Morgan Stanley

Average Difficulty
101 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2009.

Interview Details – Final round consisted of three interviews with 2 MDs and 1 ED. Mostly fit questions but some were technical. Interviewers were very professional, friendly and helpful.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2011.

Interview Details – The company was very professional and friendly with their initial communications. They were adaptive to my schedule and paid attention to any questions I asked. The people I met were very friendly and helpful, and the interviews were not too antagonistic. Some of the questions asked during the interview were kind of difficult, but nothing outside of the scope of knowledge for any individual expecting to interview for sales & trading. Depending on who you got for the interview, some people tried to intimidate you, while others asked technical questions like where the VIX is currently at or give a percentage (increase/decrease) for where the market is heading in 6 months.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2011.

Interview Details – First round was an on campus interview followed by a Final Round in New York. First round was just a 30 minute interview mostly based on fit. The final round consisted of 4 + 1 interviews also mostly based on fit with a few technical and market trend questions thrown in.

Interview Question – Tell me a good investment tip and why   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2010.

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview. questions like what's your first language is, and how do you compare this language to other languages, all basic. Then asked something on the resume. and what kind of job do I want to do in the future. One week later an on-site interview came. It was from 11 am to 3pm. First is a small information session that all candidates were there to listen. Then a group exercise that needs everyone to speak during the final presentation. The question is about to design the logo and a slogan for MS. Then there were two 1-1 or 1-2 interviews. The second group who interviewed with, one of them, his cell phone kept vibrating on the desk and he actually looked at it but didn't pick up the phone 3 times during the interview. Although they apologized to me that it was their boss and might have some emergency issues, the interview process still got interrupted, and I could not be focused either. Maybe I should just ask him to handle his business and then come back to talk to me later.

Interview Question – Explain the OO concept. If there is 9 animals, all of them are with 4 legs but only 1 animal, say snake, has no legs, how do you design an OO program to match this situation?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2011.

Interview Details – Talked to an enormous number of people. It began with the recruiting lady and emailing back and forth. Then setting up a phone interview took a number of trials. Finally I interviewed which was fairly easy. Not too many technical questions.

Interview Question – what is your biggest weakness   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2011.

Interview Details – The two men who interviewed me were as unfriendly as possible. They ran through a series of easy behavioral questions. They seemed completely unhappy to be interviewing on my campus and completely uninterested in me as a candidate. Then they started with the technical questions. Almost every firm I applied to asked the same questions. These two men told me to get out a pen and paper and write a series of variables and percentages down. Then they asked me to walk them through the financial statements for year 0 and year 1. It should have been an easy question but I had never seen a problem similar to the one they had given me. I had no idea how to answer the problem. They simply glared at me with a blank stare.

Interview Question – Walk me through the financial statements for year 0 and year 1 for the following problem....then listed some PPE purchased with half debt and half equity   Answer Question

New York, NY

Interview Details – Superday in institutional equities. 1 2:1 interview, and 2 1:1 interviews. They were very friendly and didn't ask anything too technical. Very straightforward, strengths, weaknesses, tell me about yourself. Had to pitch a stock, say where I though interest rates would be in 6 months, and talk about the economy as a whole

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2008.

Interview Details – After applying through my campus career center, I was pre-selected to interview at Morgan Stanley based on my qualifications. Consisted of a pre-interview networking session the night before, an on-campus interview with one MS representative. About 4 weeks later, I got called back for a second interview in which I was flown to NYC, stayed in a hotel one night and interviewed all of the next day at Morgan Stanley's office. One interview was traditional "behavioral" questions (tell me about a challenge you faced, give an example of how you're a leader, etc) and the other was more "technical" questions (how have you changed a process in your work, give me examples of Excel projects you've done). Some questions were a bit more financial markets-related (which way do you think the markets are going, what makes MS stand out amongst its competitors, etc), so read up in the Wall Street Journal a week or two before your interview. Next was a group task with four other students who were also interviewing. We were watched by about six people - HR and senior management interviewers. The purpose was to see how our group interaction took place and called for some quick problem-solving as well. After a Q&A session with some analysts and a senior management speaker, we were done. I heard back within a couple days about the offer to come back as a Summer Analyst.

Interview Questions

• Do you have an understanding of the roles and function within Controllers?
    Describe a situation in which you were responsible for changing a process. What was your approach? What was the End Result?
      Answer Question
  • Who have you met from our Firm? What did you learn from him/her?   Answer Question
  • Describe the ideal position for you within our Firm.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate as the salary, bonus, and benefits package was quite comparable to other firms (a bit higher than some others). I have heard that offer packages are quite standardized at the entry levels, so there is not much room for negotiation. If you don't want to take the competitive package they're offering you, there is a line of qualified people on the back-up list who would be glad to take it.

Summer Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview took about an hour, however it took weeks for the recruiting staff to get their act together. The questions were pretty cookie-cutter, as in "Describe your biggest obstacle" and "Tell me about yourself." It was all pretty awkward because the woman on the line had no idea how to engage in normal conversation. Hope it goes better for other people.

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – 5 general questions like what do you know about us. 5 mins went through you resume, 10 mins OOP questions. 20min a simple coding question

Interview Question – The question is quite easy. Combining two strings   Answer Question