Morgan Stanley

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley

Interview Details – On campus then super saturday. Final round with head of entire trading floor who grilled on finance questions, bond markets, the Fed etc.

Interview Question – Whats in my own portfolio and why!   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – Took the written exam on campus. Then they emailed back to set up an initial phone interviews with the interest rate group. Asked about the DJ index and some basic probability questions.

Interview Question – Why should we give you a second interview?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – Interview with one senior GILT trader and one cross-asset derivatives sales guy.

They were both nice. First asked about me in general. What was the most challenging job I ever had and why. Asked what I thought about the market, my thoughts on EURUSD, the Fed's put (QE). Why I wanted to be in trading vs sales vs research.

Interview Question – No tricky questions, it was first round interviews on the phone.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – First round interview over the phone, mostly some market and behavioral questions. superday was four interviews in the office, they asked a few math and probability problems to make sure you know your stuff, but otherwise not too stressful. The people were nice, and quick to recognize talents and where they can be used.

Interview Question – if x is in (0,1), how many times is cos(ln(x)) = 0?   View Answers (3)

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in August 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was pretty straightforward. First round interview was over the phone. I was asked basic questions about the firm, finance, and what I know about the infrastructure of MS. Second round interview was a bit more challenging. Met with three different people for 30 minutes. Each employee asked different kinds of questions. I also had to do a team activity to see how well I can work with other people.

Interview Question – How are the financial statements connected?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Advice I would give would be to weigh your options and see if you can leverage any offer you get before accepting.

Summer Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2013.

Interview Details – Take an exam in January. There are questions from various fields, probability, derivative, SDE, ODE, PDE, calculus, matrix, numerical analysis (one scheme problem) and Java or C++ (you can choose one of them). Not well prepared, cannot finish half the problems within an hour.

Interview Question – The problems do not require very advanced theories or too complicated calculations. However, I have to spend some time to recall these things which have not been used for long. Quite challenging because of the time limit.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2013.

Interview Details – Begins with phone interview, many other phone interviews may follow if the division is extremely competitive. Afterwards there is a super day in which you have up to 6 back to back interviews with multiple departments.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – Meet on campus for a Pre-night Meeting to get an idea of what to expect in the interview and ask any questions you wouldn't ask in an interview. Next day was a 30 minute interview with basic questions "tell me about a group project that went well/why and one that went poorly." Soon after that came a SuperDay invite which consisted for 2- 30 minute interviews and a group activity

Interview Question – Try and relate all work experience to job traits - even if previous experience is something unrelated like babysitter,lifeguard, etc.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley

Interview Details – On-Campus First Round -- 30 minute, Behavioral with a few market awareness questions, pretty easy, nothing surprising
Supper Day in New York -- 4 30 minute interviews and group activity, mostly behavioral with some technical and division or department related questions, everyone was very friendly, enjoyable process

Interview Question – What is the value of our assets?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was mostly about personal connection with the interviewer.

Interview Question – what do you look for in a business?   Answer Question