Motley Fool

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.9

Current Employee Interview

interview is panel. Usually, a member from certain departments will come down as a group on individuals. It's best to know the company before hand and to also know what you want. Confidence goes a long way as well as experience.

Financial Editor/Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Motley Fool.

Asked to submit a writing sample on one of 10 companies after submitting an application online. While I didn't get any further in the interview process, I applaud HR for their promptness and sending clever email messages throughout the process (i.e. after getting dinged "we are well aware that you could have easily spent that time learning how to ride a unicycle or perfect your aerial trapeze routine.") Still a very cool company that I would love to work for if I get a chance in the future.

NOVA Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Motley Fool in October 2014.

I received a response within two weeks asking what date and times were good for a phone interview. They scheduled and called at the right time. Most questions revolved heavily around finance and trading, which makes sense considering their field of work.

It lasted about a half hour asking me to speak to my interest and skills in that field. They said they would let me know one way or the other in a week's time if I would be moving on in the process. They emailed one week on and I did not advance, but it was a pleasant experience.

Desktop Systems Administrative (IT Support) Interview

Pretty disappointed with their interview process. The Motley Fool is always highly rated as one of the best places to work, but it is obvious their Recruiting/Hiring process has flaws. Applied online for the job (my skill set matched what they were looking for almost perfectly). I realized I had a friend who knew someone high up at the company and asked them if they could pass my name over to a recruiter (to help get my foot in the door).

A few days later I get an email from the recruiter, she wants to setup a phone call with me, we scheduled it for the next week, but it turns out she wasn't going to be available so she passed me off to her co-worker. Spent about 30 minutes speaking the the other recruiter, and at the end of the conversation she said, "most of the managers are on vacation but I will let you know when I hear something, if you have any questions email me."

The day after the interview I sent her and the first recruiter a thank you email. About 2 weeks later I sent a follow up email checking up and I didn’t receive any response and then 2 weeks after that I sent another follow up email and also got no response.

A few days later (now 1 month) I received an email stating they wanted to look at other folks who more closely match what they were looking for, yet the email also mentioned they were impressed with my credentials, so I am not sure what kept me from even interviewing with the IT Department.

I did send an email to their HR department letting them know how disappointed I was with the interview process and did get a response back apologizing and stating it is something they need to work on (so I do give them kudos for that).

IT Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Motley Fool.

Interviewed by a panel. Mostly they wanted to make sure of a good fit. They didn't waste too much time on technical questions and had respect for my years of experience. They tend to be interested in what you do that's interesting outside of work.

Interview Questions
    • What books do you like to read. That blows the minds of some technical people who think that the right answer is, 'I read technical manuals.' Other than that, they seemed focused on questions relate to whatever their current problem is.   Answer Question
    I found out shortly after taking the job that my salary was really on the low side for the market. Negotiation got me another 1 or 2 percent. Over the years I realized I could do better and when I left, I got a substantial bump in pay at my new company.

Sector Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool.

It took a while for them to get to my application. Once they did, the process from initial screening interview to in-person, on-site interview was very quick. Motley Fool paid all expenses for the trip to their headquarters for the in-person interview. Everybody I interacted with was very nice. The only bad aspect of the hiring process was that HR told me they would get back to me with a decision in about a week. It took a month and many phone calls on my part (none of which were answered) before I finally got a form e-mail saying they weren't interested at that time and instead encouraged me to join their blog network.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to take one recent financial news story and come up with as many angles as possible to write articles about it.   Answer Question

Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool.

Took much too long and the feedback was not the best. I found myself getting frustrated with the process and it took much too long for my liking. I had the skills the experience, but they are looking for a particular fit.

Interview Questions
    • Second question was regarding the salary, which I found surprising.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool in September 2014.

I applied online in September 2014. I got an e-mail 3 days later asking to set up a phone screen. I had an initial half-hour call with the two recruiters, reviewing my background and interest in the position. After a three week period, I finally heard back from the recruiters, inviting me for an in-person interview. I met the two recruiters at the HQ in Alexandria a week later. After another two week stretch, I was invited for a third round to meet with some hiring managers in the company. It was a panel interview, consisting of 7 members of their hiring team, split into 30-minute sections. After that interview, I waited another two weeks until I heard that I didn't get the job. The entire process took about 2.5 months

The recruiters were very up-front with me that the process would take a while (typically, they invite candidates back for several rounds of interviews and it can take several months). All of the people I met with were pleasant, intelligent, and seemed to love their jobs and the company. It seems like an excellent place to work.

There were a few negative aspects to the process that I think could be improved. The recruiters always gave me a date by which they would call/e-mail me with any updates, and never met that deadline. All feedback/scheduling communication was done by e-mail, so it was hard to get in touch for updates. At the end of the process, when I finally heard back that I didn't receive the job, I received a standard rejection via e-mail. This was after three rounds of interviews (two were in-person), and I would have appreciated a call informing me of the rejection.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to pretend that I was the interviewer, and I had to interview the recruiters as if they were applicants for the position.   Answer Question

Analyst Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool in May 2014.

First interview was with the program head.
    Second interview was a series of six back to back. Make sure you know financial formulas and have a clear explanation for your investing style

Analyst Development Program Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Motley Fool in May 2014.

The interview process took two months. There was a telephonic round with the program head. Then they would call you for a face to face interview. There were 6 rounds back to back. Very thorough and adept process. They emphasize a lot on your investment style and your personality. Few financial ratios were asked. The best strategy is to be yourself during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you differentiate yourself from other value investors?   Answer Question