Morningstar

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on the website and was contacted by a HR representative to setup an interview with two analysts and herself. Two weeks later, I was asked to complete a test on line including 4 questions. The test was timed and limited at 500 words per question and 2.5 hours. Head back from them three weeks later to learn that I was not going to the next and final round: I wanted to inform you that we will not be moving forward with your candidacy. We have based our decision on the particular needs of the position, as well as the substantial number of qualified candidates that Morningstar is reviewing. However, please continue to consider future opportunities with Morningstar, via our website, as they become available.

The questions:
1. Choose a company in your sector of expertise. Does it have an economic moat? How did you assess the equity valuation of the company? Do you think it looks like an attractive investment today? Support your case with relevant evidence and data about the company and its competitors.

2. The year is 2030. What are some of the key themes of the day? Feel free to take a little risk, and let your answer show off your creative side.

4. What was your biggest investment mistake? What did you learn from it?

Interview Question – 3. Compare and contrast ROA, ROE, and ROIC. Which one is most informative and why? Use an example to illustrate your position. Tricky since lots can be said on this matter.   View Answer

Equity Research Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in May 2013.

Interview Details – I got the phone interview after applying online on the company website for 2 weeks. I got one phone interview with HR first. It took only 15-20 minutes. Mostly, the questions are like the initial screening, qualification, and expectation. Then, I had the interview with the director, and senior colleagues (from Basic Material department). They mostly asked about my qualification based on the resume I sent. They also asked about my goal, why morning star?, why equity analyst? The interview took about 25 minutes.

Interview Question – What is your investment philosophy?
Do you have any question/concern regarding Morningstar Research Paper?
  Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Morningstar in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was called to do a phone interview from someone from HR. They actually then rescheduled the interview twice before someone called me.

It started out with normal questions about how I heard about the firm and walking through my background/resume. The person then asked about previous past compensation.

I answered all the questions and declined to answer questions about my previous compensation. She continued to press me and effectively became argumentative and critical. I said I was open and happy to consider different salary ranges versus my past. At one point she said that I was being inflexible, which is funny because they rescheduled the interview multiple times with me.

I was highly offended by this person, and the approach they were taking towards potential candidates. I figure they really don't want to pay people that well and this is the beginning of that process. I've read by other reviewers that compensation here is not very good.

Based on my experience, I would not want to work here at all. I was personally insulted by the style of this HR representative.

Interview Question – Please tell me your past compensation.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morningstar in July 2007.

Interview Details – The process was long. Initially I had to submit a writing sample with my resume. After the writing sample was approved to the next round, I was asked to complete an exam, which was basically an investment analysis on a company Morningstar made up.

At the first interview I met with HR and 2 current equity analysts. This interview was very basic. About a month after the first interview, I was called back to for a second interview and was asked to present a stock idea. At the second interview I met with about 7 or 8 people. This process was odd, people came and left at different times during the interview which I found to be very distracting. The interview process was non-stop for a duration of a few hours as a result of people comming in and out. In other words, you never had that opportunity to catch your breath.

Interview Question – It wasn't really a question, it was a case study. The case study presented a portion of a 10-K, and you were expected to analyse the company and provide a recommendation. You were given 1.5 hours to complete the assignment.   Answer Question

Equity Research Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Morningstar in May 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview, fairly standard, and asked for a lot of questions on personality/fit based. Came in the next day, 1 on 1 interview with manager, very laid back. HR lady came in next, asked standard HR questions extensively. Not seemed to be interested in whether I actually knew about stocks. I got an offer from somewhere else the next day, and respectfully let them know.

Interview Question – Time when you led a team   Answer Question

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!