Morningstar Product Consultant Interview Questions

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Consultant Interview

Total of 12 interviews ranging from CEO to colleagues. Questions were mainly behavior based but every interview operated more as a discussion. Showing personality and drive seemed to go a long way.

Other Interview Reviews for Morningstar

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in September 2008.

Short in person interviews, more conversational rather than stress based. Hit on a number of behavioral questions as well as questions about experience and skills. They look for very smart people who will fit in well, since they can teach you everything else you need to know. They promote from within, so going down a notch role-wise will not harm your long-term prospects.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oakland, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in March 2012.

Applied online in reference to ad in the local newspaper. Was called within 48 hours by local office HR to set up a phone interview. Phone interview was a basic walk-through of my resume and history, while briefly describing the position. Within 48 hours of the phone interview, was contacted to set up in-office interviews. The in-office interviews consisted of four half-hour interviews. The first was with two managers, the other three with one manager each.

4 of the 5 people in interviews with were managers for the Data Analyst division of the office. Each interview was a repeat of the previous. Doing a basic resume walk, and then answering some personality-type questions. All of the interviewers were knowledgeable about there positions, and were very friendly all around. Morningstar sounds like a great place to work in the Oakland, MD office.

Within two days of the in-office interviews, I was contacted to set up two phone interviews with the Chicago home office, this time in relation to the Data Analyst position. Both phone interviews were very brief. Spoke about the position, why I was interested in Morningstar and how my experience was related. The second interviewer, the Senior VP of the division was 10-15 minutes late, but apologized graciously.

All in all, very laid back, smooth interview process.

Was contacted within three days of the final phone interviews to inform me the position had been filled, but to expect to be contacted within 2-3 months as soon as they had another position open.

Interview Questions
    • What part about the job seems the most intimidating to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in November 2010.

The hiring process was relatively painfree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Morningstar in November 2009.

1st round consisted of a phone interview with HR on campus and 2nd round was a full day interview in Chicago consisting of four 1:1s. First round questions were mostly behavioral and fit, building rapport with the interviewer, and giving reasons why you want to work for Morningstar as a "name of position."

Second round included dinner at the HQ with HR, current employees, and MDP candidates, mostly for information gathering for the next day's interview. On nterview day there were firm presentations to give candidates a feel for Morningstar's business practices and culture and four 1:1s interviews with Managers, HR, and previous MDPer.

Overall, recruiting was very well organized and tightly run.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Morningstar in August 2009.

The overall interview was ok, was asked why I want to work for morningstar 2 times with different questions and whether or not i was flexible and give a example.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in November 2007.

The initial interview was one-on-one with an HR representative and lasted about 30 minutes. The conversation flowed naturally; she asked about my interest in Morningstar, things I'd pursued academically during college, as well as my extracurriculars. She asked what I knew about Morningstar. I was able to ask questions about the company.
    The second round interview occurred at their offices in Chicago. I interviewed with four individuals that day and also heard presentations about Morningstar. There was a recruiting dinner the previous evening. Everyone was very friendly and no one used "scripts" in their interview like many companies do.

Interview Questions
    • Your major wasn't finance, why are you interested in Morningstar? Or some formulation of this question...   Answer Question

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!