Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Relevance Date Difficulty

FAA Interview

FAA
Canton, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter and had phone interview. I then completed online assessment. Met with Branch Manager and then another meeting with the regional director.
After recieving no offer I was informed that I was qualified and they wanted me but there was only 3 spots available. 1 was taken by a guy the branch manager recruited and the other two were filled by other branches. The candidates already had a book of business they were bringing to the table. I was told that in the next round I will be considered if I was still interested.

Everybody was very professional and nice. Good experience overall.

Interview Question – Pretty standard. Very relaxed.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – Phone interview with Complex Service Manager, then interview with multiple financial advisors at the branches to find the best fit - mostly based on personalities meshing well. Final interview is with the Branch Manager.

Interview Question – Typical questions such as why did you leave your former employeer, why do you want to work here, why did you pick your major...etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room for negotiation, have to take what they give you.

Internship Interview

Internship
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2012.

Interview Details – Submit an application. Everyone will get an interview. There will be 5 interviewees and only 1 interviewer.

Interview Question – Tell about a time where you have to solve a problem within a team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Vice President Interview

Vice President
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – 11 interviews of 30 mins each. Intense and focused. No time to relax and 'sell' oneself. At the same time the interviewer didnt get an opportunity to ask tough questions.

Interview Question – No tough questions; in a 30 minute interview limited opportunity for such items.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation opportunity, more of a take it or leave it.

Client Service Associate Interview

Client Service Associate

I applied through other source and interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – I have had one interview in the office and one on the phone. I am most impressed by the friendly nature and of the employees and the professional atmosphere in the office. I have been treated in a highly respectful manner. The office interview was with two members of the team in need and the phone interview was with the director of the team.

Interview Question – Really there was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of questions... if prepared one would not be thrown off by any of the questions!   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on my university job board and got a call to come in for an interview, probably within a week. Met with a FA and two other of my lower supervisors, they asked basic questions about my resume and basically told me the job responsibilities. It was more them telling me stuff then interviewing them.

Interview Question – Please tell us about your customer service experience.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2010.

Interview Details – prepare business plan, including your own set of goals, expectation of success, very detailed book of business with solid realistic ideas that can be carried on in a reasonable time. Describe your targeted market and how you plan to access it.

Interview Question – getting clients without any support from corp.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – salary and hours of work.

Registered Operations Associate Interview

Registered Operations Associate
San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Interview Details – In office interview with Advisor, then one sit down interview with Manager, phone call with advisor and got hired. Really easy.

Interview Question – Give an example where you were a leader.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Financial Advisor Associate

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Interview Details – This was a long process. You have to submit some documents and go through a phone interview, and then 2 or 3 face to face interviews. They also like to make you chase them, so be persistent. The want you to treat them as a potential client, and they are looking for someone who will follow up and be professional.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a client that just will not say yes?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation here. They offered a job and salary and it was take it or leave it.

Vice President Technology Interview

Vice President Technology
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2012.

Interview Details – 7 Panel interview - including Executive Directors and VPs to confirm experience an day to day operation of technical project management.

Interview Question – Can you define requirements and track defects using industry standard tools and if so which tools.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was fair and expected - within 15 days of the interview process.