Motley Fool Interview Questions in Alexandria, VA

Updated Mar 31, 2015

3.1

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Over the phone interview and then a very in-depth interview at Fool HQ with at least 8 different people, which lasted about 3-4 hours total. Although everyone was very nice it was pretty tiring -- you should definitely go in with much preparation, tons of questions, and know a lot about the company and their business. Don't just go in and hope to get a job because they have a good culture.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online in September 2014. I got an e-mail 3 days later asking to set up a phone screen. I had an initial half-hour call with the two recruiters, reviewing my background and interest in the position. After a three week period, I finally heard back from the recruiters, inviting me for an in-person interview. I met the two recruiters at the HQ in Alexandria a week later. After another two week stretch, I was invited for a third round to meet with some hiring managers in the company. It was a panel interview, consisting of 7 members of their hiring team, split into 30-minute sections. After that interview, I waited another two weeks until I heard that I didn't get the job. The entire process took about 2.5 months The recruiters were very up-front with me that the process would take a while (typically, they invite candidates back for several rounds of interviews and it can take several months). All of the people I met with were pleasant, intelligent, and seemed to love their jobs and the company. It seems like an excellent place to work. There were a few negative aspects to the process that I think could be improved. The recruiters always gave me a date by which they would call/e-mail me with any updates, and never met that deadline. All feedback/scheduling communication was done by e-mail, so it was hard to get in touch for updates. At the end of the process, when I finally heard back that I didn't receive the job, I received a standard rejection via e-mail. This was after three rounds of interviews (two were in-person), and I would have appreciated a call informing me of the rejection.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to pretend that I was the interviewer, and I had to interview the recruiters as if they were applicants for the position.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Sent in resume with cover letter. We were encouraged to be as "foolish" with it as we could to make ourselves stand out. If you were selected, you had one week to write an application that showed weather forecasts. That was really the entirety of the requirements. I thought this was genius. No limits or restrictions, just "show the weather". Do you focus on strong basics and fundamentals, or do you push the envelope? Do you use the tools they use, or what you are strong in? If you were selected, you were brought into the office for what they called "speed-dating interviews": 2 interviewers at a time for about 20 minutes then the interviewers rotated and you had 2 fresh ones. Again, I thought this was genius. The interviewer really had to focus on the questions important to them and not fluff questions like "tell me about yourself" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years". If you were selected, an offer was made.

Interview Questions

• Pair of interviewers dragged around a whiteboard to each table, asking the interviewee to draw an implementation of tic-tac-toe and asked questions as you went. Operations pair asked about the pluses and minuses of using AWS.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Tough but if you stick to your guns, and you're worth it, you can persevere. Lots of advice on salary negotiation out there. Patrick Mckenzie has some awesome stuff. Google it.

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in April 2010.

Interview

This is going back to 2004--the Glassdoor pulldown menu won't let me choose anything earlier than 2010--but what the hey. I was must reminded of it and realized it could help others if I share my experience. Long story short, they invited me to come in to take a test and meet the managing editor. When I arrived, the admin guy told me that these constituted a "meet and greet," rather than a job interview. I was surprised and very irritated by this revelation; I'd taken the entire day off work! It all worked out, though; I progressed through my career and am doing very well now. So why is this relevant 10 years later? It says something about the level of organization and common sense the company is managed with. In retrospect, I'm not sure how viable the Motley Fool business model is. Most investors (successful ones, anyway) just put it all in index funds with low expense ratios until they get close to retirement. Or they invest directly in industries they know well. So how many subscribers does Fool get? I seldom hear about the company and have this vague sense it's a relic of the late '90s. Also, their ostensibly unlimited vacation days are to be regarded with suspicion; if it's up to the employee how much leave to take, that means the employee is entitled to no days.

Sector Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

It took a while for them to get to my application. Once they did, the process from initial screening interview to in-person, on-site interview was very quick. Motley Fool paid all expenses for the trip to their headquarters for the in-person interview. Everybody I interacted with was very nice. The only bad aspect of the hiring process was that HR told me they would get back to me with a decision in about a week. It took a month and many phone calls on my part (none of which were answered) before I finally got a form e-mail saying they weren't interested at that time and instead encouraged me to join their blog network.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take one recent financial news story and come up with as many angles as possible to write articles about it.   Answer Question

Writer - Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in February 2012.

Interview

The HR recruiter got back to me quickly and asked for a writing sample. After I submitted the sample, we spoke on the phone and I was called in to HQ for a 1 on 1 and panel interview. The interview with the panel was a bit intimidating but all the people turned out to be very friendly and helpful. I got the job and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question was probably when they asked me to talk about specific companies I believed were undervalued or overvalued. After I rattled off P/E ratios and EV/EBITDA multiples, they asked for more information and I had to come up with something on the spot   Answer Question

Analyst Development Program Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process took two months. There was a telephonic round with the program head. Then they would call you for a face to face interview. There were 6 rounds back to back. Very thorough and adept process. They emphasize a lot on your investment style and your personality. Few financial ratios were asked. The best strategy is to be yourself during the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you differentiate yourself from other value investors?   Answer Question

Analyst Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

First interview was with the program head. Second interview was a series of six back to back. Make sure you know financial formulas and have a clear explanation for your investing style

Office Dynamo Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I filled out the application online and received an email to set up a phone interview. Interviewers were friendly and made the conversation easy. I then received an email to come in for an in person interview. At the office, the interview was very intense. I interviewed with people in groups of 2 every half hour. Similar questions were sometimes asked and I would forget if I had already told this group of people something and didn't want to look dumb repeating myself.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was really too difficult. Maybe, What is your guilty pleasure? Cause I couldn't come up with something good on the spot.   Answer Question

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Motley Fool (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

They emailed a few days after applying to say that I've made it to the next step which is to write an article on my favorite stock. That same day after sending in my article, they set up a phone interview for later that week. The phone interview only lasted several minutes and it was basic questions as well as asking what another favorite stock is.

Interview Questions

• What is another favorite stock of yours and why?   1 Answer