Morgan Stanley

Updated Dec 4, 2014

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technology Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Applied through the on campus interviews. For the first interview, the questions were about algorithm/data structures. The second and final round consisted of a 4 * 30 minutes interviews with four different interviewers, plus one group activity. The questions spanned a bit of every thing, algorithm, data structures, databases, OS (UNIX, process scheduling, threads...), programming languages (java, c++, garbage collector...), and some problem solving questions.

Other Interview Reviews for Morgan Stanley

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2012.

I received an invite for first round of interview on Campus. The interviewer was pretty chilled out and did a lot of small talk with me. It was totally situational and behavioral. I was asked questions like:
    1) Have you ever worked in a team? how was the experience?
    2) Have you ever had a difficult team member? how did you deal with the situation?
    3) what are the languages you are comfortable in and how good would you rate yourself on them?
    and a couple of more questions. Lasted half hour.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked in a team?
      Tell me about your experience

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2010.

got the 1st round interview from university career center, and passed to the 2nd round interview.

the 1st one is very technical, with no behaviour questions.

the 2nd one, which is on site, is coming first with a group panel interview playing with lego, and 4 1:1 interviews, very technical.

Summer Analyst (Technology) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2014.

Online CV form, followed by a numerical reasoning test. Then a phone interview, mine was with a vice president of technology. Contained general IT questions (how does an OS work? what does a HDD do? etc).

Invited to an assessment centre about a week later. 6 people there, 1 going for the year placement the rest for the summer programme. A group project about implementing a new system first. Followed by two technical interviews, one is sat in on by a managing director. Seems that one is on networks etc and one is on advanced programming.

Interpersonal interview after that was fairly standard, when have you had deadlines etc. When have you worked with other cultures.

About a week after this I got my offer.

Interview Questions
    • Something about threading in Java (or your best language), a system to store desktop statistics on a server from 40,000 desktops.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2014.

Campus interview, then assessment centre. Very technical. Only 1 interpersonal(relatively easy) and a group exercise(easy as well). The technical interviews consist in questions regarding your experience and the interviewers will aim towards fairly complex areas. Garbage collection in Java, memory management differences between Java and C, 1 OOP Design question(Design a lift system, a car park, a library). They will probably give you a function and ask you for the output in different conditions. They will be very happy if you write code, but don't be too eager about it because mistakes are very easy to make( that's where I failed )

Interview Questions
    • If you have a tree of objects where references are edges, write a garbage collection mechanism. Extend that to multithread when possible.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in January 2014.

I have applied online and received response 2-3 months later inviting me for the telephone interview. Telephone interview lasted around 30 minutes and was purely technical. Interviewer was friendly asking about algorithms, data structures, OOP and classic Java questions.

Few days later, I have received response asking me to attend assessment center. During assessment day:
    1 group exercise (40 min.) - you have to discuss case study while people in the room observing your behavior
    2 technical interviews (2 x 40 min.) - not difficult but not easy either. Classic programming problems (structures, algorithms, patterns, java vm and more)
    1 interpersonal interview (40 min.) - give me an example when... (you fill out)

Everything during AC was punctual and very well prepared. You have small breaks in between interviews. There is always food and refreshments which you can grab during the day.

Didn't get offer so no specific advice at this point as I don't know what went wrong. You have to ask for detailed feedback otherwise you will receive only automatic email saying generic stuff (we wish you good luck with future endeavors...).

Summer Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in November 2012.

I've received an invitation to a telephone interview after about 2-3 weeks. The telephone interview was delayed for about two weeks because of unknown reasons. I had to contact HR multiple times to finally get it done.

The interviewer was kind, calm and inspiring. He asked me about my motivation and technical skills. The interview went very well.

The response to the telephone interview was again significantly delayed. It took about one week to respond because the interviewer went on holiday before giving the outcome. I was rejected and requested feedback but they said that they could not provide me with it. It's very unprofessional of them not to, as I was really expecting a good outcome.

Summer Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morgan Stanley in October 2012.

I applied online and was invited for a first round phone interview by the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Why does windows lag sometimes when you switch from one window to another ?   View Answer