Motley Fool

Very Difficult Interview

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Financial Editor/Analyst
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interview Details – They emailed a few days after applying to say that I've made it to the next step which is to write an article on my favorite stock. That same day after sending in my article, they set up a phone interview for later that week. The phone interview only lasted several minutes and it was basic questions as well as asking what another favorite stock is.

Interview Question – What is another favorite stock of yours and why?   View Answer

Analyst Development Program Interview

Analyst Development Program
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in May 2014.

Interview Details – First interview was with the program head.
Second interview was a series of six back to back. Make sure you know financial formulas and have a clear explanation for your investing style

Interview Question – What will your immediate contribution be?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Motley Fool in December 2009.

Interview Details – The Hiring process starts out with a phone screen by the recruiter (non-technical), and then it moves to a phone screen with the hiring manager (technical), and then an online quiz (that's not easily 'googable -- it makes sure you know what you're talking about). If you do well on that, you're invited in for a Full Day interview (make sure to ask where validated parking is -- it's not easy to find). The Full day interview usually includes an in person coding 'test', a technical interview with 2 or more developers, and an interpersonal interview with 2 or more developers. Lunch is not included, so eat before going.

Interview Question – The most difficult part was not knowing how well I did.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's not much to negotiate. They don't negotiate on salary; there's unlimited vacation already, and you get great perks.

Analyst Development Program Interview Interview

Analyst Development Program Interview
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in May 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process took two months. There was a telephonic round with the program head. Then they would call you for a face to face interview. There were 6 rounds back to back. Very thorough and adept process. They emphasize a lot on your investment style and your personality. Few financial ratios were asked. The best strategy is to be yourself during the interview.

Interview Question – How do you differentiate yourself from other value investors?   Answer Question

IT Interview

IT
Alexandria, VA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in January 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straight, consisted of a initial HR interview and then couple of in person interviews by a panel of people from different teams.

Interview Question – What do you do when you aren't at work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's room for negotiation

Copywriter Interview

Copywriter
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview for this job took an excrutiating amount of time (3 months) and consisted of email requests for multiple writing samples. The request for writing samples is not uncommon but when examples already exist on the Web, why disregard a candidate's professional background by asking for more samples and then asking for them to be done for FREE?

I don't quite understand companies that can't take the time to at least talk to a potential candidate over the phone. I also know that if the economy weren't so bad, no one would even consider providing free work let alone ask for it.

Interview Question – There were none.   View Answer

Office Dynamo Interview

Office Dynamo
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Motley Fool in September 2013.

Interview Details – I filled out the application online and received an email to set up a phone interview. Interviewers were friendly and made the conversation easy. I then received an email to come in for an in person interview. At the office, the interview was very intense. I interviewed with people in groups of 2 every half hour. Similar questions were sometimes asked and I would forget if I had already told this group of people something and didn't want to look dumb repeating myself.

Interview Question – Nothing was really too difficult. Maybe, What is your guilty pleasure? Cause I couldn't come up with something good on the spot.   Answer Question

Investing Intern Interview

Investing Intern
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Motley Fool in June 2013.

Interview Details – Quick 30 minute interview questions about your interest in investing and finance is tested

Interview Question – 1. Talk about a stock that you are looking at (there will be push back)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Office Dynamo Aka Office Manager Interview

Office Dynamo Aka Office Manager
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Motley Fool in November 2011.

Interview Details – I received an email response to an online application requesting an initial phone interview that would last no longer than 15 minutes. The interviewer called on time, discussed the company structure and the job hours and salary of the position. The discussion was short and the interview felt ill-prepared and a little too informal.

Interview Questions

• For this position, we are looking at a salary of $XX. Is this in line with what you are looking for?   Answer Question
  • Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Alexandria, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Motley Fool in February 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a friendly HR rep via a phone call who discussed the position as well as reviewed my resume. The HR rep then arranged a phone interview with 3 coworkers. The phone interview was about 30 minutes with 3 people who pretty much asked what I do currently. I was then called back for an in person interview as I was to be interviewed by at least 7 coworkers who met with me in 3 small groups. The staff was friendly. One problem with this multiple group interview format was that I was asked to talk about my resume 3 different times, which got a bit repetitive. I would have expected the staff members to review my resume beforehand as they all had a copy with them. Various staff members seemed to question why I have a MBA, but work in a technical area of IT. Being that Motley Fool's IT shop is definitely a lot smaller than the IT departments at my current or previous employers, some interviewees seemed to be shocked that larger IT shops have separate teams that perform various specific functions, such as a team for networking, a team for Exchange, a team for servers, etc. I was asked the basic book questions such as what is RAID, NAS, SAN, etc. Book smarts were tested, but skills were never tested.

Interview Question – Why are you looking for a job when you seem to have a great job at a large Fortune 500 company?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary was a lot less than other IT related jobs in the DC/VA/MD area. Another review mentioned that moving around in the company seems to be an issue and based on my interview that does seem to be true. More so since it is a small IT shop. Cross training exists, but moves are more lateral rather moving up.

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!