Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Relevance Date Difficulty

Registered Sales Assistant Interview

Registered Sales Assistant
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted resume directly to a branch. Interviewed with branch management and some brokers. More about your personality than anything else. They are just trying to match you with a broker because you are really working more for the broker than the actual branch management.

Interview Question – Nothing tricky. They will ask what your knowledge is of basic order entries but that is about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I just took the offer - need a job more than anything.

VP- Financial Advisor Interview

VP- Financial Advisor

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – Interviewed with team of Advisors first. Separate interviews, not two on one. Was impressed by their story of how they ran their practice like a well-oiled machine. Wish it had been true. Then met Office Manager Senior VP for interview that covered all the basics. Then met regional manager briefly for a glossy overview of why it was the best place to work, according to him.

Interview Question – Really didn't find anything too difficult or unexpected during the process.   Answer Question

Asset Management Interview

Asset Management

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – First of all, Excel test regarding corporate finance. How to calculate return of investment, annual payments, and duration. Second, on-site interview. Basically, go through your resume and ask questions involving your relevant work experience.

Interview Question – No difficult quesitons   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Legal Analyst Interview

Legal Analyst
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2013.

Interview Details – Took a very long time to get the hiring process going and the Hiring manager was very unresponsive. No one provided me an information when I tried to submit a thank you note.

Interview Question – Why so much movement on my resume   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty easy. I was able to give my current salary and they gave me a lot more

Very Easy Interview

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Senior Administrative Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – 10 min in person interview. Very informal (at the time).

Interview Question – Nothing difficult asked. It was more of a brief "shoot the breeze" type of talk.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered $30k, I countered with $33k and they accepted.

Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor Interview

Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor
West Palm Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2012.

Interview Details – Quite a long and detailed process. Online resume submittal was very detailed and involved taking a few tests, must pass them btw. Three separate interviews with different managers and all types of questions. process took about three months due to scheduling interviews and waiting for management responses. Back ground check with finger prints. As fun as it gets!

Interview Question – What would your business plan be if hired as a Financial Advisor with the firm?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, negotiate. You are trying to land a "Wall Street" job, everything is negotiable.

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in October and received a call from a recruiter in February. Quick conversation to confirm interest in the position and schedule a phone interview for the following week.

Interview Question – Basic screening questions. Are you currently working/tell me about your current responsibilties/why are you looking for a new opportunity? Why do you think you're a good fit for this company/position? She offered a brief overview of the position. I wouldn't say this was an unexpected question but she asked what I knew about the company. Final question was in regards to salary. She asked about my current salary and what sort of pay range I was expecting from this position.   View Answer

Mssb Intern Interview

Mssb Intern
Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Interview Details – Quick And easy, had one simple interview in-front of three current employees. Very professional but rigorous.

Interview Question – Why you want this position. They are looking for the right fit, it is to say there is no right or wrong answer to the question but just how you answer. They need to see that you are capable of being yourself and intelligent at the same time. This position required some face to face interaction and was extremely important in the review process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Moved to another, higher internship position.

Financial Analyst Intern Interview

Financial Analyst Intern
Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was relatively uncompetitive. For this specific position, they hired a lot of students from my university and the interview process was fairly easy. Only one interview and questions were basic situational questions--things like: "Name a time when you were unable to meet a deadline--how did you cope with the situation?" Short question section at the end about stocks and bonds, but only to gauge level of students, not really to determine qualifications.

Interview Question – What are options?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2010.

Interview Details – Was just a simple phone interview, got hired on the phone and told me to show up. They only used interns for administrative type stuff so the expectations were fairly low.

Interview Question – Where I expected to be in 5 years, it was pretty simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – simple $6 an hour, I think some interns weren't even paid at all.

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!