Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated Mar 18, 2015

2.8

Global Wealth Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through my school's website, got a call about a week later to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was invited to have an in-office interview at the 399 Park Ave office, 12th floor, midtown New York. Interview lasted about 2 hours - with the Portfolio Management Group - first with the Registered Marketing Associate, then Client Service Associate, HR Manager and lastly with the Senior Portfolio Manager/Senior Vice President/Financial Advisor. Questions were mainly related to the experience, education, and how attained knowledge and experience can be translated into the work environment at Morgan Stanley. After the interview I got a call and an email with the offer and documentation for the background check and employment verification. Background check and employment verification took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

I declined an offer to continue working with the group mainly because of the disrespect, hostile environment, unstructured workflow and declining customer base.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY).

Interview

11 interviews of 30 mins each. Intense and focused. No time to relax and 'sell' oneself. At the same time the interviewer didnt get an opportunity to ask tough questions.

Interview Questions

• No tough questions; in a 30 minute interview limited opportunity for such items.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation opportunity, more of a take it or leave it.

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY).

Interview

I interviewed to be an intern here and it was relatively easy. The group that I was interviewing for called me in. They wanted to have an interactive, fun, and personable intern to work for them. They asked me questions mostly based on my resume, and not much else. They knew that everyone at the school they were selecting interviews from was competent, so it really came down to FIT and personality questions.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Called for interview and met with two people working within the department. The conversation was kept very casual.

Operation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Agent contact me first and take the interview in new york city office. interviewed with two managers approximately 1 hour. no technical question, few behavior questions and general job introduction. people are very nice. since it is a contract position, the term can't be decided. should be 6 months or 1 year, really depends on. there is opportunity to transfer to full time employee, but it will depends on your performance.

Interview Questions

• need to be familiar with access and has good knowledge on excel; attention to detail   Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

I called a family friend who is a Financial Advisor at Morgan Stanley. He asked me to come to the office and meet the team. After introducing me to the other financial advisor on the team he introduced me to his three assistants. He then brought me into a conference room and gave me a brief interview.
    He asked me about my background. Where I was from? What I was learning at school? He asked me about some of my interests and what I like doing for fun. Then he gave me a brief description of the work he did and explained the role I would have.

Vice President Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (Jersey City, NJ) in July 2012.

Interview

7 Panel interview - including Executive Directors and VPs to confirm experience an day to day operation of technical project management.

Interview Questions

• Can you define requirements and track defects using industry standard tools and if so which tools.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was fair and expected - within 15 days of the interview process.

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online, five days later I received a personality test which I completed and sent back the same day. Three weeks later I received a phone call from the Branch managers assistant to come in a week later. I went in to the interview and the manager was very down to earth; he liked my past experience and sent a business plan template to complete. He stated the whole process would take about 3 weeks (which is complete BS. They are such a big organization; they are clueless on what is going on). I received a call 3 weeks later to meet with an FAA that told me how hard of a time I will have raising money, and talked about his little piker business and how MSSB's salary is a draw that has to be paid back (which is expected in this industry).

I made the mistake of holding informal meetings with family and friends telling them I was making a switch into wealth management. I waited and waited for the last interview for 4 weeks. I met with a senior FA for another redundant waste of my time interview and I could clearly tell he was intimidated by my track record and connections.

Interview Questions

This people are a waste of time when it comes to interviewing professionals. No wonder they are collapsing since all they do is hire people with no real work experience or recent grads, and make no accommodations to real producers. They talk to you as if you have no clue what is going on in the industry.
    I decided to take my business to an asset management firm that is very accommodating.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Very informative as to what they expect and want to hear from MSSB's candidates. Held pre interview sessions that really helped alot. During the interview, the person wanted to get to know us and understand what it is that led us to Finance. Did not get to move on to the superday, but definitely learned from the entire process. Helped me in the long run to understand what employers really expect and want to see in you. Apply to as many places as you can, and attend as many interviews as given. Even if you do not think that you will get the job, the experience is indeed very valuable.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you experienced or discovered innovation   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

Firstly, the entire process, including the coordination was very professional and well organized. The interviewers were very friendly and candid. They asked questions pertaining to past experience and were also willing to answer questions related to the role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something about yourself that is not on your resume   Answer Question