Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated Nov 7, 2014
Updated Nov 7, 2014

2.8

Capital Markets Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2009.

Sat down the Cap. Mkts desk manager to informally interview for a seat on the desk. Topics covered were 90% market related as personal experience was not as useful. Was definetly quick on the uptake with current market questions, know your stuff.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite sector to invest via Fixed Income?   View Answer

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2010.

Very stressful skills test given. 30 questions in 30 minutes on financial questions

Interview Questions
    • Why is our current stock not doing well?   Answer Question
    • What is a strategy you can use to hedge your customer's account right now with current market conditions?   Answer Question
    Good luck. Only way to negotiate is to tell them you need a number...and be willing to turn them down if they don't get to that number.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2011.

After the phone interview I had a grueling 6 hour interview with 4 different people. I was left in a board room for twenty minutes between each one.
    They asked extremely difficult questions for an entry level position.
    The HR team seemed amused by the arduous interview process they had created ( it took them 7 months to fill the position)
    My advice would be to prepare for the worst and hope fir the best!

Interview Questions
    • What is the worst mistake you have made in your professional career?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2012.

Came in to the office, asked me questions about why I wanted to be in this industry. Asked where I see myself in 10 years and how I would go about getting into the industry.

Interview Questions
    • Why me, we have 100's of applicants. What separates me from others.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Hiring process was lengthy consisting of a phone interview, online test, in-person interview, business plan, and second in-person interview. After the whole process they made a job offer that I declined because of low salary offer.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can do this job?   View Answer

They expected long hours at very little pay≥

Vice President Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2012.

7 Panel interview - including Executive Directors and VPs to confirm experience an day to day operation of technical project management.

Interview Questions
    • Can you define requirements and track defects using industry standard tools and if so which tools.   Answer Question
    It was fair and expected - within 15 days of the interview process.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in October 2011.

The interview process consisted of 3 individual interviews and 1 timed and observed group interview. There was an informal interview in the form of a networking session the day prior to the actual superday.

Interview Questions
    • Deep down inside, what are you looking to change? How will that help/hinder you at Morgan?   View Answer
    Weigh all of your options if there are any. Decide which is best. And always emphasize on location.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2009.

The position was for financial advisor associate. It was an 8 interview process, with advisors and branch/regional managers. Also, required an in-depth write-up of your financial approaches/ideas/iniatives that would allow for success in the industry.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

11 interviews of 30 mins each. Intense and focused. No time to relax and 'sell' oneself. At the same time the interviewer didnt get an opportunity to ask tough questions.

Interview Questions
    • No tough questions; in a 30 minute interview limited opportunity for such items.   Answer Question
    No negotiation opportunity, more of a take it or leave it.

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Other comments you see on here regarding the interview process are accurate, so I won't go too much into further detail.

They'll pay you an initial salary, but your success is up to you. You have to be a hunter. You find the clients, then you make the money. To get the job, you have to do your own research and prove to them that you have a reasonably good plan to get clients. That's it.

NOT FOR YOU:
    There's a huge failure rate, around 90%, because most people who apply are really looking for a "regular" job. They want specific duties, with a predictable salary, vacation time, personal time off, etc. If this is what you want, then this job is not for you.

THIS JOB IS FOR YOU:
    If you're like me: Very passionate about the financial market, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, seeking opportunity to make a lot of money rather than "job security," want to get paid by your performance rather than wait for someone to retire in order to get a promotion, and want the backing of a huge brand, then this job is for you.

I was thrilled to discover this position because I've considered forking over $100ks to buy a franchise. Here, they pay me (first year)! How awesome is that. Basically, this is the way to think of this position.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions don't really matter. How do you plan on being successful? Do you have an existing network who can refer you business? Do you have wealthy friends and family? Do you know of an untapped market who need financial advice? Do the research, create a plan, prove to them you have a good chance of being successful, and you'll get the job.   Answer Question
    None. Took first offer. Doesn't matter anyways since it slowly phases out.