Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2010.

Interview Details – Was just a simple phone interview, got hired on the phone and told me to show up. They only used interns for administrative type stuff so the expectations were fairly low.

Interview Question – Where I expected to be in 5 years, it was pretty simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – simple $6 an hour, I think some interns weren't even paid at all.

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – I was first referred to a contact at the company and sent my resume/cover letter directly to him via email. A few days later, my contact's assistant called me to schedule an in-person interview. The interview took place primarily with one Financial Advisor, while another briefly stepped in to explain unique aspects of the role. The interview went well and the interviewer was very responsive to my questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to get into finance?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did research before I went in on what others in my role were being paid, on average. I was asked during the interview what I was looking for in terms of pay, and I gave a number. The interviewer agreed that the amount was about average and fair.

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Interview Details – Very conversational. 3 strengths and weaknesses. Usually like to hear that you are highly organized. Do a bit of recon on that specific group inside of Morgan Stanley

Interview Question – Why Morgan Stanley versus JPM or any other bulge bracket firm?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on my university job board and got a call to come in for an interview, probably within a week. Met with a FA and two other of my lower supervisors, they asked basic questions about my resume and basically told me the job responsibilities. It was more them telling me stuff then interviewing them.

Interview Question – Please tell us about your customer service experience.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2009.

Interview Details – I sent in a resume via email and spoke with the office manager over the phone a couple of times. I went in for the interview and spoke with two people for about 15 minutes each.

I got a call later that week saying that I was accepted pending a drug test and background check. I also needed a letter from my school saying that I was receiving course credit for the internship.

Interview Question – What current market trends do you think will have the biggest impact in the next five years. (Paraphrasing)   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2011.

Interview Details – The Interview was very easy. The interviewer asked basic behavioral questions and also went over my resume.

Interview Question – Tell me about your resume   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2011.

Interview Details – Started with a brief phone interview and conversation, about 15 minutes total. Went in for what I thought was going to be the final interview but was not. I was told this was another "pre-screening" that was pretty much an entire interview w/ 2 people and lasting about an hour. Went on to interview AGAIN for a job that is essentially a receptionist job consisting of answering phones and data entry and pays about minimum wage. Was also told that after the "internship," if I wanted full time employment there, I would have to wait for an opening and apply for it like anyone else.

Interview Questions

Pasadena, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2009.

Interview Details – This interview was for a relatively small intern position at Smith Barney. At the time, they were undergoing massive change since they were merging with Morgan Stanley. The interview was quite easy the hardest part was making sure to come on time.

Interview Question – Tell me something about yourself not stated on your resume.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2009.

Interview Details – I got this internship completely through networking. With that being said all I had to do was send the resume to an FA. From there I would just talk to the FA on the phone about the position. Got the internship approved through my school and then accepted the internship.

Interview Question – Please tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2008.

Interview Details – Two one on one interviews with each of the managers I would be directly reporting to. Very chill, very nice people. A week later called in to perform urine drug test and started immediately after.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No, I was thankful I would be getting paid at all.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Intern interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley Smith Barney employees and interview candidates.