Morningstar

Updated Nov 15, 2014
Updated Nov 15, 2014

78 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in October 2014.

I applied through the website with a cover letter and resume. About a week later I had a Skype interview with someone in HR. About a week after that, I was flown to Chicago to attend a Superday.

Superday consisted of a group presentation and three interviews with people throughout the company. Group presentation was easy, I think they were not looking for how you answered the question, but more how you presented it and how good you are at public speaking. Groups of about 3 or 4.

Interviews were mostly behavioral, although I heard some people who had some technical questions. I found the interviews fairly easy, they were more like a conversation rather than an interview.

Interview Questions

Better offer somewhere else.

Senior Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Two rounds of interviews; first round was conducted via phone, second was in-person technical interview. Was contacted after having some communication with a colleague from another business unit a few months earlier. That opportunity wasn't the best fit, but was referred to MIM unit for Sr. Consultant position opportunity due to internal turnover and transitioning. Initial call was fairly detailed in terms of questions asked; everything from why I chose my major in college to why I joined the Economics Club in High School to what my day-to-day responsibilities are in my current role, etc...They definitely wanted to confirm that had a genuine interest in investing, that's for damn sure.

Was contacted a week or so after first interview via email. HR noted that my initial conversation was well received and that I was being invited to come in to meet w/ 3 senior level colleagues within MIM. Interview was immediately scheduled for the following week.

The in-person interview was definitely not what I was expecting, but in the best way possible. It was very informal (everyone was in casual dress) and was more of a round-table discussion on investments (they inquired about my personal portfolio and why I chose certain investments, etc) and portfolio management. Considering the fact that this is what I do for a living, I felt extremely confident talking candidly about current market conditions, specific investment managers and their inherent philosophies/strategies, as well as my own personal investment beliefs. The entire interview lasted about 2.5 hours or so and ended with the CIO taking me on a tour of the building and noting how their culture "will be totally different than what [I] am currently used to".

Upon the culmination of the tour, he had noted that I'd hear from them within the next few days, but to definitely reach out to any of the interviewers or HR should I have any lingering questions. I thanked him and left feeling pretty confident in my performance.

The next day, I sent a thank you email to all interviewers (even copied HR) noting the specific reasons why I would succeed in the opportunity at hand (10 yrs exp, AA work, mgr research exp, etc). A week went by...no answer. So, I decided to give it a few more days, and sent a follow up email to just the hiring manager and HR person. No response. A few more weeks go by and STILL no word from anyone on their search process. Meanwhile, I see the dreaded reposting of the job opening on all major job search engines. Finally, I get an email the other day noting that I will not be considered for the opening due to their "particular needs of the position".

So, after almost 4 weeks of hanging in the wind, I was finally put out to pasture by means of a pretty vague response. All in all, I'm not quite sure if I was overqualified for the position or if they wanted someone who they could mould into their own. I would have to say that the process was pretty off-putting, especially considering the lack of communication post-2nd interview.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to describe how I would construct various types of portfolios from the ground up. I was given 3 different client types (I believe they were corp, end/fdn, & public fund) and basically was told to give a generalized answer (which, if you work in consulting or portfolio management, you know is kind of an open-ended question that can go a million different ways). Wasn't a tough questions by any means, but I had to let them know that I could be there until the next day describing all of the intricacies inherent to each client type.   View Answer

Equity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Morningstar.

3 rounds. Two interviewers in the first round, 5 or 6 in the second round, 2 third round (phone)

Questions on investment philsophy, stock pitch, why Chicago, why this role, why Morningstar, the last book I read

Interview Questions
    • Last book I read: it was unexpected but a welcome question as it suggests the firm values fit.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was terrible due to a member of HR who has subsequently been 'reassigned' to another role.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

first. submit resume online and add reference. second, get phone interview from hr. then, get phone interview from tech lead. and then onsite interview with the team - team leads, manager, and team members. no onsite brain teasing questions. reasonable tech and standard questions. third, get on site interview with director and above management persons. last, get the job offer - need to provide financial info, reference names, and other documents, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in April 2014.

Initial phone interview about 20 mins

Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

20 minutes phone interview. Basic behavior questions. 1. why morningstar 2. why we should hire you 3. tell me something not on your resume

one week later, I got on-site interview. I interviewed with 7 managers. The whole interview took 2 hrs. They asked a lot about why do you want to work in finance field. How do you handle conflicts with customers? what do you like about your previous internship and what do you dislike about the internship. Have you done any project about financial planning? What is the big difference between good leader and bad leader?

Storage and Backup Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morningstar.

I suggest to read through this review even though it is long if you are going to apply.

I applied to morningstar online when they had an opening for a storage engineer position. I am a highly qualified and certified storage professional. I received an email from an Hr intern for scheduling an initial phone screening with the hiring manager. I took the phone interview and it went very well. The following day I was contacted by the main recruiter (previously i was contacted by her interns) and she mentioned that they want to move forward and they are impressed with my interview and would are currently at offer stage. She said they are waiting on just one approval which will be approved by next day noon. I was a little surprised as decided to hire me with just one interview but was convinced that my skillset was rare and the one interview went very well. But to be fair she mentioned that this is still a tentative verbal offer but not a consolidated offer but 99% it should be approved by the one remaining manager.

Next day I was contacted by the senior HR person again and this time she said sorry manager liked me but he still want to see what's out there. I was appalled and sent a letter explaining why I would think that I am a perfect fit for this role.

After a few days I was contacted back from the HR saying they would like to have another phone interview with a director in london. I took the interview and did very very well. Next day I got a call from the intern who scheduled my initial interview and she said they are still looking for other candidates and she have not heard anything back on my first interview and probably they would like to move on. Then I mentioned to her that I had been in contact with the main HR person and have taken interview from the director and she apologized for not being up to date with my application coz she is part time and had not had chance to synq with main HR. I accepted her apology and she said she will get in touch with me regarding my next step in the process.

I was contacted by the main HR person again to schedule a skype interview with 8 members of their team and I took a half day off my work and took the skype interview and again did very well. I was told that interview went very very well and they are waiting on a director level approval and I should know if its a yay or nay in a day or two. then the next day main HR person called me and told that they wanted to go ahead and present me an offer but they did not have budget for me. I was dumb stuck. I could not comprehend why would any one would set up a requirement without budget approval. She finally told me that she won't know when the budget would be approved and asked me to pursue other opportunities and she would contact me back when they approve budget. After all this I was completely exhausted by the methods and wrote a letter to their IT director, Hiring manager and HR person stating my impression on their hiring policies and how that will drive away talent from them and mentioned to accept my withdrawal from the application.

Two days later the HR person called me in set up a meeting with hiring manager and surprisingly they made me an offer. They did not mention a thing about the letter I wrote to them earlier. My mistake was to accept the offer letter (I was very very uninterested but in this economy i decided to let go off previous reservations I had with this company) and they put me through their background verification process. After two weeks the HR person called me back and told that they want to revoke the offer because they feel this is in best interest of the both company and employee. I could not be more glad that they revoked as i found their true colors of organization before I moved from texas to Chicago.

I know this is quite a long post but this an experience I have never had with any other much much larger organizations and felt like people who are planning to apply or even been offered position or as a matter of fact even employed should know. They are highly unstable in their decisions and it reflected in all through their hiring process.

I did not negotiate as they came up with okayish offer

Equity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Applied via employee referral. Received an initial phone interview from HR. Questions were standard phone interview questions, overview of professional experience, why Morningstar, why Equity Analyst, etc. At the end of the conversation, was asked to schedule for in-person interview, which was conducted the following week. The in-person interview focused heavily on industry trend, companies and etc and wasn't at all about my professional experience.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Very straight-forward, they were very flexible when arranging the interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morningstar.

The process begins with a resume drop and review period, and if you move forward from there you're called back for a first-round interview. The first round consists almost entirely of behavioral questions, from "walk me through your resume" to "strengths and weaknesses" questions. If you move past the first round, you are invited to the Chicago headquarters for the final round. The final round consists of a 10 minute group presentation, along with three 30-minute one-on-one interviews. The personal interviews are very casual and deal mostly with behavioral questions, unless you happen to describe a particular experience on your resume that parallels a specific function at Morningstar, in which case they may ask more technically-related follow-up questions.

Interview Questions
    • Provide an instance in which you've failed or have performed below expectations? How did you handle such an instance?   Answer Question