Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Updated May 2, 2015

2.7

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (White Plains, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

4 interviews at 30 mins each. Sorta a waste of time only to be outshined by an ivey leaguer - questions were mostly personality based with very little technical knowledge questioned or sales skills needed - simply pitching yourself Have read a recent book that you can talk about, know some basic economics and youre good

Private Wealth Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

I saw the job posting on school's career website. To prepare for the interview, I read over their website and searched online about the company and the job position and used Vault as a guide. Its an one on one interview. The office is very nice and pretty. There is no team work. People work by themselves, pretty much like a sales person.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

I was given a behaviorial interview for the beginning stages of the position. I was never again contacted to be notified of whether or not I was declined or accepted for an on-site interview. Needless to say, I was rather disappointed with the moral of the company to not even have the decency to send an e-mail to aware me of the situation, even after I had reached out more than once.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were in a group and your members weren't pulling their weight.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

My boss was very good. I came in for a day to see how the office was run. I spent time with people in the training program and they told me about the day to day activity of the firm. I also spent time with various secretaries to handle all the necessary paperwork of being in the office. From there I had to wait several days before I could enter the office.

FA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

Seems like nice place, easy going

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you   1 Answer
    • what type of hours do you see yourself putting in first year   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Only one interview, face to face Friendly staff and interviewer The position was given to someone who applied internally, but overall the experience was great

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

I got the contact through a recruiter. They called me for a phone interview to ask about my experience, and at then to also schedule a time to a 1:1 interview. I was then placed with a team for a interview with the head of the group. I got the offer from the team head, pending manager approval. The third time I went there, I had to prepare a business plan which I presented and then was given the official offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you plan on targeting high net worth individuals and getting access to them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasnt' much room for me to negotiate. The range is from 45-65K base for the first two/three years of the program. However, by 18 months, they start weening you off the base salary and putting you more on commission.

Vice President Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview process at MS was pretty straight forward. After having been submitted by an external recruiter, I was interviewed in person (no phone screen) by the hiring manager in his office. The interview went well and I believe the questions were more his own, i.e. it didn't feel like he followed a company assigned script. After the first interview, I was invited to speak to 2 peers of his during the same visit. Those interviews were very high-level and friendly. Finally I was interviewed by the hiring manager's boss a few days later. That interview was a little tougher and it felt like he was trying to stress test me a bit, but overall it was fine. The offer came in about a week after the final interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The hiring manager set my expectation as to the salary range right away so there hadn't been much negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

Only talked to three people: the hiring manager, the team lead, and an outside expert. I just informally talked with the manager on a walk in the city, it was mostly for him to present the project and assess my personality. The team lead asked me about my experience and we chatted about my prior work experience. Not a single tech question. The outside expert had some tougher questions, most (but not all) I could answer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. They matched my previous salary, hinting but not promising more.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

There was initial n campus interview by the VPs of morgan stanley.. Then the shortlisted candidates were called for on-site final superday interview..which consisted of one Lego Group Activity followed by a presentation. Then there were three 1:1 interviews by associates/directors of MSSB.. It is very fast paced and strategic..

Interview Questions

• Why should MSSB hire you over other candidates?   1 Answer