Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated Aug 27, 2014
Updated Aug 27, 2014

2.8

Financial Training Program Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

It was a group interview with 5 interviewers and 5 interviewees. They asked really simple questions about working in groups and questions having a difficult group member. As long as you show that you are interested to learn the financial industry you will have a good shot! There is also a quiz at the end that asks some basic definitions of the financial industry.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between an option and a future?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

One quick phone interview and one quick face to face interview.

Wealth Managemnt Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Applied through school website. Got an interview invitation from HR within a week. The interviewer was friendly and questions were very general.

Global Wealth Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

I applied through my school's website, got a call about a week later to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was invited to have an in-office interview at the 399 Park Ave office, 12th floor, midtown New York. Interview lasted about 2 hours - with the Portfolio Management Group - first with the Registered Marketing Associate, then Client Service Associate, HR Manager and lastly with the Senior Portfolio Manager/Senior Vice President/Financial Advisor. Questions were mainly related to the experience, education, and how attained knowledge and experience can be translated into the work environment at Morgan Stanley. After the interview I got a call and an email with the offer and documentation for the background check and employment verification. Background check and employment verification took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

I declined an offer to continue working with the group mainly because of the disrespect, hostile environment, unstructured workflow and declining customer base.

Financial Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Davis, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

interviewed 3 on 4, 3 interviewers, 4 candidates

Interview Questions
    • difference between options and futures   View Answer

FAA Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Initial step is to complete an online test. This is supposed to judge the likelihood that you will pass your series 7 (You only get 1 shot). Than you are brought in for an in person interview. If you pass, than you submit a business plan and and another interview. In total it is a 4 step interview process.

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to get business?
      Why do you want to work here?
      What is your contact base like?
        Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Other comments you see on here regarding the interview process are accurate, so I won't go too much into further detail.

They'll pay you an initial salary, but your success is up to you. You have to be a hunter. You find the clients, then you make the money. To get the job, you have to do your own research and prove to them that you have a reasonably good plan to get clients. That's it.

NOT FOR YOU:
    There's a huge failure rate, around 90%, because most people who apply are really looking for a "regular" job. They want specific duties, with a predictable salary, vacation time, personal time off, etc. If this is what you want, then this job is not for you.

THIS JOB IS FOR YOU:
    If you're like me: Very passionate about the financial market, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, seeking opportunity to make a lot of money rather than "job security," want to get paid by your performance rather than wait for someone to retire in order to get a promotion, and want the backing of a huge brand, then this job is for you.

I was thrilled to discover this position because I've considered forking over $100ks to buy a franchise. Here, they pay me (first year)! How awesome is that. Basically, this is the way to think of this position.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions don't really matter. How do you plan on being successful? Do you have an existing network who can refer you business? Do you have wealthy friends and family? Do you know of an untapped market who need financial advice? Do the research, create a plan, prove to them you have a good chance of being successful, and you'll get the job.   Answer Question
    None. Took first offer. Doesn't matter anyways since it slowly phases out.

Financial Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Hiring process was relatively uncompetitive. For this specific position, they hired a lot of students from my university and the interview process was fairly easy. Only one interview and questions were basic situational questions--things like: "Name a time when you were unable to meet a deadline--how did you cope with the situation?" Short question section at the end about stocks and bonds, but only to gauge level of students, not really to determine qualifications.

Mssb Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Quick And easy, had one simple interview in-front of three current employees. Very professional but rigorous.

Interview Questions
    • Why you want this position. They are looking for the right fit, it is to say there is no right or wrong answer to the question but just how you answer. They need to see that you are capable of being yourself and intelligent at the same time. This position required some face to face interaction and was extremely important in the review process.   Answer Question
    Moved to another, higher internship position.

Summer Intern Interview

Brief introduction of yourself.
    The intern focused on marketing