Morningstar

Very Easy Interview

Storage and Backup Engineer Interview

Storage and Backup Engineer
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – I suggest to read through this review even though it is long if you are going to apply.

I applied to morningstar online when they had an opening for a storage engineer position. I am a highly qualified and certified storage professional. I received an email from an Hr intern for scheduling an initial phone screening with the hiring manager. I took the phone interview and it went very well. The following day I was contacted by the main recruiter (previously i was contacted by her interns) and she mentioned that they want to move forward and they are impressed with my interview and would are currently at offer stage. She said they are waiting on just one approval which will be approved by next day noon. I was a little surprised as decided to hire me with just one interview but was convinced that my skillset was rare and the one interview went very well. But to be fair she mentioned that this is still a tentative verbal offer but not a consolidated offer but 99% it should be approved by the one remaining manager.

Next day I was contacted by the senior HR person again and this time she said sorry manager liked me but he still want to see what's out there. I was appalled and sent a letter explaining why I would think that I am a perfect fit for this role.

After a few days I was contacted back from the HR saying they would like to have another phone interview with a director in london. I took the interview and did very very well. Next day I got a call from the intern who scheduled my initial interview and she said they are still looking for other candidates and she have not heard anything back on my first interview and probably they would like to move on. Then I mentioned to her that I had been in contact with the main HR person and have taken interview from the director and she apologized for not being up to date with my application coz she is part time and had not had chance to synq with main HR. I accepted her apology and she said she will get in touch with me regarding my next step in the process.

I was contacted by the main HR person again to schedule a skype interview with 8 members of their team and I took a half day off my work and took the skype interview and again did very well. I was told that interview went very very well and they are waiting on a director level approval and I should know if its a yay or nay in a day or two. then the next day main HR person called me and told that they wanted to go ahead and present me an offer but they did not have budget for me. I was dumb stuck. I could not comprehend why would any one would set up a requirement without budget approval. She finally told me that she won't know when the budget would be approved and asked me to pursue other opportunities and she would contact me back when they approve budget. After all this I was completely exhausted by the methods and wrote a letter to their IT director, Hiring manager and HR person stating my impression on their hiring policies and how that will drive away talent from them and mentioned to accept my withdrawal from the application.

Two days later the HR person called me in set up a meeting with hiring manager and surprisingly they made me an offer. They did not mention a thing about the letter I wrote to them earlier. My mistake was to accept the offer letter (I was very very uninterested but in this economy i decided to let go off previous reservations I had with this company) and they put me through their background verification process. After two weeks the HR person called me back and told that they want to revoke the offer because they feel this is in best interest of the both company and employee. I could not be more glad that they revoked as i found their true colors of organization before I moved from texas to Chicago.

I know this is quite a long post but this an experience I have never had with any other much much larger organizations and felt like people who are planning to apply or even been offered position or as a matter of fact even employed should know. They are highly unstable in their decisions and it reflected in all through their hiring process.

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate as they came up with okayish offer

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in October 2011.

Interview Details – Straightforward interview process for the college recruiting program they run. Started with a video conference interview about half hour. After that the follow-up was an in-person series of interviews, consisting of four or five total--each about 30-45 minutes long. All the interviews were behavorial and consisted of the standard questions.

Interview Question – To be honest there wasn't anything particularly difficult or unexpected. One of the interviews had some more abstract situational questions, but that was because the interviewer wanted to work off a pre-set sheet of questions she had.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruitment. Along with the application they wanted a writing sample to guage writing/ analytical skills. After going through the initial screening process they called in a for an in person interview. Had a series of interviews at their office. Had to make some stock pitches and had several questions regarding the stock that I pitched. Overall a good interview experience.

Interview Question – Had some difficult behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – 1. Team submit a request;
2. Once get an approvement, HR will filter out the applications
3. Telephone interview & onsite interview.

Interview Question – Hard to understand the whole picture of the company strategy.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and within 2 weeks received a request for a phone interview with an HR representative. That was followed by another phone interview with the hiring manager, an in person interview with the hiring manager and 2 colleagues, then a final in person interview with at least 1 executive. Overall everyone was polite and friendly, the questions were geared towards situations that were not ideal with which you have had to deal with in previous experiences. i believe that having a background similar to the position you are applying for is helpful but Morningstar puts a lot of weight on cultural and personal fit with the company. That is to say if they believe you can learn the role without difficulty and easily assimilate to the office culture you are likely to be perceived well. Keep in mind that I am speaking from a 0-3 years experience point of view.

Interview Question – There were not any memorable questions that stand out as difficult. The most interesting part was meeting with the company executive. He was the head of a division that had very little to do with the position for which I was applying, but it is company policy for all applicants to meet with an executive before being hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – At the time I had no competing offers to use as leverage so the process was very short.

Very Difficult Interview

Equity Analyst Interview

Equity Analyst

Interviewed at Morningstar

Interview Details – Applied via employee referral. Received an initial phone interview from HR. Questions were standard phone interview questions, overview of professional experience, why Morningstar, why Equity Analyst, etc. At the end of the conversation, was asked to schedule for in-person interview, which was conducted the following week. The in-person interview focused heavily on industry trend, companies and etc and wasn't at all about my professional experience.

Interview Question – Nothing was too difficult, yet nothing was easy.   Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Morningstar Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – First round- on campus interview, behavioral interview one on one. It lasted about 20 minutes.
Second round- on site final interview. Spoke with 3 different employees for 30 minutes each. Mostly behavioral interview questions. Had a case interview with a presentation that followed in a group of four. The case was given a week in advance.

Interview Question – Our company gives sabbaticals, what would you do with yours?   Answer Question

Library and Sales Intern Interview

Library and Sales Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in November 2012.

Interview Details – It was a very nice interview. Four groups of people interviewed me. All the questions were behavioral. They were all nice and knowledgeable professionals. The entire interview lasted for two hours. The environment was beautiful and comfortable. They have an energetic place and made me feel great.

The first interview started telling me about the position and its responsibilities. He then asked me a few behavioral questions and some questions about my background, interests, personality, etc. The next group involves people from the team that I would be working with. They told me a little about the position as well and asked me behavioral questions. The last two groups were from the HR. Again, all behavioral questions.

The interview went smoothly. I really enjoyed it.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you failed and explain why.   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Product Consultant

Interviewed at Morningstar

Interview Details – Total of 12 interviews ranging from CEO to colleagues. Questions were mainly behavior based but every interview operated more as a discussion. Showing personality and drive seemed to go a long way.

Interview Question – Why are you looking for a new job?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

Interviewed at Morningstar

Interview Details – Very straight-forward, they were very flexible when arranging the interviews

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult   Answer Question