Morgan Stanley

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Budapest, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied as a Java developer. The process took 2 weeks. After 2 initial phone interviews ,one technical and one for testing my english skills, I was interviewed in the Budapest office of the company. First,we had a group exercise, after which i had the technical interview, i was asked about hashtable, hashmap, multi threading, strings ,mostly thread safety questions. after which i had an interpersonal interview with the HR and i was asked questions about time management and team skills.

Interview Question – hashmap vs hashtable?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was selected for a telephonic interview. The telephonic interview lasted approximately an hour.

The questions were mainly from Java/ SQL.

Typical question were like,

OO Design principles (SOLID), Java Concurrency (Volatile), Java GC (References: Soft, Weak), Event driven and asynchronous programming

Interview Question – Nothing as such   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – Through college career site. 3 interviews. Standard Programming questions. String reversal. Binary Search.

Interview Question – Closure Functions   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – I went through my school's campus recruiting. Had an on campus interview that was mostly fit and some easy algorithm questions. Then got invited back for on site interviews. Had a big group interview that tested ability to work as a group. Then had 4 one on one interviews. Didn't receive and offer

Interview Question – Reverse a linked list   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2009.

Interview Details – They have a rigorous interview process. After a 45minute long IQ test with a manager. I got on a phone conference with about 3 PMs in the UK where they asked me technical questions about my skills. The initial phone interview was very technical as well.

Interview Question – An IQ test to calculate distance and time.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no solid negotiation. They knew how much they wanted to pay and they weren't willing to negotiate. They had an either take it or leave it attitude.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2011.

Interview Details – First they came to my school (Columbia uni) to conduct 1 on 1 interviews for the selected students. It was a 30 minutes interview. He started by asking the usual behavioral questions and tried to know my specific programming background. Then went down to the specifics by asking some tech questions. after that was the on-site interview which was much more tech. Amongst the problems I solved was:

He asked me to implement a function that checked if a number equals its reverse (eg 253 != 352). If it isn't, my function adds the number to itself and checks again. And then he asked me to read a file that has ice-cream flavors on each line, and then return the top 10 appearing flavors

Interview Questions

• How would you write an algorithm to find the solution to a maze   View Answer
  • Implement a dictionary that returned a word search in O(1) time   View Answer

Pune (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2013.

Interview Details – There were 5 rounds in total. The first round consisted of coding test, where you are given 45 minutes and you have to solve 4 problems. The problems were based on DFS, Array Searching, String Manipulation and Trees. Then we had a 1:1 interview. We were asked basic C,C++ or Java (our preference) stuff.and little about threads, IPC in OS. Then few people were eliminated. Then we had a GD with some photographs given and we all needed to form a story. Then we had a final 1:1 technical round. The last round was totally biased. Some people were just asked standard nqueens problem and basic of programming and I was asked to design a gtalk application with all the frontend, backend, classes, use cases in addition to three coding problems and puzzles The last round was an HR round.

Interview Question – The last round consisted of designing an entire gtalk application in addition to three coding problems and puzzles   Answer Question

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through other source and interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – phone interviewer and f2f , three interviewers one by one. Java GC mechanism , implement a Array List and hashmap. write a Singleton Class. Database performance tuning.. Some of design questions.

Interview Question – Database performance tuning.. sql tunnng..   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – I started to work as a contractor for them , but the interviews were done by morgan stanley. I had about 6 interviews. It was a straight forward process and not complicated as long as you are well prepared.

Interview Question – how do you write "2008" at the console using any language without any ?number in your code   View Answers (2)

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2013.

Interview Details – Submit through campus career fair. Got a 1:1 interview on-campus, which led to a on-site one week later. The questions are typical algorithms one could expect, plus some multi-thread concepts, polymorphism. In the final round they did ask questions on SQL.

Interview Question – The group activity contains surprises, they did forbid group members talking after 10min from the starting.   Answer Question

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!