Morgan Stanley Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Budapest, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Budapest, MO) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied as a Java developer. The process took 2 weeks. After 2 initial phone interviews ,one technical and one for testing my english skills, I was interviewed in the Budapest office of the company. First,we had a group exercise, after which i had the technical interview, i was asked about hashtable, hashmap, multi threading, strings ,mostly thread safety questions. after which i had an interpersonal interview with the HR and i was asked questions about time management and team skills.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY).

Interview

Through college career site. 3 interviews. Standard Programming questions. String reversal. Binary Search.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was selected for a telephonic interview. The telephonic interview lasted approximately an hour. The questions were mainly from Java/ SQL. Typical question were like, OO Design principles (SOLID), Java Concurrency (Volatile), Java GC (References: Soft, Weak), Event driven and asynchronous programming

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

I went through my school's campus recruiting. Had an on campus interview that was mostly fit and some easy algorithm questions. Then got invited back for on site interviews. Had a big group interview that tested ability to work as a group. Then had 4 one on one interviews. Didn't receive and offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

First they came to my school (Columbia uni) to conduct 1 on 1 interviews for the selected students. It was a 30 minutes interview. He started by asking the usual behavioral questions and tried to know my specific programming background. Then went down to the specifics by asking some tech questions. after that was the on-site interview which was much more tech. Amongst the problems I solved was: He asked me to implement a function that checked if a number equals its reverse (eg 253 != 352). If it isn't, my function adds the number to itself and checks again. And then he asked me to read a file that has ice-cream flavors on each line, and then return the top 10 appearing flavors

Interview Questions

• How would you write an algorithm to find the solution to a maze   1 Answer
    • Implement a dictionary that returned a word search in O(1) time   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in July 2009.

Interview

They have a rigorous interview process. After a 45minute long IQ test with a manager. I got on a phone conference with about 3 PMs in the UK where they asked me technical questions about my skills. The initial phone interview was very technical as well.

Interview Questions

• An IQ test to calculate distance and time.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no solid negotiation. They knew how much they wanted to pay and they weren't willing to negotiate. They had an either take it or leave it attitude.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Technical interviewing is done by both junior and senior developers, from given questions and also everyones taste. Usually easy, but some developers are too picky. Usual steps are HR phone screen, technical phone screen, personal technical interview, core technical, technilcal breadth, manager interview. and sometimes many more.

Interview Questions

• basics of OOP, the main principles. usual logical questions. threading, concurrency. really nothing special   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Mumbai (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

I did not feel like i gave an interview. In Fact, it was a long (1 hour and 10 mins) lecture and torture. Interviewer had very limited knowledge and was very rude. he was continuously speaking and was not allowing me to speak. Interviewer lacked proper experience and communications skills as he was not able to explain questions. I felt like interviewer was reading from somewhere and wanted to only listen what is written as answer there on his/her notes.

Interview Questions

• Simple questions around OOPS, Data structure and SQL queries.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

One hour interview via the phone. Two guys on the company side: one leading the interview, the other one mostly listening. The whole conversation was led in a professional and friendly atmosphere. First overview of the company, department and job I applied for. Then I had to introduce myself, describe my previous roles and projects. The last part was a set of scenario-based questions from Java and Linux areas. Nothing extraordinary, but you have to be prepared to dive deep into the solution details.

Interview Questions

• Write a producer-consumer in Java by using low-level thread API   Answer Question
    • Something about storing unique items in map/collections. Which is better for given scenario, why, what is equals/hashCode?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (Montreal, QC (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

Group interview, individual interview, in person interview at first. Different questions and assessments about everything. Overall, it was thorough and there were a lot of people there and different interviewers, employees, etc. who are all assessing what you are doing, saying, etc.