Morningstar Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Aug 17, 2015

2.9

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview followed by skype interview. Few technical regading the technologies you have worked upon with some behavioral rounds. First Phone interview was quite easy as discussion about what you projects mentioned in resume and how you did it. Be prepared for some java concepts if you have mentioned in resume. Database question (basic queries and join operations ) Behavioral questions were quite easy. Easy interview over all!

Interview Questions

• difference between final,finally and finalize. Hashmap concepts. Webservices testing   Answer Question

Client Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

During the interview process, I had three rounds of interviews, meeting with three people each time. The process was managed well by the HR staff and team, but the multiple interviews were hard to schedule, so it was a bit cumbersome. The upside was meeting with employees in varying roles that all interacted with the role I was interviewing for. It was good to see the breadth (and the faces!) of the people I would eventually be working with.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when I had to deliver or communicate a negative situation to a client.   Answer Question

Software Development In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

1.Phone Interview: A QA manager contacts me. Just ask about some behavior questions, your work experience and what tools used for 20 minutes. 2.On-Site Interview: There are four rounds. First round, a design manager just asked some behavior question like “What conflict did you have during your work?”, “Why do you choose Morning Star?”; Second round, a software engineer asked some java basic knowledge like “what is different between abstract class and interface?”; Third round facing to a QA team, I show the framework of my worked project. Python questions like “what is range()?”, java questions like “how to sort an object?”, “Tell me collection in java?”; Forth round, a software master asked me some java questions like “what are the difference among final, finally, finalize”, “Asked me some questions on Thread in java”. 3. I was in on-site interview on Thursday, and then I received a call with offer from them on Next monday.

Interview Questions

• 1.What conflict did you have during your work? 2.Why do you choose Morning Star? 3.what is different between abstract class and interface? 4.how to sort an object? 5.java thread 6.final, finally, finalize differences?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR to set up a 30 minute phone interview a day or two after submitting my application. The phone interview consisted mostly of questions pertaining to past experiences and why I wanted to work at Morningstar. Exactly a week later I was asked to come in for an interview. On the day of the interview (only four days after I was asked to come in), there were maybe 20 other interviewees there. We all met with four people in one-on-one interviews that lasted a half an hour each. Everybody I spoke with was extremely friendly, laid-back, and intelligent. I came very well prepared, felt that everything went as well as it possibly could have, received positive feedback from everybody I interviewed with and was confident an offer would be extended to me. I was surprised when I received an email about a week and a half later saying I had not been chosen.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a conflict at work and how did you resolve it? What is a great challenge you have overcome? What can you tell me about yourself that isn't on your resume? What would you do with a six week sabbatical?   Answer Question

Technology Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Three Interviews and a tour of the campus, Beware that they like to low ball your salary and play it off that what they offer you is market. The only thing great about working here is the location and casual dress code.

Interview Questions

• Basic interrogation on what you did in the past companies. Many questions that they ask are behavior types and like to drill down to a very specific answer. They tend to showcase they work area and praise the work-life balance they have. People stay there in the company for a long time but seem to change their role very often.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, 2.5 hour in person interview. I did a lot of research, but the people who interviewed me were very nice and very capable of answering all my questions. The in person was three rounds, first one with two people (one on the phone), second one with just one, and the last one with two people.

Interview Questions

• How will your past experiences in school help you in this position? Can you give me an example?   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online roughly 3 weeks ago, very interested in the company and know a lot of very bright people who work for the organization. I received a phone call from the recruiting team and to be honest, felt it borderlined a confrontational conversation. Nonetheless, scheduled two phone interviews that I thought went well. I then received a rejection letter from the recruiting manager, only to have her call me a few days later to tell me that was a mistake. We scheduled an in person interview- 4 people on the schedule. I took a half day off of work (I work for a prop shop so it was a pain), only to arrive and interview for 15 minutes with the recruiting manager to be dismissed. She was scattered, and it was "you're too senior for this role". I was taken aback and frankly very disappointed that Morningstar would waste my time. Poor foot forward, poor brand representation. I think even if I wasn't a good fit for the job, that the their should be respect for those that go out of their way to interview with the team. This is clearly not the directive of the recruiting organization, particularly this crass manager that clearly lacks polish or experience.

Interview Questions

• Over the phone they asked me some basic object and class questions, recursion questions, fundamentals of object oriented development. In person the only questions was, why are you here? Didn't get to meet the rest of the team.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

1 on 1 interview with someone, got hired. Wasn't very hard. Basic questions, no technical questions. Walk me through your resume, why this job, why are you a good fit, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, both entirely behavioral. The interview questions were very standard and unimaginative: - Tell us about a time you worked in a team - When was a time you failed, and what did you do about it? - Do you prefer to work in teams or alone? The final round is arranged as a super day with around 20-30 applicants. You each have three one on one behavioral interviews and then given a group presentation on an assigned topic relating to Morningstar products.

Interview Questions

• The stock market has been particularly volatile this week--why do you think that is?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A it's a standard entry level package, no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First interview was on campus with a recruiter, strictly behavioral. About three weeks later, I was invited to the Morningstar office in Chicago for final rounds. Super day consisted of a group case presentation in the morning and one-on-one interviews with managers in the afternoon. The managers were all friendly and highly intelligent. Mostly behavioral questions, such as "what business would you start with 10000 dollars?" One of the interviews was a business strategy discussion as well.

Interview Questions

• How does Netflix retain its competitive advantage and what are its next steps? (This only came up after being asked to discuss a product I use frequently)   Answer Question

I had another offer more in line with what I wanted to do.