Morningstar Morningstar Development Program Interview Questions

Updated May 27, 2015

2.8

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

Put in touch through campus career department. First interview was over skype and lasted about 30 minutes. The interviewer was very nice and was conversational. Most of the interview was behavioral questions. Asked to describe when I failed and how I handled the situation. Heard back within a week via email that they were pursuing other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions: Tell me a time when... What was the last book you read outside of your major?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Morningstar

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

They called me to schedule a phone interview and then said it would be a skype interview, but switched it back to phone. The interview was normal behavioral questions, why I want to work for Morningstar, how did I react to a time I failed, what are my strengths/weaknesses, etc.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR to set up a 30 minute phone interview a day or two after submitting my application. The phone interview consisted mostly of questions pertaining to past experiences and why I wanted to work at Morningstar. Exactly a week later I was asked to come in for an interview. On the day of the interview (only four days after I was asked to come in), there were maybe 20 other interviewees there. We all met with four people in one-on-one interviews that lasted a half an hour each. Everybody I spoke with was extremely friendly, laid-back, and intelligent. I came very well prepared, felt that everything went as well as it possibly could have, received positive feedback from everybody I interviewed with and was confident an offer would be extended to me. I was surprised when I received an email about a week and a half later saying I had not been chosen.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a conflict at work and how did you resolve it? What is a great challenge you have overcome? What can you tell me about yourself that isn't on your resume? What would you do with a six week sabbatical?   Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

The phone screening went well lasted about 30 minutes. HR very skilled at coming off as laid back and making applicant feel comfortable. questions about team work and how you operate in group situations. Invited to final round interview. Responsive and helpful HR personal, quick responses.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Interview

I was asked to complete a Skype interview. The connection was poor and the call cut out after about five minutes. The phone call also had extremely poor reception. I could barely hear anything the recruiter was saying and I doubt she heard anything I said at all (she repeatedly asked me to repeat myself). I don't know what was wrong, but I emailed immediately after and offered to clarify things via email or to recall from a different line. I'm email was ignored.

Interview Questions

• very typical questions. what sort of groups do you like working in, how do you deal with team dynamics, discuss successes and failures, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, both entirely behavioral. The interview questions were very standard and unimaginative: - Tell us about a time you worked in a team - When was a time you failed, and what did you do about it? - Do you prefer to work in teams or alone? The final round is arranged as a super day with around 20-30 applicants. You each have three one on one behavioral interviews and then given a group presentation on an assigned topic relating to Morningstar products.

Interview Questions

• The stock market has been particularly volatile this week--why do you think that is?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A it's a standard entry level package, no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First interview was on campus with a recruiter, strictly behavioral. About three weeks later, I was invited to the Morningstar office in Chicago for final rounds. Super day consisted of a group case presentation in the morning and one-on-one interviews with managers in the afternoon. The managers were all friendly and highly intelligent. Mostly behavioral questions, such as "what business would you start with 10000 dollars?" One of the interviews was a business strategy discussion as well.

Interview Questions

• How does Netflix retain its competitive advantage and what are its next steps? (This only came up after being asked to discuss a product I use frequently)   Answer Question

I had another offer more in line with what I wanted to do.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

Applied through my college. The interview was very straight forward, and comprised entirely of behavioral questions. The interviewer was friendly, and the entire interview ended up being quite conversational. There was a large emphasis on teamwork, experience as a leader, and dealing with difficult team members. Thought that the interview went well, but didn't get a call-back.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

College campus recruiting. Interview process took 3 weeks and waiting for the decision is another 3 weeks. 3 back-to-back interviews and one group case presentation. Interviewers are extremely nice and accommodating. Mostly behavioral questions. Morningstar is a great company! I had an extremely positive experience.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in November 2014.

Interview

Skype interview with HR that lasted 30 minutes. Mostly behavioral and background. Know your resume and ties to Morningstar. In office interview day consisted of group project and 3 personal interviews.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you faced a difficult decision and had to choose the best option?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None