Morningstar

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Morningstar Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – First round of interviews was a skype interview with HR, second round was the office visit which consisted of three interviews with managers, there was also a group project followed by presentations. They brought in a lot of people to interview, I interviewed with a group of 50 (half were MDP and the other half were the technical MDP). The job didn't sound too exciting, everyone starts out in either product support or as a data analyst for the first year. Then after a year you can apply internally to another position but it seemed competitive. The people of the program emphasize "vertical career path" but it just seemed like you would transition to another position with a different title but would still be doing the same thing. I don't really understand the type of person they're looking for, they say they want someone who is driven and don't care too much about a finance background but mostly everyone there has a financial related background. The environment is very relaxed and casual which is cool but you feel awkward and overdressed in a suit when interviewing. I didn't really like the environment there, I thought since it was a financial company they would be a little more high paced, exciting and professional. It's not a bad company I just didn't feel like I fit in there and it wasn't exactly the type of job I was looking for.
It's not a big deal if you don't get an offer, the program exaggerates how flexible it is but you can tell it's competitive internally to transition to another position. It seems like everyone is constantly trying to move around so there doesn't seem to be a lot of experience in one position...that could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

Interview Question – They asked weird questions that were "creative", it seemed like they were looking for a specific type of answer..
-What would you invest in with $10,000?
-What do you know about mutual bonds?
-How would you invest in mutual bonds?
-What career path do you see yourself taking here?
  Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in April 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview about 20 mins

Interview Question – Tell me something not on your resume   Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program

I applied online and interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening is a thirty minute behavioral phone interview to get to know you and why you're interested in the program

Interview Question – What your friends say is the biggest misconception about you   Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – First round- on campus interview, behavioral interview one on one. It lasted about 20 minutes.
Second round- on site final interview. Spoke with 3 different employees for 30 minutes each. Mostly behavioral interview questions. Had a case interview with a presentation that followed in a group of four. The case was given a week in advance.

Interview Question – Our company gives sabbaticals, what would you do with yours?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – The process begins with a resume drop and review period, and if you move forward from there you're called back for a first-round interview. The first round consists almost entirely of behavioral questions, from "walk me through your resume" to "strengths and weaknesses" questions. If you move past the first round, you are invited to the Chicago headquarters for the final round. The final round consists of a 10 minute group presentation, along with three 30-minute one-on-one interviews. The personal interviews are very casual and deal mostly with behavioral questions, unless you happen to describe a particular experience on your resume that parallels a specific function at Morningstar, in which case they may ask more technically-related follow-up questions.

Interview Question – Provide an instance in which you've failed or have performed below expectations? How did you handle such an instance?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in November 2013.

Interview Details – First round is on campus, most of the questions are behavior. A week later, receive the invitation to the on-site final round. Before that, they will ask you to finish a online personality test. In the morning of the final round, there is a programming case, which asks you to work with another candidate and solve a programming problem using a laptop. And then present your work to a penal of the technology higher ups. In the afternoon, three round interviews, most of them are behavioral. The interviewers are very nice. The Morningstar building is cool! Very pleasant interview process.

Interview Question – If I give you 3000 dollars to start a business, what will you do?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Morningstar in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through campus recruiting and had a 30 minute, first-round interview in late October. Second round interviews occurred in early November at their office in Chicago and consisted of three one-on-one interviews and a case presentation in front of the CEO.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you and a team failed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little ability to negotiate.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Morningstar in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in early October of this year and was selected for an initial interview in late October. This initial interview was about 30 minutes long with room for 5 minutes of questions at the end. I received word four days later that I had been selected for the final round interview and was flown out to Chicago for an onsite interviewing day in early November. The process consisted of three traditional interviews (pretty much al behavioral questions to see if you would be a good fit for their culture). The final phase of the interview consisted of a group presentation in front of Morningstar CEO and other executives.

Make sure that you get each person's email address that you interview with and write a personalized thank you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you failed while working with a team?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you were working with a team and you had a drastically different outcome than expected? How did you respond? What could have gone better? What would you have done in the future to prevent it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Entry level position, no room for negotiations.

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Morningstar.

Interview Details – Final Round Interviews consisted of a Case Study Presentation in front of the CEO and a panel of higher-ups, and three 1 on 1 interviews with managers of different divisions. The day concluded with a panel of current program participants answering any questions that the candidates had. Lunch was provided in the cafe.

Interview Question – Why should I choose you over the other 30 candidates?   Answer Question

Morningstar Development Program

I applied online - interviewed at Morningstar in September 2013.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview was mostly behavioral based; one of the more difficult requests for me was: tell me about a time when you had to complete a project with a person you did not work well with. Another was: tell me about a time when you had to do something uncomfortable to accomplish a goal.

Interview Question – The most unexpected request came at the end. The interviewer requested that I tell her about a story related to the market that I recently saw in the news. Luckily I had one in mind, but I was not particularly prepared for this request.   Answer Question

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!