Morgan Stanley

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley

Interview Details – Telephone interview merely consisting of questions on concurrency and garbage collection. Also some questions on collections and project management. Very friendly interviewer who guided when needed. It was a nice experience.

Interview Question – Explain how a HashMap works.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley

Interview Details – Applied to a recruiter and got a phone interview. Interview was on Deadlock, Asked about how to avoid deadlock and how to detect them. The interviewer was very friendly and the interview was fluent. Not too technical questions but I think Morgan Stanley asks a lot on multithreading and since i am not too much into it , I don't expect it to move forward.

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – HR was nice. but interviewer asked way too much detail. Problem solving was easy but very technical. No behavioral questions. All detailed technical.

Interview Question – How does JVM manage cyclic references? Does JVM collect variables that have cyclic references?
What are different types of locks in multi-threading? Do you know about semaphore lock?
What is a good hashcode? How to generate hashcode? How does map.put work?
what is the complexity of hashtable?
If you have a very large text file. You have comma separated characters. How do you know how many times a word appeared? How will you print the first maximum top 10 words.
  Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2014.

Interview Details – I got the first round on campus. Interviews gave three questions about brain teaser. The first one is to find 1 item that has different weight among 8 items using scale. And then, I moved to final round. I met four interviewers each for 30 minutes. They gave questions from basic Java questions like Auto boxing, to practical questions such as sorting text files that has many columns, data tracking in DB for the chess game. It was good experience for me.

Interview Question – How to sort data in each columns in a file. Should put all data on memory.   View Answers (2)

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2011.

Interview Details – Very standard technical questions such as comparison between Java and C++. No white board code writing. No problem solving. Just dig into some previous experience.

Interview Question – How to define career success?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2012.

Interview Details – My resume was sent to the Hiring Manager, HR called me and phone interview was scheduled in 2 days.

On the 1 hour phone interview:
what projects I worked on, on what parts specifically.
Hashing, Equals question: see Java API rules, good hashing, what if return 0; how HashMap works. Collections, basic, synchronized, concurrent, efficiency. Threading, blocking queue, volatile.
Problem solving: array with prices in time order, what is the worst buy-sell case? cant sell before buy.

Next Monday 4 times 1 hour long 1 to 1 interview.
Java equlas, hashCode with examples. Final keyword in Java, final method, constructor in abstract class. Concurrency questions.
Implement mergesort, impement printing (sub)folders, files, recursive, non-recursive,
How to test a 3rd party library with multiple threads: completion service or blocking queue.
4 employees in room, they want to know average salary without exposing it to anyone: how?

Interview Question – Implement mergesort,   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2012.

Interview Details – Asked me a few questions on my resume.
Then all was on OOPs concept, multithreading, algorithms

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2011.

Interview Details – Applied for a Java developer position. Had an initial one-person phone interview and then a in-person interview at their NYC office with three developers. Everyone was really nice, even though the last interviewer asked me a bunch of questions that were really tough and in-depth questions on Java serialization and generics (the previous interviewers asked me core Java questions, including questions on concurrency and multi-threading).

Interview Questions

• What are the two functions you need to implement in a class in order to make it usable efficiently in Java Collections?   View Answer
  • How do you implement a singleton in Java? Make it thread-safe.   View Answers (2)
  • Lots of concurrency, multi-threading questions.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interviewer was not a native speaker. He seemed more nervous that I did over the phone. The interview started with the introduction of myself - origin, school, projects done, strength. Then he asked what I would be after five years. I said I would become a project manager, interacting with business clients. I think my answer appeared that I prefer the business side to the software developer side, which might be why I was declined the offer. He then asked several technical questions, particular about Java: (1) what is the pros and cons of an array and a hashtable; (2) can a java class extend more than one class; (3) what is the difference between Running time exception and normal exception. The interview concluded with my asking some questions about him, such as what is the working environment there.

Interview Question – What is the difference between a Running time exception and a normal exception   View Answers (2)

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in June 2014.

Interview Details – very tiring it went through the whole say ..its agood company and the HRs were quite friendly and took the interview very normally ...they asked me in depth about all the core subjects ,so deep knowledge of the subject is required ..

Interview Question – i was asked very deep concepts of semaphores in operating system   Answer Question

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!