Morgan Stanley Software Developer Interview Questions

3.3

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Budapest, MO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in April 2014.

I applied as a Java developer. The process took 2 weeks. After 2 initial phone interviews ,one technical and one for testing my english skills, I was interviewed in the Budapest office of the company. First,we had a group exercise, after which i had the technical interview, i was asked about hashtable, hashmap, multi threading, strings ,mostly thread safety questions. after which i had an interpersonal interview with the HR and i was asked questions about time management and team skills.

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2014.

I applied online and was selected for a telephonic interview. The telephonic interview lasted approximately an hour.

The questions were mainly from Java/ SQL.

Typical question were like,

OO Design principles (SOLID), Java Concurrency (Volatile), Java GC (References: Soft, Weak), Event driven and asynchronous programming

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Through college career site. 3 interviews. Standard Programming questions. String reversal. Binary Search.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

I went through my school's campus recruiting. Had an on campus interview that was mostly fit and some easy algorithm questions. Then got invited back for on site interviews. Had a big group interview that tested ability to work as a group. Then had 4 one on one interviews. Didn't receive and offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2009.

They have a rigorous interview process. After a 45minute long IQ test with a manager. I got on a phone conference with about 3 PMs in the UK where they asked me technical questions about my skills. The initial phone interview was very technical as well.

Interview Questions
    • An IQ test to calculate distance and time.   View Answer
    There was no solid negotiation. They knew how much they wanted to pay and they weren't willing to negotiate. They had an either take it or leave it attitude.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2011.

First they came to my school (Columbia uni) to conduct 1 on 1 interviews for the selected students. It was a 30 minutes interview. He started by asking the usual behavioral questions and tried to know my specific programming background. Then went down to the specifics by asking some tech questions. after that was the on-site interview which was much more tech. Amongst the problems I solved was:

He asked me to implement a function that checked if a number equals its reverse (eg 253 != 352). If it isn't, my function adds the number to itself and checks again. And then he asked me to read a file that has ice-cream flavors on each line, and then return the top 10 appearing flavors

Interview Questions
    • How would you write an algorithm to find the solution to a maze   View Answer
    • Implement a dictionary that returned a word search in O(1) time   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

The entire process took about 4 interviews. First, with the director of the area, then with software developers from NY, then with HR vice president and finally I the offered me the position. I

Interview Questions
    • How to detect where a variable is allocated (HEAP or STACK).   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mumbai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in August 2014.

Online test followed by telephonic rounds of interviews. The person who was taking the interview didn't had any knowledge of the technology and told me to hold up the phone for 10 mins in between. Then he started asking oneliner questions, looked like he was reading questions from somewhere. I got mail in 10 mins after the interview that you didn't clear the interview. I hope next time when they tell someone to take the interview, the person is atleast competent to do so and please don't waste someones valuable time.

Interview Questions
    • How many threads garbage collector uses?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Budapest (Hungary)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2011.

The interviewing process was a bit slow, but very correct.

My first interview was a phone screening and some HR discussion, which took 30-40 mins and covered OOP principles, basic C# coding questions, multithreading, etc.

The second (C# core), the third (Tech-breadth) and the 4th (Manager?) interviews were on site with 2 different teams, both took 1 hour each. Some of the questions were covering the phone screening ones again, language elements, data-structures, algorithms and problem solving. On the tech-breadth interview I was asked about OSes, networking, XML, multithreading, web protocols, etc.. The manager interview was kind of an inter-personal discussion with situational examples, motivation, etc..

The very last interview was a team-fit interview, which was a bit redundant and is a kind of a mixture of all the above again within my new team-members.

All in all it was good and I am glad that I was hired.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2013.

There were 5 rounds in total. The first round consisted of coding test, where you are given 45 minutes and you have to solve 4 problems. The problems were based on DFS, Array Searching, String Manipulation and Trees. Then we had a 1:1 interview. We were asked basic C,C++ or Java (our preference) stuff.and little about threads, IPC in OS. Then few people were eliminated. Then we had a GD with some photographs given and we all needed to form a story. Then we had a final 1:1 technical round. The last round was totally biased. Some people were just asked standard nqueens problem and basic of programming and I was asked to design a gtalk application with all the frontend, backend, classes, use cases in addition to three coding problems and puzzles The last round was an HR round.

Interview Questions
    • The last round consisted of designing an entire gtalk application in addition to three coding problems and puzzles   Answer Question

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!