Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.8

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2013.

Called for interview and met with two people working within the department. The conversation was kept very casual.

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2013.

Intern position for the summer consisted of contacting the group I wished to work for and emailing them with a brief cover letter and resume, then a phone interview/chat and an in person conversation/interview.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you want to work for us rather than another industry/company?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2012.

Applied on my university job board and got a call to come in for an interview, probably within a week. Met with a FA and two other of my lower supervisors, they asked basic questions about my resume and basically told me the job responsibilities. It was more them telling me stuff then interviewing them.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about your customer service experience.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

They aggressively recruit and make lots of promises but widely do not deliver after you accept.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult...just want to know how many accounts can you bring them.   View Answer
    They sell future expectations of compensation. Looking back get your money upfront.

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Had to go through a multi-stage process to present a business plan on who we will be targeting and how we plan on landing them as clients. Must present your value proposition in front of a panel of managers and senior FAs and do mock interviews/cold calls. Known as a pre-production assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your target market going to be and how do you plan on reaching them and converting them to clients?   Answer Question

Operation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in October 2012.

Agent contact me first and take the interview in new york city office. interviewed with two managers approximately 1 hour. no technical question, few behavior questions and general job introduction. people are very nice. since it is a contract position, the term can't be decided. should be 6 months or 1 year, really depends on. there is opportunity to transfer to full time employee, but it will depends on your performance.

Interview Questions
    • need to be familiar with access and has good knowledge on excel; attention to detail   Answer Question

Financial Adviser Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

The entire interview is based on how much of your "friends & family" money you'll be able to bring in day one. And if you don't bring it in, you're fired in month 5.

Interview Questions
    With unemployment at (or over) 8% there wasn't much of a negotiation.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

I was referred by a friend so my interview was a breeze. It was more of a conversation really, and whether the position was right for me.

Interview Questions
    None, I was happy to get anything

Vice President Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2012.

7 Panel interview - including Executive Directors and VPs to confirm experience an day to day operation of technical project management.

Interview Questions
    • Can you define requirements and track defects using industry standard tools and if so which tools.   Answer Question
    It was fair and expected - within 15 days of the interview process.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2012.

Submit an application. Everyone will get an interview. There will be 5 interviewees and only 1 interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time where you have to solve a problem within a team.   Answer Question
    No negotiation