Motorola Mobility Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.8

Digital Signal Processing Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in May 2010.

Interviewed in May for a Baseband DSP Engineer position. They were looking for more experience in the fields of digital synthesis hence no offer. The hiring manager was somehow supremely busy on the day I got there and even though he was scheduled to talk with me early in the morning, we got a chance to do that only in the afternoon by which time my taxi had left and he got annoyed because of that.

Interview Questions
    • I was given two constellation diagrams and was asked how I would decide the decision boundaries for minimizing mean squared error on each and then to maximize the confidence in only one of the estimation.   View Answers (2)

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in May 2008.

Some can be much harder than others. Mine was brutal. Ive known other ones for the same job to be much much easier. Job comes with certain prerequisites:
    1. Be a talker ( and more importantly a good listener)
    2. People person ( you need to be able to carry a conversation with ANYONE and make them like you)
    3. Ability to present to the government CTO
    4. Drive to close

Interview Questions
    • Hard thing to do was present to an audience on an unfamiliar topic. Although i was given a week to prepare, I was still presenting to an audience that were very familiar if not experts on the topic   Answer Question
    I wasnt able to negotiate.

Set a number mentally and dont settle for less...NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!

Software Engineering Intern Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in November 2009.

Please be as detailed as possible - everything from your initial communications with the company, organization and planning of the interview, number and type of interviews, and any advice you might offer to other interview candidates. Bonus points for your perceptions of the people, office, and work culture.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in November 2010.

The hiring process probably took around a month after the first interview. It was really to the point, I had experience already as a test Engineer and the questions were based in different situations in the SDLC.
    I have been doing quality assurance and there were several questions regarding actual situations that I had in my job experience.

Interview Questions
    I had already experience in the field and I give a couple of calls to follow up. My best advice is the follow up after the interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in March 2011.

Telephonic and Project Discussion.

Interview Questions
    • POSIX Architecture and Implementation.   View Answer

Android Applications Engineer - Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in March 2014.

one phone interview, two on site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Still owned by google, has the atmosphere. Intense interviews, google style. they ask you to write short programs, so brush up on your data structures and algorithms.   Answer Question

Senior Director Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Libertyville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Libertyville, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in March 2010.

Brought in through a retained search firm, who did an excellent job preparing me for the interviews.

Following several calls with recruiter, had 1-hour conversation with in-house talent acquisition manager, then 1 hour with executive to whom I'd directly report.

In-person interviews took 6 hours and included the chief operating officer of the company, 2 VP-level peers (reported to same executive), the HR manager for the department and finally, the executive to whom I'd report directly.

Interview Questions
    • None of the interviewers were particularly challenging. The HR interview was behavioral.   Answer Question
    The package was extremely competitive, a 25% increase over then current comp package. No negotiation required.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in October 2010.

3 interview rounds with directors, senior directors, CVP/ SVP

Interview Questions
    • Present business case and recommendation for organization effectiveness improvement   Answer Question
    Not too difficult. They really liked my background.

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motorola Mobility.

I met the hiring manager of Motorola at a job fair held by my university and was contacted for an interview after a month or two. I was contacted after a month or two and had a phone interview with the same person that I met at the fair and another engineer that he was with. They asked me pretty standard and behavioral questions, some of the same as in the in-person interview below. I don't remember the phone interview as much as the in-person.The in-person interview was actually quite difficult and lasted almost an hour. I spoke with about 4 different people and with multiple at the same time.

Questions they asked me:
    1) What classes are you currently taking?
    2) What's your biggest strength?
    3) What's your biggest weakness?
    4) How are you classes going?
    5) If you were at a stoplight and the light failed to turn green for a longer than normal amount of time, what would you do? ( I said turn right then make a U-turn =P )
    6) Tell me about a time in which you did not get along with someone, and how did you handle it?
    7) Tell me about a time in which you took charge or were in charge...
    8) They explained to me what the company does at that office, after he asked me what I've learned or what I didn't know or what I liked about the company(I guess to see if I was listening, which is hard to do when nervous).

And some technical questions:
    1) He showed me an inductor connected to a DC voltage source. Close to the aforementioned inductor was another one that was connected to a resistor. He asked for the voltage in the resistor. This one I got correct, the answer is 0 V because the source was DC. The source has AC in order to create a magnetic field in the inductors which results in induced current in the inductor/resistor connection and a voltage seen across the resistor.
    2) I was shown a square within another square and asked how many squares where there. I guessed and got this one incorrect because I had never seen it before. Don't remember the answer. There was an equation that I had to know to solve the problem, but he just wanted to see how I worked through it I suppose.

Interview Questions
    • The stoplight one as aforementioned and the square question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in June 2009.

Initial phone interview with hiring manager, followed by on site interview with staff members.
    Mostly questions on wireless technologies CDMA, Embedded systems, rtos, c and c++.
    staff is very knowledgeable and do not provide feedback during interview.
    Job offer at the door via fedex two days after interview. HR is super fast if hiring manager and team give the thumbs-up

Interview Questions
    • What is a context switch and give an example   View Answer
    Yes, negotiaded more stocks in lieu of signing bonus