Motley Fool Engineer Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alexandria, VA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Motley Fool in February 2012.

Was contacted by a friendly HR rep via a phone call who discussed the position as well as reviewed my resume. The HR rep then arranged a phone interview with 3 coworkers. The phone interview was about 30 minutes with 3 people who pretty much asked what I do currently. I was then called back for an in person interview as I was to be interviewed by at least 7 coworkers who met with me in 3 small groups. The staff was friendly. One problem with this multiple group interview format was that I was asked to talk about my resume 3 different times, which got a bit repetitive. I would have expected the staff members to review my resume beforehand as they all had a copy with them. Various staff members seemed to question why I have a MBA, but work in a technical area of IT. Being that Motley Fool's IT shop is definitely a lot smaller than the IT departments at my current or previous employers, some interviewees seemed to be shocked that larger IT shops have separate teams that perform various specific functions, such as a team for networking, a team for Exchange, a team for servers, etc. I was asked the basic book questions such as what is RAID, NAS, SAN, etc. Book smarts were tested, but skills were never tested.

Interview Questions
  • Why are you looking for a job when you seem to have a great job at a large Fortune 500 company?   View Answer

Salary was a lot less than other IT related jobs in the DC/VA/MD area. Another review mentioned that moving around in the company seems to be an issue and based on my interview that does seem to be true. More so since it is a small IT shop. Cross training exists, but moves are more lateral rather moving up.

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!