Morningstar Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 21, 2014
135 interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in September 2013.

DO NOT JOIN the Morningstar Development Program. Their new practice of not revealing to a new "MDP" their job until a few weeks before the start date is deceptive and shady. Don't be lured by "all-but promises" that assure you you'll get the job you want. Direct quote, "I can't guarantee what your starting position will be, but with your qualifications, you seem like a shoe-in for X." They are just scamming you. Guaranteed, you will get the shittiest job in the company that no one else wants. There's a reason so many people leave in their first year.

Interview Questions
    • What would you invest in with $10,000?   View Answer

They wouldn't tell me my role in advance.

Cmbs Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Morningstar in August 2013.

I took a phone interview. HR asked talk about yourself at first,then go through some experience on your resume. for example: why you chose this school, why you study finance? Tell me a success example and one failure example in each section of my working experience.

Interview Questions
    • i think the most difficult part is about the success example and the failure example cuz i didn't prepared for it at all. my fault   Answer Question

Equity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online - interviewed at Morningstar.

3 rounds. Two interviewers in the first round, 5 or 6 in the second round, 2 third round (phone)

Questions on investment philsophy, stock pitch, why Chicago, why this role, why Morningstar, the last book I read

Interview Questions
    • Last book I read: it was unexpected but a welcome question as it suggests the firm values fit.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was terrible due to a member of HR who has subsequently been 'reassigned' to another role.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar.

first. submit resume online and add reference. second, get phone interview from hr. then, get phone interview from tech lead. and then onsite interview with the team - team leads, manager, and team members. no onsite brain teasing questions. reasonable tech and standard questions. third, get on site interview with director and above management persons. last, get the job offer - need to provide financial info, reference names, and other documents, etc.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Morningstar.

First round of interviews was a skype interview with HR, second round was the office visit which consisted of three interviews with managers, there was also a group project followed by presentations. They brought in a lot of people to interview, I interviewed with a group of 50 (half were MDP and the other half were the technical MDP). The job didn't sound too exciting, everyone starts out in either product support or as a data analyst for the first year. Then after a year you can apply internally to another position but it seemed competitive. The people of the program emphasize "vertical career path" but it just seemed like you would transition to another position with a different title but would still be doing the same thing. I don't really understand the type of person they're looking for, they say they want someone who is driven and don't care too much about a finance background but mostly everyone there has a financial related background. The environment is very relaxed and casual which is cool but you feel awkward and overdressed in a suit when interviewing. I didn't really like the environment there, I thought since it was a financial company they would be a little more high paced, exciting and professional. It's not a bad company I just didn't feel like I fit in there and it wasn't exactly the type of job I was looking for.
    It's not a big deal if you don't get an offer, the program exaggerates how flexible it is but you can tell it's competitive internally to transition to another position. It seems like everyone is constantly trying to move around so there doesn't seem to be a lot of experience in one position...that could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Interview Questions
    • They asked weird questions that were "creative", it seemed like they were looking for a specific type of answer..
      -What would you invest in with $10,000?
      -What do you know about mutual bonds?
      -How would you invest in mutual bonds?
      -What career path do you see yourself taking here?
        Answer Question

ETL Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in August 2013.

First was Technical screening via Telephone for 30 minutes. Second round was in person interview which lasted for almost 4.5 hours including lunch. I interviewed with 10 people including HR. Basically it is like 3 Directors , 1 senior architect, 2 people for Technical round , 3 PM and 1 HR. I got the offer the next day. Quick response. Interview process was also smooth.

Interview Questions
    • None. All reasonable questions and made sense when applied to the day to day tasks   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate. I was happy with the offer they gave me.

Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in April 2014.

20 minutes phone interview. Basic behavior questions. 1. why morningstar 2. why we should hire you 3. tell me something not on your resume

one week later, I got on-site interview. I interviewed with 7 managers. The whole interview took 2 hrs. They asked a lot about why do you want to work in finance field. How do you handle conflicts with customers? what do you like about your previous internship and what do you dislike about the internship. Have you done any project about financial planning? What is the big difference between good leader and bad leader?

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in March 2014.

Initial phone screening, followed by an on-site interview with 3 people. The panel interview were really forced, I was interviewed by 3 people but two barely had any question to ask, and they looked like they didn't prepare at all. They look very unenthusiastic. One guy kept asking me what questions I have for them. Afterwards I had 30 minutes to take an exam about SQL, number patterns, and file differences. The lady told me the SQL part was going to be about basic SQL stuff, no it wasn't. It was a complicated 3 part join with a bunch of other constraints and tricks. Number patterns had 30 questions, so make sure you do them quickly. Overall the time constraint was too little for the amount of questions on the exam, and I felt it was unnecessarily hard.

Interview Questions
    • Written exam consists of 3 parts: 1 SQL senario, 30 number pattern questions, and 1 about file differences. You have 30 minutes to complete.   Answer Question

Initial phone interview about 20 mins

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Morningstar.

Initial phone screening is a thirty minute behavioral phone interview to get to know you and why you're interested in the program

Interview Questions
    • What your friends say is the biggest misconception about you   Answer Question

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!