Morningstar

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.9

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morningstar.

First round of interviews was a skype interview with HR, second round was the office visit which consisted of three interviews with managers, there was also a group project followed by presentations. They brought in a lot of people to interview, I interviewed with a group of 50 (half were MDP and the other half were the technical MDP). The job didn't sound too exciting, everyone starts out in either product support or as a data analyst for the first year. Then after a year you can apply internally to another position but it seemed competitive. The people of the program emphasize "vertical career path" but it just seemed like you would transition to another position with a different title but would still be doing the same thing. I don't really understand the type of person they're looking for, they say they want someone who is driven and don't care too much about a finance background but mostly everyone there has a financial related background. The environment is very relaxed and casual which is cool but you feel awkward and overdressed in a suit when interviewing. I didn't really like the environment there, I thought since it was a financial company they would be a little more high paced, exciting and professional. It's not a bad company I just didn't feel like I fit in there and it wasn't exactly the type of job I was looking for.
    It's not a big deal if you don't get an offer, the program exaggerates how flexible it is but you can tell it's competitive internally to transition to another position. It seems like everyone is constantly trying to move around so there doesn't seem to be a lot of experience in one position...that could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Interview Questions
    • They asked weird questions that were "creative", it seemed like they were looking for a specific type of answer..
      -What would you invest in with $10,000?
      -What do you know about mutual bonds?
      -How would you invest in mutual bonds?
      -What career path do you see yourself taking here?

Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

first. submit resume online and add reference. second, get phone interview from hr. then, get phone interview from tech lead. and then onsite interview with the team - team leads, manager, and team members. no onsite brain teasing questions. reasonable tech and standard questions. third, get on site interview with director and above management persons. last, get the job offer - need to provide financial info, reference names, and other documents, etc.

Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in April 2014.

20 minutes phone interview. Basic behavior questions. 1. why morningstar 2. why we should hire you 3. tell me something not on your resume

one week later, I got on-site interview. I interviewed with 7 managers. The whole interview took 2 hrs. They asked a lot about why do you want to work in finance field. How do you handle conflicts with customers? what do you like about your previous internship and what do you dislike about the internship. Have you done any project about financial planning? What is the big difference between good leader and bad leader?

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morningstar.

Initial phone screening is a thirty minute behavioral phone interview to get to know you and why you're interested in the program

Interview Questions
    • What your friends say is the biggest misconception about you   Answer Question

Initial phone interview about 20 mins

Software Development Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morningstar.

I was asked some conceptual questions about JAVA. Such as the difference between abstract class and interface, type of modifier, and a question about garbage collection. The questions are pretty simple if you prepare for them. Also the coding part has no difficulties either. Coding is about sorting, recursion.

Storage and Backup Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Morningstar.

I suggest to read through this review even though it is long if you are going to apply.

I applied to morningstar online when they had an opening for a storage engineer position. I am a highly qualified and certified storage professional. I received an email from an Hr intern for scheduling an initial phone screening with the hiring manager. I took the phone interview and it went very well. The following day I was contacted by the main recruiter (previously i was contacted by her interns) and she mentioned that they want to move forward and they are impressed with my interview and would are currently at offer stage. She said they are waiting on just one approval which will be approved by next day noon. I was a little surprised as decided to hire me with just one interview but was convinced that my skillset was rare and the one interview went very well. But to be fair she mentioned that this is still a tentative verbal offer but not a consolidated offer but 99% it should be approved by the one remaining manager.

Next day I was contacted by the senior HR person again and this time she said sorry manager liked me but he still want to see what's out there. I was appalled and sent a letter explaining why I would think that I am a perfect fit for this role.

After a few days I was contacted back from the HR saying they would like to have another phone interview with a director in london. I took the interview and did very very well. Next day I got a call from the intern who scheduled my initial interview and she said they are still looking for other candidates and she have not heard anything back on my first interview and probably they would like to move on. Then I mentioned to her that I had been in contact with the main HR person and have taken interview from the director and she apologized for not being up to date with my application coz she is part time and had not had chance to synq with main HR. I accepted her apology and she said she will get in touch with me regarding my next step in the process.

I was contacted by the main HR person again to schedule a skype interview with 8 members of their team and I took a half day off my work and took the skype interview and again did very well. I was told that interview went very very well and they are waiting on a director level approval and I should know if its a yay or nay in a day or two. then the next day main HR person called me and told that they wanted to go ahead and present me an offer but they did not have budget for me. I was dumb stuck. I could not comprehend why would any one would set up a requirement without budget approval. She finally told me that she won't know when the budget would be approved and asked me to pursue other opportunities and she would contact me back when they approve budget. After all this I was completely exhausted by the methods and wrote a letter to their IT director, Hiring manager and HR person stating my impression on their hiring policies and how that will drive away talent from them and mentioned to accept my withdrawal from the application.

Two days later the HR person called me in set up a meeting with hiring manager and surprisingly they made me an offer. They did not mention a thing about the letter I wrote to them earlier. My mistake was to accept the offer letter (I was very very uninterested but in this economy i decided to let go off previous reservations I had with this company) and they put me through their background verification process. After two weeks the HR person called me back and told that they want to revoke the offer because they feel this is in best interest of the both company and employee. I could not be more glad that they revoked as i found their true colors of organization before I moved from texas to Chicago.

I know this is quite a long post but this an experience I have never had with any other much much larger organizations and felt like people who are planning to apply or even been offered position or as a matter of fact even employed should know. They are highly unstable in their decisions and it reflected in all through their hiring process.

I did not negotiate as they came up with okayish offer

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Morningstar.

Applied through campus recruitment. Along with the application they wanted a writing sample to guage writing/ analytical skills. After going through the initial screening process they called in a for an in person interview. Had a series of interviews at their office. Had to make some stock pitches and had several questions regarding the stock that I pitched. Overall a good interview experience.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in March 2014.

Initial phone screening, followed by an on-site interview with 3 people. The panel interview were really forced, I was interviewed by 3 people but two barely had any question to ask, and they looked like they didn't prepare at all. They look very unenthusiastic. One guy kept asking me what questions I have for them. Afterwards I had 30 minutes to take an exam about SQL, number patterns, and file differences. The lady told me the SQL part was going to be about basic SQL stuff, no it wasn't. It was a complicated 3 part join with a bunch of other constraints and tricks. Number patterns had 30 questions, so make sure you do them quickly. Overall the time constraint was too little for the amount of questions on the exam, and I felt it was unnecessarily hard.

Interview Questions
    • Written exam consists of 3 parts: 1 SQL senario, 30 number pattern questions, and 1 about file differences. You have 30 minutes to complete.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

1. Team submit a request;
    2. Once get an approvement, HR will filter out the applications
    3. Telephone interview & onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • Hard to understand the whole picture of the company strategy.   Answer Question