Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

2.1

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

I was first referred to a contact at the company and sent my resume/cover letter directly to him via email. A few days later, my contact's assistant called me to schedule an in-person interview. The interview took place primarily with one Financial Advisor, while another briefly stepped in to explain unique aspects of the role. The interview went well and the interviewer was very responsive to my questions.

Interview Questions
I did research before I went in on what others in my role were being paid, on average. I was asked during the interview what I was looking for in terms of pay, and I gave a number. The interviewer agreed that the amount was about average and fair.

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Intern Interview

Very conversational. 3 strengths and weaknesses. Usually like to hear that you are highly organized. Do a bit of recon on that specific group inside of Morgan Stanley

Interview Questions
    • Why Morgan Stanley versus JPM or any other bulge bracket firm?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2013.

Applied for position in school career website. Got a call to schedule interview. It was a one on one interview with an analyst already working there. Informed me more about the internship. Asked very standard interview questions and behavioral questions. Said that I would get a reply in a week when they review all the candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2012.

Applied on my university job board and got a call to come in for an interview, probably within a week. Met with a FA and two other of my lower supervisors, they asked basic questions about my resume and basically told me the job responsibilities. It was more them telling me stuff then interviewing them.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about your customer service experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2011.

The Interview was very easy. The interviewer asked basic behavioral questions and also went over my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2011.

Started with a brief phone interview and conversation, about 15 minutes total. Went in for what I thought was going to be the final interview but was not. I was told this was another "pre-screening" that was pretty much an entire interview w/ 2 people and lasting about an hour. Went on to interview AGAIN for a job that is essentially a receptionist job consisting of answering phones and data entry and pays about minimum wage. Was also told that after the "internship," if I wanted full time employment there, I would have to wait for an opening and apply for it like anyone else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2010.

Was just a simple phone interview, got hired on the phone and told me to show up. They only used interns for administrative type stuff so the expectations were fairly low.

Interview Questions
    • Where I expected to be in 5 years, it was pretty simple.   Answer Question
    simple $6 an hour, I think some interns weren't even paid at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2009.

I sent in a resume via email and spoke with the office manager over the phone a couple of times. I went in for the interview and spoke with two people for about 15 minutes each.

I got a call later that week saying that I was accepted pending a drug test and background check. I also needed a letter from my school saying that I was receiving course credit for the internship.

Interview Questions
    • What current market trends do you think will have the biggest impact in the next five years. (Paraphrasing)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2009.

I got this internship completely through networking. With that being said all I had to do was send the resume to an FA. From there I would just talk to the FA on the phone about the position. Got the internship approved through my school and then accepted the internship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2009.

This interview was for a relatively small intern position at Smith Barney. At the time, they were undergoing massive change since they were merging with Morgan Stanley. The interview was quite easy the hardest part was making sure to come on time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself not stated on your resume.   Answer Question