Morningstar

Relevance Date Difficulty

Equity Analyst Interview

Equity Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied online and interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – 3 rounds. Two interviewers in the first round, 5 or 6 in the second round, 2 third round (phone)

Questions on investment philsophy, stock pitch, why Chicago, why this role, why Morningstar, the last book I read

Interview Question – Last book I read: it was unexpected but a welcome question as it suggests the firm values fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was terrible due to a member of HR who has subsequently been 'reassigned' to another role.

Developer Interview

Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – first. submit resume online and add reference. second, get phone interview from hr. then, get phone interview from tech lead. and then onsite interview with the team - team leads, manager, and team members. no onsite brain teasing questions. reasonable tech and standard questions. third, get on site interview with director and above management persons. last, get the job offer - need to provide financial info, reference names, and other documents, etc.

Morningstar Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – First round of interviews was a skype interview with HR, second round was the office visit which consisted of three interviews with managers, there was also a group project followed by presentations. They brought in a lot of people to interview, I interviewed with a group of 50 (half were MDP and the other half were the technical MDP). The job didn't sound too exciting, everyone starts out in either product support or as a data analyst for the first year. Then after a year you can apply internally to another position but it seemed competitive. The people of the program emphasize "vertical career path" but it just seemed like you would transition to another position with a different title but would still be doing the same thing. I don't really understand the type of person they're looking for, they say they want someone who is driven and don't care too much about a finance background but mostly everyone there has a financial related background. The environment is very relaxed and casual which is cool but you feel awkward and overdressed in a suit when interviewing. I didn't really like the environment there, I thought since it was a financial company they would be a little more high paced, exciting and professional. It's not a bad company I just didn't feel like I fit in there and it wasn't exactly the type of job I was looking for.
It's not a big deal if you don't get an offer, the program exaggerates how flexible it is but you can tell it's competitive internally to transition to another position. It seems like everyone is constantly trying to move around so there doesn't seem to be a lot of experience in one position...that could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Interview Question – They asked weird questions that were "creative", it seemed like they were looking for a specific type of answer..
-What would you invest in with $10,000?
-What do you know about mutual bonds?
-How would you invest in mutual bonds?
-What career path do you see yourself taking here?
  Answer Question

ETL Developer Interview

ETL Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in August 2013.

Interview Details – First was Technical screening via Telephone for 30 minutes. Second round was in person interview which lasted for almost 4.5 hours including lunch. I interviewed with 10 people including HR. Basically it is like 3 Directors , 1 senior architect, 2 people for Technical round , 3 PM and 1 HR. I got the offer the next day. Quick response. Interview process was also smooth.

Interview Question – None. All reasonable questions and made sense when applied to the day to day tasks   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I was happy with the offer they gave me.

Development Program Interview

Development Program
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in April 2014.

Interview Details – 20 minutes phone interview. Basic behavior questions. 1. why morningstar 2. why we should hire you 3. tell me something not on your resume

one week later, I got on-site interview. I interviewed with 7 managers. The whole interview took 2 hrs. They asked a lot about why do you want to work in finance field. How do you handle conflicts with customers? what do you like about your previous internship and what do you dislike about the internship. Have you done any project about financial planning? What is the big difference between good leader and bad leader?

Interview Question – No unexpected questions   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in March 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening, followed by an on-site interview with 3 people. The panel interview were really forced, I was interviewed by 3 people but two barely had any question to ask, and they looked like they didn't prepare at all. They look very unenthusiastic. One guy kept asking me what questions I have for them. Afterwards I had 30 minutes to take an exam about SQL, number patterns, and file differences. The lady told me the SQL part was going to be about basic SQL stuff, no it wasn't. It was a complicated 3 part join with a bunch of other constraints and tricks. Number patterns had 30 questions, so make sure you do them quickly. Overall the time constraint was too little for the amount of questions on the exam, and I felt it was unnecessarily hard.

Interview Question – Written exam consists of 3 parts: 1 SQL senario, 30 number pattern questions, and 1 about file differences. You have 30 minutes to complete.   Answer Question

Interview Details – Initial phone interview about 20 mins

Interview Question – Tell me something not on your resume   Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program

I applied online and interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening is a thirty minute behavioral phone interview to get to know you and why you're interested in the program

Interview Question – What your friends say is the biggest misconception about you   Answer Question

Database Administrator Interview

Database Administrator
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in May 2011.

Interview Details – There was an initial phone screening from HR, then a phone screening from the hiring manager, followerd by 2 days worth of interviews, lasting about 4 or 5 hours each day. I met with 2 people at a time for an hour. A senior C level executive normally is included for one of the hours, which is nice. You could easily find yourself across from Joe Mansueto himself, or the CTO / CFO.

Interview Question – Nothing memorable, overly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked for a copy of my W2's to prove I wasn't inflating my previous salary. Nothing says trust like insinuating you're a liar.

Software Development Internship Interview

Software Development Internship
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – I was asked some conceptual questions about JAVA. Such as the difference between abstract class and interface, type of modifier, and a question about garbage collection. The questions are pretty simple if you prepare for them. Also the coding part has no difficulties either. Coding is about sorting, recursion.

Interview Question – nothing difficult   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Morningstar

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Morningstar interview questions and advice. All 132 interview reviews posted anonymously by Morningstar employees and interview candidates.