Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Relevance Date Difficulty

Brokerage Assistant Interview

Brokerage Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in October 2011.

Interview Details – After I applied I received an email stating I needed to take a skills test which took approximately 30 minutes, it ranged from personality based questions to simple math and logic questions. After this test I was invited for a 1:1 interview. I spoke to the broker for about 45 minutes and found out I needed to be licensed (I had been but lost my license because I didnt work in the industry for 2 years) he told me that he would schedule me immediately and that I would get a salary of 35000 for 1 year then it would be commission/fee only.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you had to persuade someone to your point of view.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered the position but declined because I found another position with a firm that paid a larger base and lower comissions.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2010.

Interview Details – Only one interview, face to face
Friendly staff and interviewer
The position was given to someone who applied internally, but overall the experience was great

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Summer Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2012.

Interview Details – Very informative as to what they expect and want to hear from MSSB's candidates. Held pre interview sessions that really helped alot. During the interview, the person wanted to get to know us and understand what it is that led us to Finance. Did not get to move on to the superday, but definitely learned from the entire process. Helped me in the long run to understand what employers really expect and want to see in you. Apply to as many places as you can, and attend as many interviews as given. Even if you do not think that you will get the job, the experience is indeed very valuable.

Interview Question – Name a time where you experienced or discovered innovation   Answer Question

Mssb Intern Interview

Mssb Intern
New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in May 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews with the employer. Very simple questions relating to my work availability and what my Excel skills were. Interview is a breeze if you have personality and know how to shmooze.

Interview Question – On a scale of 1 to 10, how detail oriented do you find yourself? Why?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Finance
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in August 2010.

Interview Details – My boss was very good. I came in for a day to see how the office was run. I spent time with people in the training program and they told me about the day to day activity of the firm. I also spent time with various secretaries to handle all the necessary paperwork of being in the office. From there I had to wait several days before I could enter the office.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in September 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was held with a panel (3 people) and in addition to myself, my competitor for the position as well. We were interviewed together being asked the same questions ranging from personal to info about the company. Did not get the offer due to several reasons (completely my fault) however they were extremely respectful, and it was a good unique experience.

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Financial Advisor Trainee
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in June 2010.

Interview Details – I got the contact through a recruiter. They called me for a phone interview to ask about my experience, and at then to also schedule a time to a 1:1 interview. I was then placed with a team for a interview with the head of the group. I got the offer from the team head, pending manager approval. The third time I went there, I had to prepare a business plan which I presented and then was given the official offer.

Interview Question – Tell me how you plan on targeting high net worth individuals and getting access to them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasnt' much room for me to negotiate. The range is from 45-65K base for the first two/three years of the program. However, by 18 months, they start weening you off the base salary and putting you more on commission.

Account Transfer Interview

Account Transfer
Jersey City, NJ

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in January 2009.

Interview Details – Meet with HR and 1:1 interview very easy asked about work experience

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in February 2011.

Interview Details – applied through my school's career services center and got their email in two days.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Melville, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in March 2011.

Interview Details – Initially, there was a phone conversation where I had to speak to the Vice President. He mostly asked me questions pertaining to school and the courses I was taking. After that, he asked several questions about my hobbies and interests. Finally, he asked me why I was applying to the position. After the initial phone interview, 2 weeks later I got called in for a second face to face interview.

Interview Question – Why did you apply for this position?   Answer Question