Morgan Stanley

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in August 2010.

Interview Details – Met with hiring manager, no issues, asked the general questions. Was very friendly and kind.

Interview Question – What are my weaknesses   Answer Question

Vice President

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – This was an internal move, but was for a promotion so it was easy to scout and learn about the hiring managers and the challenges facing the role. I met with two Director level managers who covered different products. The questions were fairly straight forward as were my answers and it was much more of a "feel-out" process as to make sure there would be a strong work dynamic. I was advised I would hear within two weeks and received an offer in the timeline established.

Interview Question – Barring no additional resources (i.e. money, staff etc), how would you improve the current service rates of the team? Basically, how do you motivate someone to work harder with no carrot in front of them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there was no room to negotiate as this was internal

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in February 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was similar to any bank in the Industry. I joined as an experienced professional and not straight out of school. The interview process is scheduled by HR. I met 6 different people that lasted about 5 hours.

Interview Question – There were no exceptionally difficult or unexpected questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was fortunate that they gave me more than I asked for and did not have to negotiate.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – First round with senior research associate (person under the analyst on the research report), second round with senior research analyst (person at the top of the research report) and third / final round with equity sales professionals. Questions were usual "walk me through your resume" as well as "pitch me a stock" and also "how do you think about evaluating the quality of a company vs. the quality of a stock".

Interview Question – Wouldn't you simply work here for a while and then jump to the buy side?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – Many rounds of Interview and the whole process could take months.

Interview Question – How would you rate your performance in your previous company.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in December 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview plus 12+ interviews, 3-4 per day.
People are clearly smart. Some interesting interview questions. Mostly standard fair.

Interview Question – Exact mechanism of current c++ exception handling as compared to previous implementations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations done through recruiter, easy that way.
Guaranteed Bonus is a must, but hard to get now.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in August 2009.

Interview Details – I have been through 3 very good rounds and normally they have fixed up the next round within a few days of the first. After the last round, I have not heard anything for over a week now. Is this normal? Do they not tell the people if the person is not selected? Any feedback appreciated.

Interview Questions

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley.

Interview Details – My position requires a few years of working experience. The hiring process took a few months, from team leaders, other team heads and department heads. A written test was also needed, summarizing some reports and providing views on specific topics. The interview questions cover broad-based areas, not only the area that you are good at, so it is better to sharpen knowledge in your area and also extend to the relevant knowledge in other sectors.

Interview Question – To list research topics of interest without data support, but suggest ways to evaluate them.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Morgan Stanley in May 2012.

Interview Details – One telephonic and followed by 5 face to face interviews

Interview Question – Challenges   Answer Question

Interviewed at Morgan Stanley

Interview Details – Hiring conducted by expats who were interviewing in Hungary. They were looking primarily for strong English language skills and were clueless to the caliber of people they were hiring. Thus, people with multiple masters degrees in subjects like finance, economics and higher mathematics were hired to do data entry jobs in Operations.

Interview Question – Have you ever done anything unethical?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Morgan Stanley

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morgan Stanley Vice President interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Morgan Stanley employees and interview candidates.