Motorola Mobility Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.8

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in May 2010.

Interview

Interviewed in May for a Baseband DSP Engineer position. They were looking for more experience in the fields of digital synthesis hence no offer. The hiring manager was somehow supremely busy on the day I got there and even though he was scheduled to talk with me early in the morning, we got a chance to do that only in the afternoon by which time my taxi had left and he got annoyed because of that.

Interview Questions

• I was given two constellation diagrams and was asked how I would decide the decision boundaries for minimizing mean squared error on each and then to maximize the confidence in only one of the estimation.   2 Answers

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in May 2008.

Interview

Some can be much harder than others. Mine was brutal. Ive known other ones for the same job to be much much easier. Job comes with certain prerequisites: 1. Be a talker ( and more importantly a good listener) 2. People person ( you need to be able to carry a conversation with ANYONE and make them like you) 3. Ability to present to the government CTO 4. Drive to close

Interview Questions

• Hard thing to do was present to an audience on an unfamiliar topic. Although i was given a week to prepare, I was still presenting to an audience that were very familiar if not experts on the topic   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasnt able to negotiate. Set a number mentally and dont settle for less...NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in November 2009.

Interview

Please be as detailed as possible - everything from your initial communications with the company, organization and planning of the interview, number and type of interviews, and any advice you might offer to other interview candidates. Bonus points for your perceptions of the people, office, and work culture.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in January 2014.

Interview

Initial Contact was through an application at a combined Google/Motorola Mobility Session in October 2013. Follow-up was by email. First interview was a telephone interview answering a coding question typing into a shared Google document. Follow-up was three in-person interviews, extremely similar to the Google hiring process. I was interviewed by Google employees. White board coding, Data Structures, stacks, queues and trees were required. Follow-up was with-in one week and they decided not to proceed further.

Interview Questions

• Path finding problem involving coffee makers. Shortest distance from a place on a two dimensional grid.   1 Answer

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility (Plantation, FL) in November 2010.

Interview

The hiring process probably took around a month after the first interview. It was really to the point, I had experience already as a test Engineer and the questions were based in different situations in the SDLC. I have been doing quality assurance and there were several questions regarding actual situations that I had in my job experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had already experience in the field and I give a couple of calls to follow up. My best advice is the follow up after the interview.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

They asked some pretty hard technical question drilling you on what you know about pcb and how to analyze software problems with phones. It was somewhat hard but I overall learned something new on how their interview process went, although I was wondering why they never responded back to me about their decision... something so rude.

Interview Questions

• how to convert a voltage source to work with a lower voltage sensor   1 Answer

Senior Director Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Libertyville, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility (Libertyville, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

Brought in through a retained search firm, who did an excellent job preparing me for the interviews. Following several calls with recruiter, had 1-hour conversation with in-house talent acquisition manager, then 1 hour with executive to whom I'd directly report. In-person interviews took 6 hours and included the chief operating officer of the company, 2 VP-level peers (reported to same executive), the HR manager for the department and finally, the executive to whom I'd report directly.

Interview Questions

• None of the interviewers were particularly challenging. The HR interview was behavioral.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The package was extremely competitive, a 25% increase over then current comp package. No negotiation required.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Libertyville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility (Libertyville, IL).

Interview

New hiring process does require several interviews, initially with recruiter then couple of hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• Google does seem to like to throw curve balls and ask abstract questions unrelated to the job, just to see if potential employee is quick on his/her feet.   Answer Question

Senior RF Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Motorola Mobility (Chicago, IL) in January 2011.

Interview

Had a phone screening with the hiring manager first and then was called on for a on-site interview. This was for one full day and was interviewed by 6 engineers.

Interview Questions

• It was more of RF basic questions. So be thorough in your basics   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motorola Mobility.

Interview

I met the hiring manager of Motorola at a job fair held by my university and was contacted for an interview after a month or two. I was contacted after a month or two and had a phone interview with the same person that I met at the fair and another engineer that he was with. They asked me pretty standard and behavioral questions, some of the same as in the in-person interview below. I don't remember the phone interview as much as the in-person.The in-person interview was actually quite difficult and lasted almost an hour. I spoke with about 4 different people and with multiple at the same time. Questions they asked me: 1) What classes are you currently taking? 2) What's your biggest strength? 3) What's your biggest weakness? 4) How are you classes going? 5) If you were at a stoplight and the light failed to turn green for a longer than normal amount of time, what would you do? ( I said turn right then make a U-turn =P ) 6) Tell me about a time in which you did not get along with someone, and how did you handle it? 7) Tell me about a time in which you took charge or were in charge... 8) They explained to me what the company does at that office, after he asked me what I've learned or what I didn't know or what I liked about the company(I guess to see if I was listening, which is hard to do when nervous). And some technical questions: 1) He showed me an inductor connected to a DC voltage source. Close to the aforementioned inductor was another one that was connected to a resistor. He asked for the voltage in the resistor. This one I got correct, the answer is 0 V because the source was DC. The source has AC in order to create a magnetic field in the inductors which results in induced current in the inductor/resistor connection and a voltage seen across the resistor. 2) I was shown a square within another square and asked how many squares where there. I guessed and got this one incorrect because I had never seen it before. Don't remember the answer. There was an equation that I had to know to solve the problem, but he just wanted to see how I worked through it I suppose.

Interview Questions

• The stoplight one as aforementioned and the square question.   Answer Question