Morningstar Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.9

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone interview, 2.5 hour in person interview. I did a lot of research, but the people who interviewed me were very nice and very capable of answering all my questions. The in person was three rounds, first one with two people (one on the phone), second one with just one, and the last one with two people.

Interview Questions

• How will your past experiences in school help you in this position? Can you give me an example?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

Received an email for a phone interview that would take just about 30min or so. Nothing out of the norm, once they finally called, the HR women were on conference and identified themselves as who and what they did, etc.. The questions were boring, they asked to described all my past positions from back in 2000 o now. Then asked what I thought and liked about MS. That made me want to work there.. I mean really?? That's it? For such a prestigious and recognized company you would think the interview would be just a bit more professional! I already had a bad vibe with these two.. Not worth my time...

MDP Interview

Interview

two phone interviews, one behavioral question with hr another technical. on site interview has about 40 candidates. onsite interview last one day. one to one talks and a group assignment

Interview Questions

Interview

I was asked to complete a Skype interview. The connection was poor and the call cut out after about five minutes. The phone call also had extremely poor reception. I could barely hear anything the recruiter was saying and I doubt she heard anything I said at all (she repeatedly asked me to repeat myself). I don't know what was wrong, but I emailed immediately after and offered to clarify things via email or to recall from a different line. I'm email was ignored.

Interview Questions

• very typical questions. what sort of groups do you like working in, how do you deal with team dynamics, discuss successes and failures, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online roughly 3 weeks ago, very interested in the company and know a lot of very bright people who work for the organization. I received a phone call from the recruiting team and to be honest, felt it borderlined a confrontational conversation. Nonetheless, scheduled two phone interviews that I thought went well. I then received a rejection letter from the recruiting manager, only to have her call me a few days later to tell me that was a mistake. We scheduled an in person interview- 4 people on the schedule. I took a half day off of work (I work for a prop shop so it was a pain), only to arrive and interview for 15 minutes with the recruiting manager to be dismissed. She was scattered, and it was "you're too senior for this role". I was taken aback and frankly very disappointed that Morningstar would waste my time. Poor foot forward, poor brand representation. I think even if I wasn't a good fit for the job, that the their should be respect for those that go out of their way to interview with the team. This is clearly not the directive of the recruiting organization, particularly this crass manager that clearly lacks polish or experience.

Interview Questions

• Over the phone they asked me some basic object and class questions, recursion questions, fundamentals of object oriented development. In person the only questions was, why are you here? Didn't get to meet the rest of the team.   Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, both entirely behavioral. The interview questions were very standard and unimaginative: - Tell us about a time you worked in a team - When was a time you failed, and what did you do about it? - Do you prefer to work in teams or alone? The final round is arranged as a super day with around 20-30 applicants. You each have three one on one behavioral interviews and then given a group presentation on an assigned topic relating to Morningstar products.

Interview Questions

• The stock market has been particularly volatile this week--why do you think that is?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A it's a standard entry level package, no negotiation

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First interview was on campus with a recruiter, strictly behavioral. About three weeks later, I was invited to the Morningstar office in Chicago for final rounds. Super day consisted of a group case presentation in the morning and one-on-one interviews with managers in the afternoon. The managers were all friendly and highly intelligent. Mostly behavioral questions, such as "what business would you start with 10000 dollars?" One of the interviews was a business strategy discussion as well.

Interview Questions

• How does Netflix retain its competitive advantage and what are its next steps? (This only came up after being asked to discuss a product I use frequently)   Answer Question

I had another offer more in line with what I wanted to do.

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

After applying, HR contacted me to set up a phone screen which lasted about 30 minutes. HR staff member was on the call. She was short with me and seemed kind of rude. Very insistent on me naming a desired salary, or the conversation could not go any further. I was hoping to hear more about the position before talking about money. I feel interviews should be to see if the applicant and the employer have common values and product interests, not salary requirements. Next, they flew me to Chicago for an on-site interview. Most folks were very nice and answered all questions I had in a friendly conversation. The tech interviewer asked odd questions that didn't seem to relate to the job, but I felt positive about my answers. The last person I met with was in HR and continued to only talk about money. I wasn't a fan of her attitude, but overall was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• If you needed to access data from another department to integrate with an application you were building, how would go about doing that?   Answer Question

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

Applied through my college. The interview was very straight forward, and comprised entirely of behavioral questions. The interviewer was friendly, and the entire interview ended up being quite conversational. There was a large emphasis on teamwork, experience as a leader, and dealing with difficult team members. Thought that the interview went well, but didn't get a call-back.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

College campus recruiting. Interview process took 3 weeks and waiting for the decision is another 3 weeks. 3 back-to-back interviews and one group case presentation. Interviewers are extremely nice and accommodating. Mostly behavioral questions. Morningstar is a great company! I had an extremely positive experience.