview anyway. He sent me the business plan template via e-mail and gave me one night to complete it. I felt like they were uninterested from the get go and made me jump through hoops anyway.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2010.

Interview Details – interviewed with them face to face three times, then took online assesment (50percent math; 50%sales), then got offer..training program is intense..gotta pas series 7 at the first try or im out..two tries for 63 and 66 and learn sales skills at the same time..build client relationships at the same time..working 7 days a week in the beggining..

Interview Question – sales questions. theyll ask you questions about sales performance. what would you do if...and i tell you that i dont want your services, what do you say instead.....??   View Answer

Orlando, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in August 2009.

Interview Details – I met with the administrative manager through my university. She asked me to come in after an initial phone screen. Phone screen was HR finding out basic information and asked a few behavioral questions. I then came in and met with the manager and a few of the brokers. They asked me straight forward questions like why I want to work there, tell me about yourself, how to handle irate client, etc.

Interview Question – How would you handle an irate client?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received a better offer from a different bank in a different position.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Financial Advisor Trainee interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley Smith Barney employees and interview candidates.