Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.8

Summer Intern Interview

Brief introduction of yourself.
    The intern focused on marketing

Registered Client Service Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

I was hired at a time when they were on a hiring spree so it wasn't a rigorous process. I was already licensed and had some experience so was welcomed. They even took some people that hadn't been licensed.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything unexpected in this interview. I would say this was fairly typical, a good opportunity to meet the managers and let them know who I was.   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Asked questions of specific examples where I was able to utilize good customer service skills. Made sure I had good computer skills and good communication skills.

Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

I was contacted via phone directly by the hiring manager following my online application. An interview was set up in the following two weeks. Once I arrived, I sat down directly with the manager overseeing the position I was interviewing for. He was very intrigued about my past and jobs I'd held previously, and did not spend much time overviewing the job itself. after about 15 minutes, the interview concluded, and asked if I was interested in talking to two other managers. The next manager I spoke to held the same title as the first manager, but worked in a different location within the metropolitan area. The conversation flowed much easier. Questions about my strengths and weaknesses, hypothetical client interaction questions, and other typical interview points were covered. By the end of the 15, 20 minutes spent with this manager, and personally discussing traffic routes and the city, i was introduced to yet another manager, of whom presided as supervisor over both of the managers I had already spoken to.

This conversation was shorter, but flowed much easier than the previous two conversations. I was promised an answer on whether or not they wanted to bring me on board the following monday. Today is now Friday of that Monday, and I have not heard a word back, and have left voicemails with all three managers, as there was not a particular manager who was specified I should contact.

Interview Questions
    • Describing your own biggest weakness is always a challenge for me. Most people try to stay positive, and focus on their strengths in order to overcome their weaknesses.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2013.

I went in for a first round interview and was immediately followed up with an email inviting me back for a second interview the next week. The second interview was more questions I had for the financial group while the first interview was more about getting to know me and my previous experiences.

Interview Questions
    • I was told I passed two unexpected "tests" that the group had for interview candidates. The first test I passed was being on time, or 5 minutes early for the interview. The second test was having an extra resume on hand because one of the associates "forgot hers".   Answer Question

The starting salary was lower than I expected at 35K, and upon passing the Series 7 salary only increases to 36K.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2013.

Applied for position in school career website. Got a call to schedule interview. It was a one on one interview with an analyst already working there. Informed me more about the internship. Asked very standard interview questions and behavioral questions. Said that I would get a reply in a week when they review all the candidates.

Wealth Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Very straight forward hiring process. First, a phone interview that outlines the internship and they asks you about your experiences. After a couple of weeks, they schedule a face to face interview. General personality questions and indepth look into your previous experiences.

None

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2013.

I got in touch with the Branch Manager and was invited to take a two-part online assessment exam. The first one was logic-based reasoning questions. These are verbal, spatial and numerical problems. The test was timed and had to be completed in 25 minutes. The second part of the test is designed to see if your personality fits their requirements. After these online exams, if you pass their basic requirements, you will be invited to their branch office for a standard interview. This could include behavioral question, but then again more fit test. If you ace that round, they will give you a business plan. After reviewing the business plan and if they like it, you will be invited back to the office to give a presentation on your business plan.

Interview Questions
    • The business plan itself. They will question your assumptions   Answer Question

Sales was not what I was looking for

Legal Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2013.

Took a very long time to get the hiring process going and the Hiring manager was very unresponsive. No one provided me an information when I tried to submit a thank you note.

Interview Questions
    Pretty easy. I was able to give my current salary and they gave me a lot more

Client Service Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Phone interview with Complex Service Manager, then interview with multiple financial advisors at the branches to find the best fit - mostly based on personalities meshing well. Final interview is with the Branch Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions such as why did you leave your former employeer, why do you want to work here, why did you pick your major...etc.   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation, have to take what they give you.