Morgan Stanley Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.5

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in September 2014.

Interview

I signed up for the interview through my college's career system and they reviewed my resume online and accepted me for an interview in person at my college's career center. There was no HR interview and this was the first in a series of stages of interviews. This was primarily a technical interview and the interviewer will review your resume and then ask you technical based questions especially related to time complexity

Interview Questions

• Questions were asked on reversing a string, fibonacci numbers and time complexity of various data structures   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Telephone interview merely consisting of questions on concurrency and garbage collection. Also some questions on collections and project management. Very friendly interviewer who guided when needed. It was a nice experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied to a recruiter and got a phone interview. Interview was on Deadlock, Asked about how to avoid deadlock and how to detect them. The interviewer was very friendly and the interview was fluent. Not too technical questions but I think Morgan Stanley asks a lot on multithreading and since i am not too much into it , I don't expect it to move forward.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview

HR was nice. but interviewer asked way too much detail. Problem solving was easy but very technical. No behavioral questions. All detailed technical.

Interview Questions

• How does JVM manage cyclic references? Does JVM collect variables that have cyclic references?
      What are different types of locks in multi-threading? Do you know about semaphore lock?
      What is a good hashcode? How to generate hashcode? How does map.put work?
      what is the complexity of hashtable?
      If you have a very large text file. You have comma separated characters. How do you know how many times a word appeared? How will you print the first maximum top 10 words.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2014.

Interview

I got the first round on campus. Interviews gave three questions about brain teaser. The first one is to find 1 item that has different weight among 8 items using scale. And then, I moved to final round. I met four interviewers each for 30 minutes. They gave questions from basic Java questions like Auto boxing, to practical questions such as sorting text files that has many columns, data tracking in DB for the chess game. It was good experience for me.

Interview Questions

• How to sort data in each columns in a file. Should put all data on memory.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

My resume was sent to the Hiring Manager, HR called me and phone interview was scheduled in 2 days.

On the 1 hour phone interview:
    what projects I worked on, on what parts specifically.
    Hashing, Equals question: see Java API rules, good hashing, what if return 0; how HashMap works. Collections, basic, synchronized, concurrent, efficiency. Threading, blocking queue, volatile.
    Problem solving: array with prices in time order, what is the worst buy-sell case? cant sell before buy.

Next Monday 4 times 1 hour long 1 to 1 interview.
    Java equlas, hashCode with examples. Final keyword in Java, final method, constructor in abstract class. Concurrency questions.
    Implement mergesort, impement printing (sub)folders, files, recursive, non-recursive,
    How to test a 3rd party library with multiple threads: completion service or blocking queue.
    4 employees in room, they want to know average salary without exposing it to anyone: how?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Asked me a few questions on my resume.
    Then all was on OOPs concept, multithreading, algorithms

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

Applied for a Java developer position. Had an initial one-person phone interview and then a in-person interview at their NYC office with three developers. Everyone was really nice, even though the last interviewer asked me a bunch of questions that were really tough and in-depth questions on Java serialization and generics (the previous interviewers asked me core Java questions, including questions on concurrency and multi-threading).

Interview Questions

• What are the two functions you need to implement in a class in order to make it usable efficiently in Java Collections?   1 Answer
    • How do you implement a singleton in Java? Make it thread-safe.   2 Answers
    • Lots of concurrency, multi-threading questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Very standard technical questions such as comparison between Java and C++. No white board code writing. No problem solving. Just dig into some previous experience.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

The interviewer was not a native speaker. He seemed more nervous that I did over the phone. The interview started with the introduction of myself - origin, school, projects done, strength. Then he asked what I would be after five years. I said I would become a project manager, interacting with business clients. I think my answer appeared that I prefer the business side to the software developer side, which might be why I was declined the offer. He then asked several technical questions, particular about Java: (1) what is the pros and cons of an array and a hashtable; (2) can a java class extend more than one class; (3) what is the difference between Running time exception and normal exception. The interview concluded with my asking some questions about him, such as what is the working environment there.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a Running time exception and a normal exception   2 Answers