Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

www.morganstanleysmithbarney.com
  www.morganstanleysmithbarney.com

Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Registered Client Service Associate Interview Questions

2.3

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Registered Client Service Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

I was hired at a time when they were on a hiring spree so it wasn't a rigorous process. I was already licensed and had some experience so was welcomed. They even took some people that hadn't been licensed.

Interview Questions
  • There wasn't anything unexpected in this interview. I would say this was fairly typical, a good opportunity to meet the managers and let them know who I was.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in August 2010.

When phoned to set up the interview I was instructed to 'dress appropriately for a business office.' I have many years experience dealing with high-net worth clients, and know how to look. Did they expect me to show up in a bathing suit and flip-flops?! This was the first warning flag.

Early on in the interview I got the impression that I was just being interviewed so the hiring manager could report back to HQ that she had spoken with x number of candidates, without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, etc. etc.
    Very easy questions, real softballs. That was the giveaway that she wasn't really interested.

Registered Client Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.

2 interviews with different members of my future team

Interview Questions
    • "I'm not sure I really know you, do I want to know you?"   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Registered Client Service Associate Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in December 2009.

I was a summer intern working for a Branch Manager senior year of college. I told him I would like to be a Client Service Associate upon graduation and he linked me up with a Service Manager in the complex to interview for a position.
     I met with the Senior Complex Service Manager who oversee's all CSA's in the complex. We discussed why I was a good candidate as a CSA with the firm and what experience's in my past employers lead me to this point in my career. We discussed what the position entails, who I could possibly be working with, and the general office environment. I was told I needed to be Series 7 and 66 registered with in 6 months and I would be given all materials necessary to prepare in advance.
    Questions I would pose are 1. what F.A.'s you would be working with, if it does not come up in conversation. 2. Expectation that Supplement Compensation must be paid and if the F.A's had arrangements with previous CSA's who covered them. 3. If you have three years of work experience ask for 3 weeks of vacation in your agreement. 4. If your registered CSA with previous experience ask for $55,000 base salary as its known to be the maximum a complex can pay a CSA without having to go to Regional approval. All CSA"s and FA trainee's salaries are paid out of the complex pool of P/L. Somone is getting the salary, might as well be you. 5. Make sure they know how hard of a worker you are and the team player you will be helping others with questions that come up.

The Service Managers are really not very impressive, seems like too many of them and the Joint Venture will trim some of the fat there. The Complex Risk Officers are quite knowledgeable and competent. They are looking out for your interest as a CSA/FA first and foremost even when they seem to be overlying prying. The offices are old and really the only good thing about them are they tend to be centrally located to parking and somewhat main street locations. The offices don't have too much action or buzz in them, most CSA's work there 8 hour day and get out. The low base salaries tend to make people work with a bit less care and at tentativeness then should generally put forth.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of current stock market environment?   View Answer
    • How would someone describe you as a person?   View Answer
    Ask for $55,000 if you have previous work experience and if they counter with we can only offer $46,000 say $53,000. Go down by $2,000 increments, nothing more. Generally unregistered CSA' s will not be paid more than $42,000 initially and be aware raises are seriously difficult to get almost ever.