Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2013.

Interview Details – Quick And easy, had one simple interview in-front of three current employees. Very professional but rigorous.

Interview Question – Why you want this position. They are looking for the right fit, it is to say there is no right or wrong answer to the question but just how you answer. They need to see that you are capable of being yourself and intelligent at the same time. This position required some face to face interaction and was extremely important in the review process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Moved to another, higher internship position.

San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2011.

Interview Details – The interview went very smoothly. It was a lot less structured than I had expected. The stockbroker had seemed more concerned about finding a perfect fit than someone intelligent enough for the position. With my finance background, it seemed more important to impress with my personality. Overall I was very satisfied, but it may differ from broker to broker.

Interview Question – What is the difference between managing a portfolio for a 30 year old and an 80 year old?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2012.

Interview Details – A friend of mine was already employed there and was asked to find suitable candidates for an intern position with one of the wealth management teams. He passed my resume on to his higher ups and I got a call shortly after. We arranged a time for me to come in for an interview. The interview itself was pretty relaxed. It included me and my two potential bosses. We just talked about what I did at my last internship and that turned in to a natural feeling conversation. It didn't take very long and they kept it very friendly, which I really enjoyed.

Interview Question – What did you do at your last internship?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews with the employer. Very simple questions relating to my work availability and what my Excel skills were. Interview is a breeze if you have personality and know how to shmooze.

Interview Question – On a scale of 1 to 10, how detail oriented do you find yourself? Why?   Answer Question

Mssb Intern

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with a financial advisor, who I was referred to through family connections. He was very cordial and did not press too hard with questions. Most of the questions were about my previous experience at UBS during my internship spring semester, and asking me what I knew about the markets and certain questions about financial products.

Interview Question – Tell me about your previous internship.   Answer Question

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!