Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2013.

Interview Details – I went in for a first round interview and was immediately followed up with an email inviting me back for a second interview the next week. The second interview was more questions I had for the financial group while the first interview was more about getting to know me and my previous experiences.

Interview Question – I was told I passed two unexpected "tests" that the group had for interview candidates. The first test I passed was being on time, or 5 minutes early for the interview. The second test was having an extra resume on hand because one of the associates "forgot hers".   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The starting salary was lower than I expected at 35K, and upon passing the Series 7 salary only increases to 36K.

FAA Interview

FAA

I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2013.

Interview Details – Branch interview, complex interview, business plan, complex manager interview

Interview Question – What was the most recent book you read?   Answer Question

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Wealth Management Advisor
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2013.

Interview Details – I got in touch with the Branch Manager and was invited to take a two-part online assessment exam. The first one was logic-based reasoning questions. These are verbal, spatial and numerical problems. The test was timed and had to be completed in 25 minutes. The second part of the test is designed to see if your personality fits their requirements. After these online exams, if you pass their basic requirements, you will be invited to their branch office for a standard interview. This could include behavioral question, but then again more fit test. If you ace that round, they will give you a business plan. After reviewing the business plan and if they like it, you will be invited back to the office to give a presentation on your business plan.

Interview Question – The business plan itself. They will question your assumptions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Sales was not what I was looking for

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Financial Advisor Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Interview Details – Other comments you see on here regarding the interview process are accurate, so I won't go too much into further detail.

They'll pay you an initial salary, but your success is up to you. You have to be a hunter. You find the clients, then you make the money. To get the job, you have to do your own research and prove to them that you have a reasonably good plan to get clients. That's it.

NOT FOR YOU:
There's a huge failure rate, around 90%, because most people who apply are really looking for a "regular" job. They want specific duties, with a predictable salary, vacation time, personal time off, etc. If this is what you want, then this job is not for you.

THIS JOB IS FOR YOU:
If you're like me: Very passionate about the financial market, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, seeking opportunity to make a lot of money rather than "job security," want to get paid by your performance rather than wait for someone to retire in order to get a promotion, and want the backing of a huge brand, then this job is for you.

I was thrilled to discover this position because I've considered forking over $100ks to buy a franchise. Here, they pay me (first year)! How awesome is that. Basically, this is the way to think of this position.

Good luck!

Interview Question – The interview questions don't really matter. How do you plan on being successful? Do you have an existing network who can refer you business? Do you have wealthy friends and family? Do you know of an untapped market who need financial advice? Do the research, create a plan, prove to them you have a good chance of being successful, and you'll get the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Took first offer. Doesn't matter anyways since it slowly phases out.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Interview Details – Brief introduction of yourself.
The intern focused on marketing

Registered Client Service Associate Interview

Registered Client Service Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – I was hired at a time when they were on a hiring spree so it wasn't a rigorous process. I was already licensed and had some experience so was welcomed. They even took some people that hadn't been licensed.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything unexpected in this interview. I would say this was fairly typical, a good opportunity to meet the managers and let them know who I was.   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Interview Details – Asked questions of specific examples where I was able to utilize good customer service skills. Made sure I had good computer skills and good communication skills.

Interview Question – Name a time when you overcame an irate customer?   Answer Question

Service Associate Interview

Service Associate
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – I was contacted via phone directly by the hiring manager following my online application. An interview was set up in the following two weeks. Once I arrived, I sat down directly with the manager overseeing the position I was interviewing for. He was very intrigued about my past and jobs I'd held previously, and did not spend much time overviewing the job itself. after about 15 minutes, the interview concluded, and asked if I was interested in talking to two other managers. The next manager I spoke to held the same title as the first manager, but worked in a different location within the metropolitan area. The conversation flowed much easier. Questions about my strengths and weaknesses, hypothetical client interaction questions, and other typical interview points were covered. By the end of the 15, 20 minutes spent with this manager, and personally discussing traffic routes and the city, i was introduced to yet another manager, of whom presided as supervisor over both of the managers I had already spoken to.

This conversation was shorter, but flowed much easier than the previous two conversations. I was promised an answer on whether or not they wanted to bring me on board the following monday. Today is now Friday of that Monday, and I have not heard a word back, and have left voicemails with all three managers, as there was not a particular manager who was specified I should contact.

Interview Question – Describing your own biggest weakness is always a challenge for me. Most people try to stay positive, and focus on their strengths in order to overcome their weaknesses.   Answer Question

Wealth Management Intern Interview

Wealth Management Intern
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – Very straight forward hiring process. First, a phone interview that outlines the internship and they asks you about your experiences. After a couple of weeks, they schedule a face to face interview. General personality questions and indepth look into your previous experiences.

Interview Question – Do you know how to use excel?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

PRIVATE WEALTH INTERN Interview

PRIVATE WEALTH INTERN
Melville, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2011.

Interview Details – Got the job through a family friend, so the process was probably a lot shorter than usual. Received a phone call from an office manager that I could have a phone interview. Phone interview went well and I was offered a summer internship.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself 5 years after you graduate?   Answer Question