Motley Fool Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA

Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.1

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

They emailed a few days after applying to say that I've made it to the next step which is to write an article on my favorite stock. That same day after sending in my article, they set up a phone interview for later that week. The phone interview only lasted several minutes and it was basic questions as well as asking what another favorite stock is.

Interview Questions

• What is another favorite stock of yours and why?   1 Answer

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Over the phone interview and then a very in-depth interview at Fool HQ with at least 8 different people, which lasted about 3-4 hours total. Although everyone was very nice it was pretty tiring -- you should definitely go in with much preparation, tons of questions, and know a lot about the company and their business. Don't just go in and hope to get a job because they have a good culture.

Analyst Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

First interview was with the program head.
    Second interview was a series of six back to back. Make sure you know financial formulas and have a clear explanation for your investing style

Analyst Development Program Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process took two months. There was a telephonic round with the program head. Then they would call you for a face to face interview. There were 6 rounds back to back. Very thorough and adept process. They emphasize a lot on your investment style and your personality. Few financial ratios were asked. The best strategy is to be yourself during the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you differentiate yourself from other value investors?   Answer Question

Writer - Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

The HR recruiter got back to me quickly and asked for a writing sample. After I submitted the sample, we spoke on the phone and I was called in to HQ for a 1 on 1 and panel interview. The interview with the panel was a bit intimidating but all the people turned out to be very friendly and helpful. I got the job and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was probably when they asked me to talk about specific companies I believed were undervalued or overvalued. After I rattled off P/E ratios and EV/EBITDA multiples, they asked for more information and I had to come up with something on the spot   Answer Question

Sector Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

It took a while for them to get to my application. Once they did, the process from initial screening interview to in-person, on-site interview was very quick. Motley Fool paid all expenses for the trip to their headquarters for the in-person interview. Everybody I interacted with was very nice. The only bad aspect of the hiring process was that HR told me they would get back to me with a decision in about a week. It took a month and many phone calls on my part (none of which were answered) before I finally got a form e-mail saying they weren't interested at that time and instead encouraged me to join their blog network.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take one recent financial news story and come up with as many angles as possible to write articles about it.   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in April 2010.

Interview

This is going back to 2004--the Glassdoor pulldown menu won't let me choose anything earlier than 2010--but what the hey. I was must reminded of it and realized it could help others if I share my experience.

Long story short, they invited me to come in to take a test and meet the managing editor. When I arrived, the admin guy told me that these constituted a "meet and greet," rather than a job interview. I was surprised and very irritated by this revelation; I'd taken the entire day off work!

It all worked out, though; I progressed through my career and am doing very well now.

So why is this relevant 10 years later? It says something about the level of organization and common sense the company is managed with.

In retrospect, I'm not sure how viable the Motley Fool business model is. Most investors (successful ones, anyway) just put it all in index funds with low expense ratios until they get close to retirement. Or they invest directly in industries they know well. So how many subscribers does Fool get? I seldom hear about the company and have this vague sense it's a relic of the late '90s.

Also, their ostensibly unlimited vacation days are to be regarded with suspicion; if it's up to the employee how much leave to take, that means the employee is entitled to no days.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight, consisted of a initial HR interview and then couple of in person interviews by a panel of people from different teams.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There's room for negotiation

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview for this job took an excrutiating amount of time (3 months) and consisted of email requests for multiple writing samples. The request for writing samples is not uncommon but when examples already exist on the Web, why disregard a candidate's professional background by asking for more samples and then asking for them to be done for FREE?

I don't quite understand companies that can't take the time to at least talk to a potential candidate over the phone. I also know that if the economy weren't so bad, no one would even consider providing free work let alone ask for it.

Investing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in June 2013.

Interview

Quick 30 minute interview questions about your interest in investing and finance is tested

Interview Questions

• 1. Talk about a stock that you are looking at (there will be push back)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.