Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

207 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Morgan Stanley Financial Advisor Interview

West Palm Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2012.

Interview Details – Quite a long and detailed process. Online resume submittal was very detailed and involved taking a few tests, must pass them btw. Three separate interviews with different managers and all types of questions. process took about three months due to scheduling interviews and waiting for management responses. Back ground check with finger prints. As fun as it gets!

Interview Question – What would your business plan be if hired as a Financial Advisor with the firm?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, negotiate. You are trying to land a "Wall Street" job, everything is negotiable.

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied in October and received a call from a recruiter in February. Quick conversation to confirm interest in the position and schedule a phone interview for the following week.

Interview Question – Basic screening questions. Are you currently working/tell me about your current responsibilties/why are you looking for a new opportunity? Why do you think you're a good fit for this company/position? She offered a brief overview of the position. I wouldn't say this was an unexpected question but she asked what I knew about the company. Final question was in regards to salary. She asked about my current salary and what sort of pay range I was expecting from this position.   View Answer

Mssb Intern Interview

Mssb Intern
Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Interview Details – Quick And easy, had one simple interview in-front of three current employees. Very professional but rigorous.

Interview Question – Why you want this position. They are looking for the right fit, it is to say there is no right or wrong answer to the question but just how you answer. They need to see that you are capable of being yourself and intelligent at the same time. This position required some face to face interaction and was extremely important in the review process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Moved to another, higher internship position.

Financial Analyst Intern Interview

Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was relatively uncompetitive. For this specific position, they hired a lot of students from my university and the interview process was fairly easy. Only one interview and questions were basic situational questions--things like: "Name a time when you were unable to meet a deadline--how did you cope with the situation?" Short question section at the end about stocks and bonds, but only to gauge level of students, not really to determine qualifications.

Interview Question – What are options?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2010.

Interview Details – Was just a simple phone interview, got hired on the phone and told me to show up. They only used interns for administrative type stuff so the expectations were fairly low.

Interview Question – Where I expected to be in 5 years, it was pretty simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – simple $6 an hour, I think some interns weren't even paid at all.

Internship Interview

Internship

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – No interview. Hired after 2 months following submission of application.

Interview Question – No interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Intern
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – I was first referred to a contact at the company and sent my resume/cover letter directly to him via email. A few days later, my contact's assistant called me to schedule an in-person interview. The interview took place primarily with one Financial Advisor, while another briefly stepped in to explain unique aspects of the role. The interview went well and the interviewer was very responsive to my questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to get into finance?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did research before I went in on what others in my role were being paid, on average. I was asked during the interview what I was looking for in terms of pay, and I gave a number. The interviewer agreed that the amount was about average and fair.

Associate Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2013.

Interview Details – Short process with impromptu meeting. Unscripted questions and conversational format. My appointment was confirmed by the person who referred me. There was no prescreening process.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. We reviewed my background and skills at current and previous jobs.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Financial Advisor Trainee
Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – Very long interview process. I started with apply for the position on their website. About a month later I was contacted to complete the online testing. Part of the texting related to the series examinations to conclude if you would have the ability to pass the licensing. The other portion was more along the lines of personality and skills testing.

I followed up with several people to hear nothing back. About a month later, I was contacted by the Branch Manager, who wanted to speak with me on the phone. It was an interview over the phone. Basically selling myself, showing confidence. Meanwhile he discussed my testing results. I was then invited to an in-person interview. I was required to bring a business plan.

I went to the first in-person interview. This was very high stress. It lasted about an hour and ended with him setting a timer for about 2 minutes and told me to sell myself on why I should be hired for this position and what do I have versus the competition. After the interview concluded I was then invited to another interview at a larger office.

During the interview I was informed that the first few years could be working on average 80 hours a week. He stated when he would leave the office, I would be expected to stay. After giving the position some thought, I declined the interview. Working 80 hours per week would be extremely difficult for myself at this point in my life.

Interview Question – You will be dealing with many clients who are older than you. Treat me like one of those clients and explain to me what kind of life experiences you have that would allow me to trust in you to invest my life time savings.   Answer Question

Intern

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Interview Details – Very conversational. 3 strengths and weaknesses. Usually like to hear that you are highly organized. Do a bit of recon on that specific group inside of Morgan Stanley

Interview Question – Why Morgan Stanley versus JPM or any other bulge bracket firm?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney interview questions and advice. All 207 interview reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley Smith Barney employees and interview candidates.