Morningstar

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening, followed by an on-site interview with 3 people. The panel interview were really forced, I was interviewed by 3 people but two barely had any question to ask, and they looked like they didn't prepare at all. They look very unenthusiastic. One guy kept asking me what questions I have for them. Afterwards I had 30 minutes to take an exam about SQL, number patterns, and file differences. The lady told me the SQL part was going to be about basic SQL stuff, no it wasn't. It was a complicated 3 part join with a bunch of other constraints and tricks. Number patterns had 30 questions, so make sure you do them quickly. Overall the time constraint was too little for the amount of questions on the exam, and I felt it was unnecessarily hard.

Interview Question – Written exam consists of 3 parts: 1 SQL senario, 30 number pattern questions, and 1 about file differences. You have 30 minutes to complete.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in October 2011.

Interview Details – Straightforward interview process for the college recruiting program they run. Started with a video conference interview about half hour. After that the follow-up was an in-person series of interviews, consisting of four or five total--each about 30-45 minutes long. All the interviews were behavorial and consisted of the standard questions.

Interview Question – To be honest there wasn't anything particularly difficult or unexpected. One of the interviews had some more abstract situational questions, but that was because the interviewer wanted to work off a pre-set sheet of questions she had.   Answer Question

Data Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – First round is a phone interview, very nice, ask a lot of questions about your resume and your interest. Will ask you about salary and GPA, etc. Why Morningstar, Why Data,. Second round is a three two on one interview with team leader. Each of them is half an hour and will ask similar questions, basically is going through your resume and ask some behavior quesitons.

Interview Question – How do you motivate other around you?How do you motivate other around you?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – The questions range from specific finance questions and Morningstar proprietary data questions to typical behavior questions.

Interview Question – Please explain how you would use Morningstar data to begin evaluating an equity and a fund.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was quick, efficient, and very pleasant. Here are the steps I experienced and some advice on how to prepare:

1) Phone screen with HR - This round is very pleasant, incredibly understanding, and as professional as it gets! You'll likely get a fair number of behavioral questions to gauge your interest and how well you know the company does (research the website for this one) and why you want this particular position. I was informed that I would have an onsite interview right after the phone screen.

2) On-site interview within the next week or two - If you're a local candidate you won't get any transportation costs reimbursed. I had interviews with hiring managers and their bosses. Everyone is extremely nice and they are all very pleasant people to talk to. The office is really pretty awesome to walk into. My interviews did get shuffled around a little bit (one became a 2:1; this speaks to the casual and somewhat spontaneous nature of the firm) and the HR round was canceled. For entry level data analyst positions, it is very unlikely you will be tested on anything technical because the position to my knowledge does not require technical skills or prior investment knowledge; you'll get taught all of that on the job so it doesn't really matter. You are evaluated based almost exclusively on your enthusiasm, personality, interest, and knowledge of the company. I had questions that related to how to deal with conflict (with clients), how others perceive me, etc. If you show enthusiasm, maturity, and preparation, you will probably have a good experience. Be positive! =) Behavioral questions can be tough if you don't prepare some answers (before the interview, think of some examples of teamwork, hardships, and the like).

I received the offer a week and a half later as they do review other candidates, so expect some waiting time unless you're a superstar. For future reference: Unlike what other interviewers state, you can negotiate (within reason, and if you do so professionally). As a tip that is unrelated to this particular interview, using the Briefcase method by restating your qualifications and citing online resources (Glassdoor, research market rate for similar positions) tends to work better. Morningstar is known to pay below market, but this is a great company to work for, especially for people just starting out - while an entry level job can be mundane in of itself, you will probably learn a lot about investments and enjoy a wealth of knowledge from other very accomplished, intelligent people at the firm. People often say the pay is "significantly" lower, but I think the pay is not terrible when you consider what the job entails and bake in the perks. This might not matter depending on your situation, but do think carefully about what you value and what will contribute to your job satisfaction in the end.

Interview Question – What is a good manager like?   Answer Question

Data Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in November 2010.

Interview Details – Expect lots and lots of interview. Anywhere between 6-10 30 minute interviews. Although for the most part they are just feeling out your personality and not drilling you with tough questions.

Interview Question – Focus a lot on why you want to work there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – did not negoitate

Data Analyst

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Morningstar in January 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was with internal recruiter who was very nice. Lots of fit based questions that focused on my background, skills, projects, and personality. Wanted to know why data, why Morningstar.

Second round was two 2-on-1's at the Chicago office. Again, informal, atmosphere. Lots of questions about hypothetical situations, past experiences, things I'm looking for in a career, how I would tackle a problem, examples of such, etc.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe your main weakness?   Answer Question
  • What is something that would concern you about Morningstar?   Answer Question
  • Walk me through a problem/situation you had a work as part of a project and how you tackled it   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in November 2011.

Interview Details – First Round: Behavioral Interview with HR at campus.
Second Round: Fly in, stay at the Burnham hotel across the street with a dinner the night before. Several presentations and 1-1 interviews with employees from the CEO level to junior management. All questions are behavioral and not too difficult. They seem to be looking for fit and enthusiasm more and not any financial knowledge.

Interview Question – Why Morningstar? Why Data?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room to negotiate.

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – I was internally referred after being an intern. I had a phone interview, then a series of interviews on one day, including one with CEO Joe Mansueto.

Interview Question – "What have you been reading lately?" I learned later that this is a favorite of the CEO. The rest of the questions were pretty standard. I did get the question, "Are you more of a big picture thinker or an in-the-weeds thinker?" I treated the latter question like a false dichotomy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Morningstar in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interviewer only asked 2 to 3 questions and didnt look very interested in me at all. I didnt understand why would they choose me for this phone interview at first place.

Interview Questions

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!