Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated Aug 27, 2014
Updated Aug 27, 2014

2.8

Capital Markets Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2009.

Sat down the Cap. Mkts desk manager to informally interview for a seat on the desk. Topics covered were 90% market related as personal experience was not as useful. Was definetly quick on the uptake with current market questions, know your stuff.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite sector to invest via Fixed Income?   View Answer

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2011.

After the phone interview I had a grueling 6 hour interview with 4 different people. I was left in a board room for twenty minutes between each one.
    They asked extremely difficult questions for an entry level position.
    The HR team seemed amused by the arduous interview process they had created ( it took them 7 months to fill the position)
    My advice would be to prepare for the worst and hope fir the best!

Interview Questions
    • What is the worst mistake you have made in your professional career?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Hiring process was lengthy consisting of a phone interview, online test, in-person interview, business plan, and second in-person interview. After the whole process they made a job offer that I declined because of low salary offer.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can do this job?   View Answer

They expected long hours at very little pay≥

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2012.

Came in to the office, asked me questions about why I wanted to be in this industry. Asked where I see myself in 10 years and how I would go about getting into the industry.

Interview Questions
    • Why me, we have 100's of applicants. What separates me from others.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2010.

Very stressful skills test given. 30 questions in 30 minutes on financial questions

Interview Questions
    • Why is our current stock not doing well?   Answer Question
    • What is a strategy you can use to hedge your customer's account right now with current market conditions?   Answer Question
    Good luck. Only way to negotiate is to tell them you need a number...and be willing to turn them down if they don't get to that number.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2010.

1.) contacted by the complex manager and interviewed very briefly over the phone.
    2.) complex manager called back and invited me to complete a personality test.
    3.) complex manager called me in for an interview which went fair in my opinion.
    4.) interview with branch office manger
    5.) second interview with branch office manager.
    6.) third interview with branch office manager and formally offered position.
    7.) received formal offer in the mail.

no negotiation

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in October 2011.

The interview process consisted of 3 individual interviews and 1 timed and observed group interview. There was an informal interview in the form of a networking session the day prior to the actual superday.

Interview Questions
    • Deep down inside, what are you looking to change? How will that help/hinder you at Morgan?   View Answer
    Weigh all of your options if there are any. Decide which is best. And always emphasize on location.

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2008.

Interviewing process went really smoothly and everyone was very helpful in highlighting my particular talents and skills to ensure I was the best candidate for the position. After a few rounds of phone screenings, I met with the managers one-on-one and we dueled it out to finally give me the job.

Interview Questions
    • How many per day you do?   View Answer
    • What have you been doing during your time out of employment.   View Answer
    Quick and Painless...I know what I want.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2010.

interviewed with them face to face three times, then took online assesment (50percent math; 50%sales), then got offer..training program is intense..gotta pas series 7 at the first try or im out..two tries for 63 and 66 and learn sales skills at the same time..build client relationships at the same time..working 7 days a week in the beggining..

Interview Questions
    • sales questions. theyll ask you questions about sales performance. what would you do if...and i tell you that i dont want your services, what do you say instead.....??   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2010.

Started with a brief Phone Interview for only a few minutes to inform Employer of why I wanted to change careers and what assests I could bring in my new role at their firm. Followed by several face-to-face interviews, including one panel interview. There were 2 face-to-face interviews, once with a recruiter at the corporate office and then a panel interview with two SVPs at the local firm.

Interview Questions
    • What is your business plan including prospects,a nd how you will grow that business?   Answer Question

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!