Morgan Stanley Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.2

106 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2012.

Applied through employee referral for Summer Analyst in Sales and Trading. Had first interview over the phone - lasted about 30 minutes. Asked me why I was interested in Sales and Trading / what qualities do I think a person in sales should have & in what ways have I proven to have such qualities.
Then had super day - consisted of 4 one-on-one interviews, all friendly people who were engaging and interesting to talk to. Very positive experience.

Interview Questions
  • If you had to choose one specific job to have in finance, what would it be and why?   Answer Question
  • What do you do to keep up with the financial world?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2012.

The interview was simple and straight forward. It was a couple minutes of introductions by the interviewers then about 10 minutes of fit questions followed by 5 minutes of technical then about 5-10 minutes for questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in May 2011.

The interview was a long process. First it starts with a selection from the university career fair. On campus interview which I was really prepared for but unfortunately didn't have a chance to go to the next step.
    It was very competitive because there is only one or two spots for a bunch of people.

Interview Questions
    • Could you describe a situation where you have shown a leadership to solve a problem within a team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in July 2009.

Final round consisted of three interviews with 2 MDs and 1 ED. Mostly fit questions but some were technical. Interviewers were very professional, friendly and helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2011.

The company was very professional and friendly with their initial communications. They were adaptive to my schedule and paid attention to any questions I asked. The people I met were very friendly and helpful, and the interviews were not too antagonistic. Some of the questions asked during the interview were kind of difficult, but nothing outside of the scope of knowledge for any individual expecting to interview for sales & trading. Depending on who you got for the interview, some people tried to intimidate you, while others asked technical questions like where the VIX is currently at or give a percentage (increase/decrease) for where the market is heading in 6 months.

Interview Questions
    • Where is the VIX at right now?   View Answer
    • Give us your thoughts about where the market is headed. Give a specific increase/decrease   Answer Question
    • Tell me about 2 classes you liked in college and how they can help you here   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent book you read   Answer Question
    • Walk me through a Cash Flows statement   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2011.

First round was an on campus interview followed by a Final Round in New York. First round was just a 30 minute interview mostly based on fit. The final round consisted of 4 + 1 interviews also mostly based on fit with a few technical and market trend questions thrown in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in March 2010.

First there was a phone interview. questions like what's your first language is, and how do you compare this language to other languages, all basic. Then asked something on the resume. and what kind of job do I want to do in the future. One week later an on-site interview came. It was from 11 am to 3pm. First is a small information session that all candidates were there to listen. Then a group exercise that needs everyone to speak during the final presentation. The question is about to design the logo and a slogan for MS. Then there were two 1-1 or 1-2 interviews. The second group who interviewed with, one of them, his cell phone kept vibrating on the desk and he actually looked at it but didn't pick up the phone 3 times during the interview. Although they apologized to me that it was their boss and might have some emergency issues, the interview process still got interrupted, and I could not be focused either. Maybe I should just ask him to handle his business and then come back to talk to me later.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the OO concept. If there is 9 animals, all of them are with 4 legs but only 1 animal, say snake, has no legs, how do you design an OO program to match this situation?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2011.

The two men who interviewed me were as unfriendly as possible. They ran through a series of easy behavioral questions. They seemed completely unhappy to be interviewing on my campus and completely uninterested in me as a candidate. Then they started with the technical questions. Almost every firm I applied to asked the same questions. These two men told me to get out a pen and paper and write a series of variables and percentages down. Then they asked me to walk them through the financial statements for year 0 and year 1. It should have been an easy question but I had never seen a problem similar to the one they had given me. I had no idea how to answer the problem. They simply glared at me with a blank stare.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through the financial statements for year 0 and year 1 for the following problem....then listed some PPE purchased with half debt and half equity   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2011.

Talked to an enormous number of people. It began with the recruiting lady and emailing back and forth. Then setting up a phone interview took a number of trials. Finally I interviewed which was fairly easy. Not too many technical questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Superday in institutional equities. 1 2:1 interview, and 2 1:1 interviews. They were very friendly and didn't ask anything too technical. Very straightforward, strengths, weaknesses, tell me about yourself. Had to pitch a stock, say where I though interest rates would be in 6 months, and talk about the economy as a whole