Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

214 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2010.

Interview Details – Was just a simple phone interview, got hired on the phone and told me to show up. They only used interns for administrative type stuff so the expectations were fairly low.

Interview Question – Where I expected to be in 5 years, it was pretty simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – simple $6 an hour, I think some interns weren't even paid at all.

Internship Interview

Internship

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – No interview. Hired after 2 months following submission of application.

Interview Question – No interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Financial Advisor Trainee
Syracuse, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – Very long interview process. I started with apply for the position on their website. About a month later I was contacted to complete the online testing. Part of the texting related to the series examinations to conclude if you would have the ability to pass the licensing. The other portion was more along the lines of personality and skills testing.

I followed up with several people to hear nothing back. About a month later, I was contacted by the Branch Manager, who wanted to speak with me on the phone. It was an interview over the phone. Basically selling myself, showing confidence. Meanwhile he discussed my testing results. I was then invited to an in-person interview. I was required to bring a business plan.

I went to the first in-person interview. This was very high stress. It lasted about an hour and ended with him setting a timer for about 2 minutes and told me to sell myself on why I should be hired for this position and what do I have versus the competition. After the interview concluded I was then invited to another interview at a larger office.

During the interview I was informed that the first few years could be working on average 80 hours a week. He stated when he would leave the office, I would be expected to stay. After giving the position some thought, I declined the interview. Working 80 hours per week would be extremely difficult for myself at this point in my life.

Interview Question – You will be dealing with many clients who are older than you. Treat me like one of those clients and explain to me what kind of life experiences you have that would allow me to trust in you to invest my life time savings.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – I was first referred to a contact at the company and sent my resume/cover letter directly to him via email. A few days later, my contact's assistant called me to schedule an in-person interview. The interview took place primarily with one Financial Advisor, while another briefly stepped in to explain unique aspects of the role. The interview went well and the interviewer was very responsive to my questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to get into finance?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did research before I went in on what others in my role were being paid, on average. I was asked during the interview what I was looking for in terms of pay, and I gave a number. The interviewer agreed that the amount was about average and fair.

Associate Financial Advisor Interview

Associate Financial Advisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2013.

Interview Details – Short process with impromptu meeting. Unscripted questions and conversational format. My appointment was confirmed by the person who referred me. There was no prescreening process.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions. We reviewed my background and skills at current and previous jobs.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Interview Details – Very conversational. 3 strengths and weaknesses. Usually like to hear that you are highly organized. Do a bit of recon on that specific group inside of Morgan Stanley

Interview Question – Why Morgan Stanley versus JPM or any other bulge bracket firm?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2012.

Interview Details – Have a business plan with a lot of contacts

Interview Question – there were no difficult questions, just be yourself   Answer Question

Financial Training Program Interview

Financial Training Program

I applied online and interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – It was a group interview with 5 interviewers and 5 interviewees. They asked really simple questions about working in groups and questions having a difficult group member. As long as you show that you are interested to learn the financial industry you will have a good shot! There is also a quiz at the end that asks some basic definitions of the financial industry.

Interview Question – What is the difference between an option and a future?   Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Wealth Management
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2013.

Interview Details – Intern position for the summer consisted of contacting the group I wished to work for and emailing them with a brief cover letter and resume, then a phone interview/chat and an in person conversation/interview.

Interview Question – What makes you want to work for us rather than another industry/company?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship

I applied online and interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – One quick phone interview and one quick face to face interview.

Interview Question – Tell me a story   Answer Question