Morningstar Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Mar 19, 2015

Technology Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Three Interviews and a tour of the campus, Beware that they like to low ball your salary and play it off that what they offer you is market. The only thing great about working here is the location and casual dress code.

Interview Questions

• Basic interrogation on what you did in the past companies. Many questions that they ask are behavior types and like to drill down to a very specific answer. They tend to showcase they work area and praise the work-life balance they have. People stay there in the company for a long time but seem to change their role very often.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, 2.5 hour in person interview. I did a lot of research, but the people who interviewed me were very nice and very capable of answering all my questions. The in person was three rounds, first one with two people (one on the phone), second one with just one, and the last one with two people.

Interview Questions

• How will your past experiences in school help you in this position? Can you give me an example?   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online roughly 3 weeks ago, very interested in the company and know a lot of very bright people who work for the organization. I received a phone call from the recruiting team and to be honest, felt it borderlined a confrontational conversation. Nonetheless, scheduled two phone interviews that I thought went well. I then received a rejection letter from the recruiting manager, only to have her call me a few days later to tell me that was a mistake. We scheduled an in person interview- 4 people on the schedule. I took a half day off of work (I work for a prop shop so it was a pain), only to arrive and interview for 15 minutes with the recruiting manager to be dismissed. She was scattered, and it was "you're too senior for this role". I was taken aback and frankly very disappointed that Morningstar would waste my time. Poor foot forward, poor brand representation. I think even if I wasn't a good fit for the job, that the their should be respect for those that go out of their way to interview with the team. This is clearly not the directive of the recruiting organization, particularly this crass manager that clearly lacks polish or experience.

Interview Questions

• Over the phone they asked me some basic object and class questions, recursion questions, fundamentals of object oriented development. In person the only questions was, why are you here? Didn't get to meet the rest of the team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, both entirely behavioral.
    The interview questions were very standard and unimaginative:
    - Tell us about a time you worked in a team
    - When was a time you failed, and what did you do about it?
    - Do you prefer to work in teams or alone?

The final round is arranged as a super day with around 20-30 applicants. You each have three one on one behavioral interviews and then given a group presentation on an assigned topic relating to Morningstar products.

Interview Questions

• The stock market has been particularly volatile this week--why do you think that is?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A it's a standard entry level package, no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First interview was on campus with a recruiter, strictly behavioral. About three weeks later, I was invited to the Morningstar office in Chicago for final rounds. Super day consisted of a group case presentation in the morning and one-on-one interviews with managers in the afternoon. The managers were all friendly and highly intelligent. Mostly behavioral questions, such as "what business would you start with 10000 dollars?" One of the interviews was a business strategy discussion as well.

Interview Questions

• How does Netflix retain its competitive advantage and what are its next steps? (This only came up after being asked to discuss a product I use frequently)   Answer Question

I had another offer more in line with what I wanted to do.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through the website with a cover letter and resume. About a week later I had a Skype interview with someone in HR. About a week after that, I was flown to Chicago to attend a Superday.

Superday consisted of a group presentation and three interviews with people throughout the company. Group presentation was easy, I think they were not looking for how you answered the question, but more how you presented it and how good you are at public speaking. Groups of about 3 or 4.

Interviews were mostly behavioral, although I heard some people who had some technical questions. I found the interviews fairly easy, they were more like a conversation rather than an interview.

Interview Questions

Better offer somewhere else.

Senior Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews; first round was conducted via phone, second was in-person technical interview. Was contacted after having some communication with a colleague from another business unit a few months earlier. That opportunity wasn't the best fit, but was referred to MIM unit for Sr. Consultant position opportunity due to internal turnover and transitioning. Initial call was fairly detailed in terms of questions asked; everything from why I chose my major in college to why I joined the Economics Club in High School to what my day-to-day responsibilities are in my current role, etc...They definitely wanted to confirm that had a genuine interest in investing, that's for damn sure.

Was contacted a week or so after first interview via email. HR noted that my initial conversation was well received and that I was being invited to come in to meet w/ 3 senior level colleagues within MIM. Interview was immediately scheduled for the following week.

The in-person interview was definitely not what I was expecting, but in the best way possible. It was very informal (everyone was in casual dress) and was more of a round-table discussion on investments (they inquired about my personal portfolio and why I chose certain investments, etc) and portfolio management. Considering the fact that this is what I do for a living, I felt extremely confident talking candidly about current market conditions, specific investment managers and their inherent philosophies/strategies, as well as my own personal investment beliefs. The entire interview lasted about 2.5 hours or so and ended with the CIO taking me on a tour of the building and noting how their culture "will be totally different than what [I] am currently used to".

Upon the culmination of the tour, he had noted that I'd hear from them within the next few days, but to definitely reach out to any of the interviewers or HR should I have any lingering questions. I thanked him and left feeling pretty confident in my performance.

The next day, I sent a thank you email to all interviewers (even copied HR) noting the specific reasons why I would succeed in the opportunity at hand (10 yrs exp, AA work, mgr research exp, etc). A week went by...no answer. So, I decided to give it a few more days, and sent a follow up email to just the hiring manager and HR person. No response. A few more weeks go by and STILL no word from anyone on their search process. Meanwhile, I see the dreaded reposting of the job opening on all major job search engines. Finally, I get an email the other day noting that I will not be considered for the opening due to their "particular needs of the position".

So, after almost 4 weeks of hanging in the wind, I was finally put out to pasture by means of a pretty vague response. All in all, I'm not quite sure if I was overqualified for the position or if they wanted someone who they could mould into their own. I would have to say that the process was pretty off-putting, especially considering the lack of communication post-2nd interview.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to describe how I would construct various types of portfolios from the ground up. I was given 3 different client types (I believe they were corp, end/fdn, & public fund) and basically was told to give a generalized answer (which, if you work in consulting or portfolio management, you know is kind of an open-ended question that can go a million different ways). Wasn't a tough questions by any means, but I had to let them know that I could be there until the next day describing all of the intricacies inherent to each client type.   1 Answer

Equity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

3 rounds. Two interviewers in the first round, 5 or 6 in the second round, 2 third round (phone)

Questions on investment philsophy, stock pitch, why Chicago, why this role, why Morningstar, the last book I read

Interview Questions

• Last book I read: it was unexpected but a welcome question as it suggests the firm values fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was terrible due to a member of HR who has subsequently been 'reassigned' to another role.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

first. submit resume online and add reference. second, get phone interview from hr. then, get phone interview from tech lead. and then onsite interview with the team - team leads, manager, and team members. no onsite brain teasing questions. reasonable tech and standard questions. third, get on site interview with director and above management persons. last, get the job offer - need to provide financial info, reference names, and other documents, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

Initial phone interview about 20 mins