Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

2.5

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Other comments you see on here regarding the interview process are accurate, so I won't go too much into further detail.

They'll pay you an initial salary, but your success is up to you. You have to be a hunter. You find the clients, then you make the money. To get the job, you have to do your own research and prove to them that you have a reasonably good plan to get clients. That's it.

NOT FOR YOU:
    There's a huge failure rate, around 90%, because most people who apply are really looking for a "regular" job. They want specific duties, with a predictable salary, vacation time, personal time off, etc. If this is what you want, then this job is not for you.

THIS JOB IS FOR YOU:
    If you're like me: Very passionate about the financial market, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, seeking opportunity to make a lot of money rather than "job security," want to get paid by your performance rather than wait for someone to retire in order to get a promotion, and want the backing of a huge brand, then this job is for you.

I was thrilled to discover this position because I've considered forking over $100ks to buy a franchise. Here, they pay me (first year)! How awesome is that. Basically, this is the way to think of this position.

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • The interview questions don't really matter. How do you plan on being successful? Do you have an existing network who can refer you business? Do you have wealthy friends and family? Do you know of an untapped market who need financial advice? Do the research, create a plan, prove to them you have a good chance of being successful, and you'll get the job.   Answer Question
    None. Took first offer. Doesn't matter anyways since it slowly phases out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

Had to go through a multi-stage process to present a business plan on who we will be targeting and how we plan on landing them as clients. Must present your value proposition in front of a panel of managers and senior FAs and do mock interviews/cold calls. Known as a pre-production assessment.

Interview Questions
    • Who is your target market going to be and how do you plan on reaching them and converting them to clients?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2011.

The Interview was very easy. The interviewer asked basic behavioral questions and also went over my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2011.

The interview was with the Vice President/Branch Manager. He basically asked you how you would develop a business and marketing plan to acquire new clients. Basic interview questions like what are your strengths, why Morgan Stanley, etc... Being a Financial Advisor Associate is all about sales, so make sure you are outgoing and can communicate effectively.

Interview Questions
    I had other offers so I was able to negotiate a higher base salary with them.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in October 2010.

I called the company and spoke to the branch manager. He told me to fill out the application online. I did and failed the assessment test. He called me back and I convinced him to give me an interview anyway. He sent me the business plan template via e-mail and gave me one night to complete it. I felt like they were uninterested from the get go and made me jump through hoops anyway.

Registered Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in August 2010.

When phoned to set up the interview I was instructed to 'dress appropriately for a business office.' I have many years experience dealing with high-net worth clients, and know how to look. Did they expect me to show up in a bathing suit and flip-flops?! This was the first warning flag.

Early on in the interview I got the impression that I was just being interviewed so the hiring manager could report back to HQ that she had spoken with x number of candidates, without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, etc. etc.
    Very easy questions, real softballs. That was the giveaway that she wasn't really interested.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2009.

This interview was for a relatively small intern position at Smith Barney. At the time, they were undergoing massive change since they were merging with Morgan Stanley. The interview was quite easy the hardest part was making sure to come on time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about yourself not stated on your resume.   Answer Question

Portfolio Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2008.

When joining a Private Wealth Managemet firm, it's really about your team that dictates your corporate culture and not the branch itself. These guys were very laid back, and were more concerned with getting to know me as a person. I first had a phone interview with them, then had to pay for my own plane ticket to come out and see them. I interviewed with the team one at a time, and some upper management. Pretty standard, and I got hired!

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to calculate the Profit/Loss for several options.   Answer Question
    Straight to the point. They gave me the range, and I got the highest possible pay given my experience.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Woodland Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

The offices where great. Initially a very cordial woman greeted me and I had to wait for the financial advisor to clear his busy schedule. The interview was straight forward. They really want someone who has an entrepreneurial mind and that is willing to start from zero. They want to know to what extent you are willing to work for them and how much are you going to resist. Overall, they look for a hard worker.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2010.

Interview process essentially consisted of the branch manager asking me what type of production I vcould do and how many new assets I could bring in. It lasted about one hour and then I was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions

The payout and salary were not appropriate for my experience.

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!