Morningstar Product Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar.

Interview

This was one of the longest interview processes I have even experienced. The HR representative first contacted me by phone for the phone interview. After that, I was scheduled for an interview with five different managers. I was told beforehand that this would be a long interview, so I was prepared. The problem was that all five managers asked me almost the same set of questions. It became a little difficult to stay enthusiastic after answering the same questions several times. The managers were extremely nice, and I felt at ease during the interview. I then heard back from the HR rep within a month and was offered the position.

Other Interview Reviews for Morningstar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

It was a very thorough and comprehensive process. The interview was in two parts, the first being a Skype interview and the second being an in-person session. We also had a panel presentation after prepping a topic in advance. The presentation was helpful because it gave a feel for the company culture and showed the involvement of the senior leadership in the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• What's an example of how you failed at something?   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

Interview

Total of 12 interviews ranging from CEO to colleagues. Questions were mainly behavior based but every interview operated more as a discussion. Showing personality and drive seemed to go a long way.

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Oakland, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

Applied online in reference to ad in the local newspaper. Was called within 48 hours by local office HR to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was a basic walk-through of my resume and history, while briefly describing the position. Within 48 hours of the phone interview, was contacted to set up in-office interviews. The in-office interviews consisted of four half-hour interviews. The first was with two managers, the other three with one manager each. 4 of the 5 people in interviews with were managers for the Data Analyst division of the office. Each interview was a repeat of the previous. Doing a basic resume walk, and then answering some personality-type questions. All of the interviewers were knowledgeable about there positions, and were very friendly all around. Morningstar sounds like a great place to work in the Oakland, MD office. Within two days of the in-office interviews, I was contacted to set up two phone interviews with the Chicago home office, this time in relation to the Data Analyst position. Both phone interviews were very brief. Spoke about the position, why I was interested in Morningstar and how my experience was related. The second interviewer, the Senior VP of the division was 10-15 minutes late, but apologized graciously. All in all, very laid back, smooth interview process. Was contacted within three days of the final phone interviews to inform me the position had been filled, but to expect to be contacted within 2-3 months as soon as they had another position open.

Interview Questions

• What part about the job seems the most intimidating to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2010.

Interview

The hiring process was relatively painfree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2009.

Interview

1st round consisted of a phone interview with HR on campus and 2nd round was a full day interview in Chicago consisting of four 1:1s. First round questions were mostly behavioral and fit, building rapport with the interviewer, and giving reasons why you want to work for Morningstar as a "name of position." Second round included dinner at the HQ with HR, current employees, and MDP candidates, mostly for information gathering for the next day's interview. On nterview day there were firm presentations to give candidates a feel for Morningstar's business practices and culture and four 1:1s interviews with Managers, HR, and previous MDPer. Overall, recruiting was very well organized and tightly run.

Interview Questions

• Ask me a question.   1 Answer
    • What are your regrets in attending the college/university you attended.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in August 2009.

Interview

The overall interview was ok, was asked why I want to work for morningstar 2 times with different questions and whether or not i was flexible and give a example.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in September 2008.

Interview

Short in person interviews, more conversational rather than stress based. Hit on a number of behavioral questions as well as questions about experience and skills. They look for very smart people who will fit in well, since they can teach you everything else you need to know. They promote from within, so going down a notch role-wise will not harm your long-term prospects.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Morningstar (Chicago, IL) in November 2007.

Interview

The initial interview was one-on-one with an HR representative and lasted about 30 minutes. The conversation flowed naturally; she asked about my interest in Morningstar, things I'd pursued academically during college, as well as my extracurriculars. She asked what I knew about Morningstar. I was able to ask questions about the company. The second round interview occurred at their offices in Chicago. I interviewed with four individuals that day and also heard presentations about Morningstar. There was a recruiting dinner the previous evening. Everyone was very friendly and no one used "scripts" in their interview like many companies do.

Interview Questions

• Your major wasn't finance, why are you interested in Morningstar? Or some formulation of this question...   Answer Question