Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

2.8

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Very long interview process. I started with apply for the position on their website. About a month later I was contacted to complete the online testing. Part of the texting related to the series examinations to conclude if you would have the ability to pass the licensing. The other portion was more along the lines of personality and skills testing.

I followed up with several people to hear nothing back. About a month later, I was contacted by the Branch Manager, who wanted to speak with me on the phone. It was an interview over the phone. Basically selling myself, showing confidence. Meanwhile he discussed my testing results. I was then invited to an in-person interview. I was required to bring a business plan.

I went to the first in-person interview. This was very high stress. It lasted about an hour and ended with him setting a timer for about 2 minutes and told me to sell myself on why I should be hired for this position and what do I have versus the competition. After the interview concluded I was then invited to another interview at a larger office.

During the interview I was informed that the first few years could be working on average 80 hours a week. He stated when he would leave the office, I would be expected to stay. After giving the position some thought, I declined the interview. Working 80 hours per week would be extremely difficult for myself at this point in my life.

Interview Questions
    • You will be dealing with many clients who are older than you. Treat me like one of those clients and explain to me what kind of life experiences you have that would allow me to trust in you to invest my life time savings.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Very conversational. 3 strengths and weaknesses. Usually like to hear that you are highly organized. Do a bit of recon on that specific group inside of Morgan Stanley

Interview Questions
    • Why Morgan Stanley versus JPM or any other bulge bracket firm?   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2014.

Applied in October and received a call from a recruiter in February. Quick conversation to confirm interest in the position and schedule a phone interview for the following week.

Interview Questions
    • Basic screening questions. Are you currently working/tell me about your current responsibilties/why are you looking for a new opportunity? Why do you think you're a good fit for this company/position? She offered a brief overview of the position. I wouldn't say this was an unexpected question but she asked what I knew about the company. Final question was in regards to salary. She asked about my current salary and what sort of pay range I was expecting from this position.   View Answer

Financial Training Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

It was a group interview with 5 interviewers and 5 interviewees. They asked really simple questions about working in groups and questions having a difficult group member. As long as you show that you are interested to learn the financial industry you will have a good shot! There is also a quiz at the end that asks some basic definitions of the financial industry.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between an option and a future?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

One quick phone interview and one quick face to face interview.

Wealth Managemnt Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Applied through school website. Got an interview invitation from HR within a week. The interviewer was friendly and questions were very general.

Global Wealth Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

I applied through my school's website, got a call about a week later to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was invited to have an in-office interview at the 399 Park Ave office, 12th floor, midtown New York. Interview lasted about 2 hours - with the Portfolio Management Group - first with the Registered Marketing Associate, then Client Service Associate, HR Manager and lastly with the Senior Portfolio Manager/Senior Vice President/Financial Advisor. Questions were mainly related to the experience, education, and how attained knowledge and experience can be translated into the work environment at Morgan Stanley. After the interview I got a call and an email with the offer and documentation for the background check and employment verification. Background check and employment verification took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

I declined an offer to continue working with the group mainly because of the disrespect, hostile environment, unstructured workflow and declining customer base.

Financial Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

interviewed 3 on 4, 3 interviewers, 4 candidates

Interview Questions
    • difference between options and futures   View Answer

FAA Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Initial step is to complete an online test. This is supposed to judge the likelihood that you will pass your series 7 (You only get 1 shot). Than you are brought in for an in person interview. If you pass, than you submit a business plan and and another interview. In total it is a 4 step interview process.

Interview Questions
    • How are you going to get business?
      Why do you want to work here?
      What is your contact base like?

Answer Question

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Other comments you see on here regarding the interview process are accurate, so I won't go too much into further detail.

They'll pay you an initial salary, but your success is up to you. You have to be a hunter. You find the clients, then you make the money. To get the job, you have to do your own research and prove to them that you have a reasonably good plan to get clients. That's it.

NOT FOR YOU:
    There's a huge failure rate, around 90%, because most people who apply are really looking for a "regular" job. They want specific duties, with a predictable salary, vacation time, personal time off, etc. If this is what you want, then this job is not for you.

THIS JOB IS FOR YOU:
    If you're like me: Very passionate about the financial market, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, seeking opportunity to make a lot of money rather than "job security," want to get paid by your performance rather than wait for someone to retire in order to get a promotion, and want the backing of a huge brand, then this job is for you.

I was thrilled to discover this position because I've considered forking over $100ks to buy a franchise. Here, they pay me (first year)! How awesome is that. Basically, this is the way to think of this position.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions don't really matter. How do you plan on being successful? Do you have an existing network who can refer you business? Do you have wealthy friends and family? Do you know of an untapped market who need financial advice? Do the research, create a plan, prove to them you have a good chance of being successful, and you'll get the job.   Answer Question
    None. Took first offer. Doesn't matter anyways since it slowly phases out.