Morningstar Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

First interview was on campus with a recruiter, strictly behavioral. About three weeks later, I was invited to the Morningstar office in Chicago for final rounds. Super day consisted of a group case presentation in the morning and one-on-one interviews with managers in the afternoon. The managers were all friendly and highly intelligent. Mostly behavioral questions, such as "what business would you start with 10000 dollars?" One of the interviews was a business strategy discussion as well.

Interview Questions
    • How does Netflix retain its competitive advantage and what are its next steps? (This only came up after being asked to discuss a product I use frequently)   Answer Question

I had another offer more in line with what I wanted to do.

Web Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Morningstar.

After applying, HR contacted me to set up a phone screen which lasted about 30 minutes. HR staff member was on the call. She was short with me and seemed kind of rude. Very insistent on me naming a desired salary, or the conversation could not go any further. I was hoping to hear more about the position before talking about money. I feel interviews should be to see if the applicant and the employer have common values and product interests, not salary requirements. Next, they flew me to Chicago for an on-site interview. Most folks were very nice and answered all questions I had in a friendly conversation. The tech interviewer asked odd questions that didn't seem to relate to the job, but I felt positive about my answers. The last person I met with was in HR and continued to only talk about money. I wasn't a fan of her attitude, but overall was a positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • If you needed to access data from another department to integrate with an application you were building, how would go about doing that?   Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Applied through my college. The interview was very straight forward, and comprised entirely of behavioral questions. The interviewer was friendly, and the entire interview ended up being quite conversational. There was a large emphasis on teamwork, experience as a leader, and dealing with difficult team members. Thought that the interview went well, but didn't get a call-back.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

College campus recruiting. Interview process took 3 weeks and waiting for the decision is another 3 weeks. 3 back-to-back interviews and one group case presentation. Interviewers are extremely nice and accommodating. Mostly behavioral questions. Morningstar is a great company! I had an extremely positive experience.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in November 2014.

Skype interview with HR that lasted 30 minutes. Mostly behavioral and background. Know your resume and ties to Morningstar. In office interview day consisted of group project and 3 personal interviews.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you faced a difficult decision and had to choose the best option?   Answer Question
    None

Product Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

This was one of the longest interview processes I have even experienced. The HR representative first contacted me by phone for the phone interview. After that, I was scheduled for an interview with five different managers. I was told beforehand that this would be a long interview, so I was prepared. The problem was that all five managers asked me almost the same set of questions. It became a little difficult to stay enthusiastic after answering the same questions several times. The managers were extremely nice, and I felt at ease during the interview. I then heard back from the HR rep within a month and was offered the position.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in October 2014.

I applied through the website with a cover letter and resume. About a week later I had a Skype interview with someone in HR. About a week after that, I was flown to Chicago to attend a Superday.

Superday consisted of a group presentation and three interviews with people throughout the company. Group presentation was easy, I think they were not looking for how you answered the question, but more how you presented it and how good you are at public speaking. Groups of about 3 or 4.

Interviews were mostly behavioral, although I heard some people who had some technical questions. I found the interviews fairly easy, they were more like a conversation rather than an interview.

Interview Questions

Better offer somewhere else.

Senior Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Two rounds of interviews; first round was conducted via phone, second was in-person technical interview. Was contacted after having some communication with a colleague from another business unit a few months earlier. That opportunity wasn't the best fit, but was referred to MIM unit for Sr. Consultant position opportunity due to internal turnover and transitioning. Initial call was fairly detailed in terms of questions asked; everything from why I chose my major in college to why I joined the Economics Club in High School to what my day-to-day responsibilities are in my current role, etc...They definitely wanted to confirm that had a genuine interest in investing, that's for damn sure.

Was contacted a week or so after first interview via email. HR noted that my initial conversation was well received and that I was being invited to come in to meet w/ 3 senior level colleagues within MIM. Interview was immediately scheduled for the following week.

The in-person interview was definitely not what I was expecting, but in the best way possible. It was very informal (everyone was in casual dress) and was more of a round-table discussion on investments (they inquired about my personal portfolio and why I chose certain investments, etc) and portfolio management. Considering the fact that this is what I do for a living, I felt extremely confident talking candidly about current market conditions, specific investment managers and their inherent philosophies/strategies, as well as my own personal investment beliefs. The entire interview lasted about 2.5 hours or so and ended with the CIO taking me on a tour of the building and noting how their culture "will be totally different than what [I] am currently used to".

Upon the culmination of the tour, he had noted that I'd hear from them within the next few days, but to definitely reach out to any of the interviewers or HR should I have any lingering questions. I thanked him and left feeling pretty confident in my performance.

The next day, I sent a thank you email to all interviewers (even copied HR) noting the specific reasons why I would succeed in the opportunity at hand (10 yrs exp, AA work, mgr research exp, etc). A week went by...no answer. So, I decided to give it a few more days, and sent a follow up email to just the hiring manager and HR person. No response. A few more weeks go by and STILL no word from anyone on their search process. Meanwhile, I see the dreaded reposting of the job opening on all major job search engines. Finally, I get an email the other day noting that I will not be considered for the opening due to their "particular needs of the position".

So, after almost 4 weeks of hanging in the wind, I was finally put out to pasture by means of a pretty vague response. All in all, I'm not quite sure if I was overqualified for the position or if they wanted someone who they could mould into their own. I would have to say that the process was pretty off-putting, especially considering the lack of communication post-2nd interview.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to describe how I would construct various types of portfolios from the ground up. I was given 3 different client types (I believe they were corp, end/fdn, & public fund) and basically was told to give a generalized answer (which, if you work in consulting or portfolio management, you know is kind of an open-ended question that can go a million different ways). Wasn't a tough questions by any means, but I had to let them know that I could be there until the next day describing all of the intricacies inherent to each client type.   View Answer

QA Analyst Interview

I got the interview through a inner referral, was contacted in one day. A phone interview. haven't gone to the technical interview yet. That phone interview lasts about half a hour.

Interview Questions
    • just general questions and asked about my projects on resume. nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Equity Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Morningstar.

3 rounds. Two interviewers in the first round, 5 or 6 in the second round, 2 third round (phone)

Questions on investment philsophy, stock pitch, why Chicago, why this role, why Morningstar, the last book I read

Interview Questions
    • Last book I read: it was unexpected but a welcome question as it suggests the firm values fit.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was terrible due to a member of HR who has subsequently been 'reassigned' to another role.