Morningstar

Updated Dec 19, 2014

2.8

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Two rounds of interviews, both entirely behavioral.
The interview questions were very standard and unimaginative:
- Tell us about a time you worked in a team
- When was a time you failed, and what did you do about it?
- Do you prefer to work in teams or alone?

The final round is arranged as a super day with around 20-30 applicants. You each have three one on one behavioral interviews and then given a group presentation on an assigned topic relating to Morningstar products.

Interview Questions
  • The stock market has been particularly volatile this week--why do you think that is?   Answer Question
N/A it's a standard entry level package, no negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Morningstar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

First interview was on campus with a recruiter, strictly behavioral. About three weeks later, I was invited to the Morningstar office in Chicago for final rounds. Super day consisted of a group case presentation in the morning and one-on-one interviews with managers in the afternoon. The managers were all friendly and highly intelligent. Mostly behavioral questions, such as "what business would you start with 10000 dollars?" One of the interviews was a business strategy discussion as well.

Interview Questions
    • How does Netflix retain its competitive advantage and what are its next steps? (This only came up after being asked to discuss a product I use frequently)   Answer Question

I had another offer more in line with what I wanted to do.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Applied through my college. The interview was very straight forward, and comprised entirely of behavioral questions. The interviewer was friendly, and the entire interview ended up being quite conversational. There was a large emphasis on teamwork, experience as a leader, and dealing with difficult team members. Thought that the interview went well, but didn't get a call-back.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

College campus recruiting. Interview process took 3 weeks and waiting for the decision is another 3 weeks. 3 back-to-back interviews and one group case presentation. Interviewers are extremely nice and accommodating. Mostly behavioral questions. Morningstar is a great company! I had an extremely positive experience.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in November 2014.

Skype interview with HR that lasted 30 minutes. Mostly behavioral and background. Know your resume and ties to Morningstar. In office interview day consisted of group project and 3 personal interviews.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that you faced a difficult decision and had to choose the best option?   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in October 2014.

I applied through the website with a cover letter and resume. About a week later I had a Skype interview with someone in HR. About a week after that, I was flown to Chicago to attend a Superday.

Superday consisted of a group presentation and three interviews with people throughout the company. Group presentation was easy, I think they were not looking for how you answered the question, but more how you presented it and how good you are at public speaking. Groups of about 3 or 4.

Interviews were mostly behavioral, although I heard some people who had some technical questions. I found the interviews fairly easy, they were more like a conversation rather than an interview.

Interview Questions

Better offer somewhere else.

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Morningstar.

First round of interviews was a skype interview with HR, second round was the office visit which consisted of three interviews with managers, there was also a group project followed by presentations. They brought in a lot of people to interview, I interviewed with a group of 50 (half were MDP and the other half were the technical MDP). The job didn't sound too exciting, everyone starts out in either product support or as a data analyst for the first year. Then after a year you can apply internally to another position but it seemed competitive. The people of the program emphasize "vertical career path" but it just seemed like you would transition to another position with a different title but would still be doing the same thing. I don't really understand the type of person they're looking for, they say they want someone who is driven and don't care too much about a finance background but mostly everyone there has a financial related background. The environment is very relaxed and casual which is cool but you feel awkward and overdressed in a suit when interviewing. I didn't really like the environment there, I thought since it was a financial company they would be a little more high paced, exciting and professional. It's not a bad company I just didn't feel like I fit in there and it wasn't exactly the type of job I was looking for.
    It's not a big deal if you don't get an offer, the program exaggerates how flexible it is but you can tell it's competitive internally to transition to another position. It seems like everyone is constantly trying to move around so there doesn't seem to be a lot of experience in one position...that could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Interview Questions
    • They asked weird questions that were "creative", it seemed like they were looking for a specific type of answer..
      -What would you invest in with $10,000?
      -What do you know about mutual bonds?
      -How would you invest in mutual bonds?
      -What career path do you see yourself taking here?

Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Morningstar.

Initial phone screening is a thirty minute behavioral phone interview to get to know you and why you're interested in the program

Interview Questions
    • What your friends say is the biggest misconception about you   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar in April 2014.

Initial phone interview about 20 mins

Morningstar Development Program Interview

First round- on campus interview, behavioral interview one on one. It lasted about 20 minutes.
    Second round- on site final interview. Spoke with 3 different employees for 30 minutes each. Mostly behavioral interview questions. Had a case interview with a presentation that followed in a group of four. The case was given a week in advance.

Interview Questions
    • Our company gives sabbaticals, what would you do with yours?   Answer Question