Morgan Stanley

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – Initial interview on campus. Asked about my resume, accomplishments, what I want to achieve, general questions.
Second interview was in the city. Upon arrival, I was told I was interviewing for several positions rather than one with very little information about what they entailed exactly.

I had went with my friend, whom had applied exactly the same way as me. He was "placed" into the "Business Analyst" program and I was placed into the "Software Engineer Tech" program somehow.

Initially it began as a large group project where we had to design, plan, and advertise an event.
After presenting this, the next part of interviews involved face-to-face 45 minute technical interviews. It was like programming speed-dating, and I didn't expect anything like it. I talked to about 5 different people with dramatically different and rather deep technical questions about various programming designs, paradigms, and specifics. Some of which I've never heard of and doubt I will until my senior semester. It felt very rushed too, with only a few minutes to answer each question. Some interviewers wanted me to write the code in any language of my preference too.

One troubling part of these interviews was multiple times I was asked, or presumed, I knew MySQL in depth by different interview people. It never said that on my resume, the intern requirements, or anything of that nature.

As for my friend, he said he had very laid-back and non-technical questions. Said it was one of the easiest interviews he's done. Despite the fact we both went in with similar skills, goals, and for the same position, it felt very wrong.

Interview Question – How would you go about creating a multi-threaded application? In C++, what are some libraries you would use?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in April 2013.

Interview Details – Very short, technical interview with an engineer.
Only one question.

Interview Question – Was asked by a software engineer how to reverse a string using as little memory as possible.   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Morgan Stanley

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley Software Engineer Intern interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley employees and interview candidates.