Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

2.8

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in October 2010.

I was given a behaviorial interview for the beginning stages of the position. I was never again contacted to be notified of whether or not I was declined or accepted for an on-site interview. Needless to say, I was rather disappointed with the moral of the company to not even have the decency to send an e-mail to aware me of the situation, even after I had reached out more than once.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were in a group and your members weren't pulling their weight.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in August 2010.

My boss was very good. I came in for a day to see how the office was run. I spent time with people in the training program and they told me about the day to day activity of the firm. I also spent time with various secretaries to handle all the necessary paperwork of being in the office. From there I had to wait several days before I could enter the office.

FA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in July 2010.

Seems like nice place, easy going

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you   View Answer
    • what type of hours do you see yourself putting in first year   View Answer

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2010.

I got the contact through a recruiter. They called me for a phone interview to ask about my experience, and at then to also schedule a time to a 1:1 interview. I was then placed with a team for a interview with the head of the group. I got the offer from the team head, pending manager approval. The third time I went there, I had to prepare a business plan which I presented and then was given the official offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you plan on targeting high net worth individuals and getting access to them.   View Answer
    There wasnt' much room for me to negotiate. The range is from 45-65K base for the first two/three years of the program. However, by 18 months, they start weening you off the base salary and putting you more on commission.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2010.

Only one interview, face to face
    Friendly staff and interviewer
    The position was given to someone who applied internally, but overall the experience was great

Vice President Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2010.

The interview process at MS was pretty straight forward. After having been submitted by an external recruiter, I was interviewed in person (no phone screen) by the hiring manager in his office. The interview went well and I believe the questions were more his own, i.e. it didn't feel like he followed a company assigned script. After the first interview, I was invited to speak to 2 peers of his during the same visit. Those interviews were very high-level and friendly. Finally I was interviewed by the hiring manager's boss a few days later. That interview was a little tougher and it felt like he was trying to stress test me a bit, but overall it was fine. The offer came in about a week after the final interview.

Interview Questions
    The hiring manager set my expectation as to the salary range right away so there hadn't been much negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in April 2010.

Only talked to three people: the hiring manager, the team lead, and an outside expert. I just informally talked with the manager on a walk in the city, it was mostly for him to present the project and assess my personality. The team lead asked me about my experience and we chatted about my prior work experience. Not a single tech question. The outside expert had some tougher questions, most (but not all) I could answer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They matched my previous salary, hinting but not promising more.

Private Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2010.

It was an on campus recruitment. Submitted my resume and then got selected for an interview. At the interview they asked a lot of behaviorals and some technicals (one or two).

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2010.

There was initial n campus interview by the VPs of morgan stanley..
    Then the shortlisted candidates were called for on-site final superday interview..which consisted of one Lego Group Activity followed by a presentation. Then there were three 1:1 interviews by associates/directors of MSSB.. It is very fast paced and strategic..

Interview Questions
    • Why should MSSB hire you over other candidates?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2010.

Contacted three weeks after applying on website, interview scheduled for following week. For whatever reason I thought the initial interview was going to be more experience-driven but it was entirely technical, which I wasn't particularly prepared for. So the interview was relatively difficult for me at the time but had I been better prepared it would have been middle-of-the-road.