Morningstar

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in October 2013.

Interview Details – One round general phone screening.
Two rounds technical phone screening.
One round on site interview.

Be positive in your responses and be clear about what you know and dont know. Also let them know that you are keen to learn new technologies. Don't get overwhelmed when asked to solve a difficult problem during on site interview. They are just looking to see how you go about solving a problem.

Interview Question – To solve a problem that they are having right now on a white board.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Be precise on why you want a higher pay. Provide numbers if possible.

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Morningstar in December 2011.

Interview Details – the overall process was rather nice and smooth, there were a few mistakes like scheduling of a in-person interviews ( i had them twice). There was one phone interview, next one was with developers and the team members, I would work with directly. Also, at that time I met managers and directors of such department.
Next in-person interview was scheduled with directors of HR, vice presidents of IT and finally the head of whole IT dept. of the company. The experience was nice, altough I believe their current vice president was looking for a little bit different skillset then the initially mentioned in job description. So I see some discrepancies here of how they understood who they were looking for.
Questions were rather broadly dealing with databases and the way data is handled, also LINQ and Generics concepts were touched. Personality and in general questions about the candidate interests were also given and I had a feeling these are more important than technical ones.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the question about ACID implementation in C#. Also was given a problem described as pretty typical for that company and asked how to deal with that model. The overall problem was about gathering feeds and transforming them into a data via ETL engine to multiple databases.   View Answer
  • LINQ - pros and cons?   View Answer

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Morningstar in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, and got email to set up a phone interview, I thought it was a HR, but it was hire manager, we talked very well, he asked some of my working experience, and then got on-site interview, 3 parts, one was c++ with MFC very old technology, since they have some old products, and then c# .net with SQL, a lot of basic tech questions, I complitely answer all of them, since I am very strong on this area, it seems the manager made a decison to offer me. but after 1 week, I got feedback, the co. prepare to move their products to Java, so they choose a person with java background.

Interview Question – 50+ .Net and sql questions   Answer Question

Mumbai (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Morningstar in June 2011.

Interview Details – 1st round - Telephonic
2nd round - Technical/Skill round
3rd round - Panel interview/Managerial
4th - HR round

Interview Question – Questions on .Net   Answer Question

Worked for Morningstar? Contribute to the Community!