Mothercare Interview Questions

Updated Feb 11, 2015

1.8

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mothercare.

Interview

I was relieved as it was a 1-1 interview - some people prefer group but they make me extra nervous! I has a really positive experience. Interviewer was really friendly and genuinely interested in me. I was made really welcome and offered tea and coffee. It lasted about 45 mins - an hour.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the usual questions such as why I was interested in the role etc.   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Interview

Applying online was easy, and the application form made me smile. A few days later I recruited an email from HR asking me for an interview. After some going back and forth with dates we organised a mutually convenient date and time. I was to be interviewed by 3 people, names of which had been outlined in the interview confirmation email. When I reached there, one (of the 3) of the hiring managers wasn't there and I met with someone else instead (not sure how much he knew about the job). Also, once of the other hiring managers had to leave half way during the interview, which was a bit annoying since it was planned days ahead and is a bit disrespectful and disorganized.

I found the interview quite straight forward and easy, it was a new role so not sure if any of the interviewers really knew the technical questions to ask. Also it required skills and experience that weren't outlined in the role which I applied for.

Having said that, I found the 3 guys who I did meet rather nice, honest and upfront. And I could imagine myself working there.

I did not get the job and was told that another candidate had skills more relevant to the time than mine which is fair enough. I did appreciate receiving an email with feedback, most other companies are just plain rude and don't bother. I did wish they knew a bit more of what they really wanted from the candidates and the role, but I'll put it down to life's experience ��

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a test/ decision gone wrong and what did you do with it.   Answer Question

Customer Adviser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Romford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Mothercare (Romford, England (UK)).

Interview

Group interview of at least 20 people all in the same room. Had to do a ice breaker then answer a question privately on a piece of paper, then answer the best answer as a group and then we had to stand up and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Interview Questions

• A customer is looking for a present and needs help looking for one. What is the best possible way to find the right product for them?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about yourself or what do you like to do and how should that benifit this company   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Watford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mothercare (North Watford, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

Informal chat/ Competency based questions. First interview was with HR and line manager which went well. Second stage was with kline manager and International director where i had to do presentation. feed back was i done well. But they took too long to make their decision

Interview Questions

They messed me around too much

Anon Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mothercare (Watford, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Went through a 2 stage interview, HR were involved in one of them. General questions about my experience and why I wanted to work there. Had to also do a SWOT analysis.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was too hard - a couple of competency based questions that made me think a bit!   Answer Question

Negotiation

Spoke to the Recruitment team about the offer and all went smoothly. My contract came within a couple of days.

Supervisor and Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mothercare (London, England (UK)).

Interview

A short phone interview- the recruitment team are all from bad unis and have stumbled into recruitment, so they are easy to get past.

The phone interview is average- why do you want to work for us? what do you know about Mothercare? why did you leave your last job?

The second stage is a group assessment. It's not particularly thorough. Several would be Assistant Manager's for example frequently spoke over other candidates during the group discussion and didn't say 'please' or 'thank you'

There is a group discussion (just try to say things like 'come on guys let work together' and try to include quite people by saying things like 'we haven't heard from Julie, let's see what she has to say')

Then a selling exercise- it's Mothercare, so they don't actually know how to recognise customer service (:P!) just be smiley, friendly and ask questions about what the 'customer' wants.

Then a coaching exercise about a member of staff who keeps turning up late. Just say something positive then say they need to come in on time etc etc

The Harpeet lady is very rude- she referred to the Sales Assistant as 'just Sales Assistants' and she also used a lot of bad grammar in her presentation, especially in regard to plurals!

Basically, don't worry, they recruiters aren't too bright, just be friendly and talk about the celebrity ranges etc

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Unfortunately, I took the job. There is NO negotiation for salary and no speak of bonus'.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mothercare (Preston, North West England, England (UK)) in October 2009.

Interview

Before starting was asked to write down hours and days available. Group interview then took place which involved introducing the person next to you to the group, being given a shape puzzle to memorise and for the group to work together to place the shapes into the correct positions (tip: take a photo with your phone, it wasn't against the rules) , finally the group was asked to stage a tv ad for the interviewers describing a product.
    All interviewees were assured that they would be told of the outcome of the interview either succesful or not after 14 days. Needless to say two months has passed and I still haven't heard.