Motley Fool Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA

3.2

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Motley Fool.

They emailed a few days after applying to say that I've made it to the next step which is to write an article on my favorite stock. That same day after sending in my article, they set up a phone interview for later that week. The phone interview only lasted several minutes and it was basic questions as well as asking what another favorite stock is.

Interview Questions
    • What is another favorite stock of yours and why?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Motley Fool in December 2009.

The Hiring process starts out with a phone screen by the recruiter (non-technical), and then it moves to a phone screen with the hiring manager (technical), and then an online quiz (that's not easily 'googable -- it makes sure you know what you're talking about). If you do well on that, you're invited in for a Full Day interview (make sure to ask where validated parking is -- it's not easy to find). The Full day interview usually includes an in person coding 'test', a technical interview with 2 or more developers, and an interpersonal interview with 2 or more developers. Lunch is not included, so eat before going.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was not knowing how well I did.   Answer Question
    There's not much to negotiate. They don't negotiate on salary; there's unlimited vacation already, and you get great perks.

Analyst Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in May 2014.

First interview was with the program head.
    Second interview was a series of six back to back. Make sure you know financial formulas and have a clear explanation for your investing style

Analyst Development Program Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in May 2014.

The interview process took two months. There was a telephonic round with the program head. Then they would call you for a face to face interview. There were 6 rounds back to back. Very thorough and adept process. They emphasize a lot on your investment style and your personality. Few financial ratios were asked. The best strategy is to be yourself during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you differentiate yourself from other value investors?   Answer Question

Writer - Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Motley Fool in February 2012.

The HR recruiter got back to me quickly and asked for a writing sample. After I submitted the sample, we spoke on the phone and I was called in to HQ for a 1 on 1 and panel interview. The interview with the panel was a bit intimidating but all the people turned out to be very friendly and helpful. I got the job and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was probably when they asked me to talk about specific companies I believed were undervalued or overvalued. After I rattled off P/E ratios and EV/EBITDA multiples, they asked for more information and I had to come up with something on the spot   Answer Question

Sector Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Motley Fool.

It took a while for them to get to my application. Once they did, the process from initial screening interview to in-person, on-site interview was very quick. Motley Fool paid all expenses for the trip to their headquarters for the in-person interview. Everybody I interacted with was very nice. The only bad aspect of the hiring process was that HR told me they would get back to me with a decision in about a week. It took a month and many phone calls on my part (none of which were answered) before I finally got a form e-mail saying they weren't interested at that time and instead encouraged me to join their blog network.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to take one recent financial news story and come up with as many angles as possible to write articles about it.   Answer Question

Investing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in June 2013.

Quick 30 minute interview questions about your interest in investing and finance is tested

Interview Questions
    • 1. Talk about a stock that you are looking at (there will be push back)   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Office Dynamo Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Motley Fool in September 2013.

I filled out the application online and received an email to set up a phone interview. Interviewers were friendly and made the conversation easy. I then received an email to come in for an in person interview. At the office, the interview was very intense. I interviewed with people in groups of 2 every half hour. Similar questions were sometimes asked and I would forget if I had already told this group of people something and didn't want to look dumb repeating myself.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really too difficult. Maybe, What is your guilty pleasure? Cause I couldn't come up with something good on the spot.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in January 2011.

The interview process was pretty straight, consisted of a initial HR interview and then couple of in person interviews by a panel of people from different teams.

There's room for negotiation

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in August 2011.

The interview for this job took an excrutiating amount of time (3 months) and consisted of email requests for multiple writing samples. The request for writing samples is not uncommon but when examples already exist on the Web, why disregard a candidate's professional background by asking for more samples and then asking for them to be done for FREE?

I don't quite understand companies that can't take the time to at least talk to a potential candidate over the phone. I also know that if the economy weren't so bad, no one would even consider providing free work let alone ask for it.

Interview Questions

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!