Motley Fool Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA

Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Sent in resume with cover letter. We were encouraged to be as "foolish" with it as we could to make ourselves stand out. If you were selected, you had one week to write an application that showed weather forecasts. That was really the entirety of the requirements. I thought this was genius. No limits or restrictions, just "show the weather". Do you focus on strong basics and fundamentals, or do you push the envelope? Do you use the tools they use, or what you are strong in? If you were selected, you were brought into the office for what they called "speed-dating interviews": 2 interviewers at a time for about 20 minutes then the interviewers rotated and you had 2 fresh ones. Again, I thought this was genius. The interviewer really had to focus on the questions important to them and not fluff questions like "tell me about yourself" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years". If you were selected, an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Pair of interviewers dragged around a whiteboard to each table, asking the interviewee to draw an implementation of tic-tac-toe and asked questions as you went. Operations pair asked about the pluses and minuses of using AWS.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Tough but if you stick to your guns, and you're worth it, you can persevere. Lots of advice on salary negotiation out there. Patrick Mckenzie has some awesome stuff. Google it.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

Was contacted by a friendly HR rep via a phone call who discussed the position as well as reviewed my resume. The HR rep then arranged a phone interview with 3 coworkers. The phone interview was about 30 minutes with 3 people who pretty much asked what I do currently. I was then called back for an in person interview as I was to be interviewed by at least 7 coworkers who met with me in 3 small groups. The staff was friendly. One problem with this multiple group interview format was that I was asked to talk about my resume 3 different times, which got a bit repetitive. I would have expected the staff members to review my resume beforehand as they all had a copy with them. Various staff members seemed to question why I have a MBA, but work in a technical area of IT. Being that Motley Fool's IT shop is definitely a lot smaller than the IT departments at my current or previous employers, some interviewees seemed to be shocked that larger IT shops have separate teams that perform various specific functions, such as a team for networking, a team for Exchange, a team for servers, etc. I was asked the basic book questions such as what is RAID, NAS, SAN, etc. Book smarts were tested, but skills were never tested.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking for a job when you seem to have a great job at a large Fortune 500 company?   1 Answer

Salary was a lot less than other IT related jobs in the DC/VA/MD area. Another review mentioned that moving around in the company seems to be an issue and based on my interview that does seem to be true. More so since it is a small IT shop. Cross training exists, but moves are more lateral rather moving up.

Office Dynamo Aka Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

I received an email response to an online application requesting an initial phone interview that would last no longer than 15 minutes. The interviewer called on time, discussed the company structure and the job hours and salary of the position. The discussion was short and the interview felt ill-prepared and a little too informal.

Interview Questions

• For this position, we are looking at a salary of $XX. Is this in line with what you are looking for?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight, consisted of a initial HR interview and then couple of in person interviews by a panel of people from different teams.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There's room for negotiation

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview for this job took an excrutiating amount of time (3 months) and consisted of email requests for multiple writing samples. The request for writing samples is not uncommon but when examples already exist on the Web, why disregard a candidate's professional background by asking for more samples and then asking for them to be done for FREE? I don't quite understand companies that can't take the time to at least talk to a potential candidate over the phone. I also know that if the economy weren't so bad, no one would even consider providing free work let alone ask for it.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online in September 2014. I got an e-mail 3 days later asking to set up a phone screen. I had an initial half-hour call with the two recruiters, reviewing my background and interest in the position. After a three week period, I finally heard back from the recruiters, inviting me for an in-person interview. I met the two recruiters at the HQ in Alexandria a week later. After another two week stretch, I was invited for a third round to meet with some hiring managers in the company. It was a panel interview, consisting of 7 members of their hiring team, split into 30-minute sections. After that interview, I waited another two weeks until I heard that I didn't get the job. The entire process took about 2.5 months The recruiters were very up-front with me that the process would take a while (typically, they invite candidates back for several rounds of interviews and it can take several months). All of the people I met with were pleasant, intelligent, and seemed to love their jobs and the company. It seems like an excellent place to work. There were a few negative aspects to the process that I think could be improved. The recruiters always gave me a date by which they would call/e-mail me with any updates, and never met that deadline. All feedback/scheduling communication was done by e-mail, so it was hard to get in touch for updates. At the end of the process, when I finally heard back that I didn't receive the job, I received a standard rejection via e-mail. This was after three rounds of interviews (two were in-person), and I would have appreciated a call informing me of the rejection.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to pretend that I was the interviewer, and I had to interview the recruiters as if they were applicants for the position.   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in April 2010.

Interview

This is going back to 2004--the Glassdoor pulldown menu won't let me choose anything earlier than 2010--but what the hey. I was must reminded of it and realized it could help others if I share my experience. Long story short, they invited me to come in to take a test and meet the managing editor. When I arrived, the admin guy told me that these constituted a "meet and greet," rather than a job interview. I was surprised and very irritated by this revelation; I'd taken the entire day off work! It all worked out, though; I progressed through my career and am doing very well now. So why is this relevant 10 years later? It says something about the level of organization and common sense the company is managed with. In retrospect, I'm not sure how viable the Motley Fool business model is. Most investors (successful ones, anyway) just put it all in index funds with low expense ratios until they get close to retirement. Or they invest directly in industries they know well. So how many subscribers does Fool get? I seldom hear about the company and have this vague sense it's a relic of the late '90s. Also, their ostensibly unlimited vacation days are to be regarded with suspicion; if it's up to the employee how much leave to take, that means the employee is entitled to no days.

Sector Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

It took a while for them to get to my application. Once they did, the process from initial screening interview to in-person, on-site interview was very quick. Motley Fool paid all expenses for the trip to their headquarters for the in-person interview. Everybody I interacted with was very nice. The only bad aspect of the hiring process was that HR told me they would get back to me with a decision in about a week. It took a month and many phone calls on my part (none of which were answered) before I finally got a form e-mail saying they weren't interested at that time and instead encouraged me to join their blog network.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take one recent financial news story and come up with as many angles as possible to write articles about it.   Answer Question

Office Dynamo Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I filled out the application online and received an email to set up a phone interview. Interviewers were friendly and made the conversation easy. I then received an email to come in for an in person interview. At the office, the interview was very intense. I interviewed with people in groups of 2 every half hour. Similar questions were sometimes asked and I would forget if I had already told this group of people something and didn't want to look dumb repeating myself.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was really too difficult. Maybe, What is your guilty pleasure? Cause I couldn't come up with something good on the spot.   Answer Question

Writer - Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

The HR recruiter got back to me quickly and asked for a writing sample. After I submitted the sample, we spoke on the phone and I was called in to HQ for a 1 on 1 and panel interview. The interview with the panel was a bit intimidating but all the people turned out to be very friendly and helpful. I got the job and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was probably when they asked me to talk about specific companies I believed were undervalued or overvalued. After I rattled off P/E ratios and EV/EBITDA multiples, they asked for more information and I had to come up with something on the spot   Answer Question