Motorola Mobility

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Motorola Mobility.

I met the hiring manager of Motorola at a job fair held by my university and was contacted for an interview after a month or two. I was contacted after a month or two and had a phone interview with the same person that I met at the fair and another engineer that he was with. They asked me pretty standard and behavioral questions, some of the same as in the in-person interview below. I don't remember the phone interview as much as the in-person.The in-person interview was actually quite difficult and lasted almost an hour. I spoke with about 4 different people and with multiple at the same time.

Questions they asked me:
1) What classes are you currently taking?
2) What's your biggest strength?
3) What's your biggest weakness?
4) How are you classes going?
5) If you were at a stoplight and the light failed to turn green for a longer than normal amount of time, what would you do? ( I said turn right then make a U-turn =P )
6) Tell me about a time in which you did not get along with someone, and how did you handle it?
7) Tell me about a time in which you took charge or were in charge...
8) They explained to me what the company does at that office, after he asked me what I've learned or what I didn't know or what I liked about the company(I guess to see if I was listening, which is hard to do when nervous).

And some technical questions:
1) He showed me an inductor connected to a DC voltage source. Close to the aforementioned inductor was another one that was connected to a resistor. He asked for the voltage in the resistor. This one I got correct, the answer is 0 V because the source was DC. The source has AC in order to create a magnetic field in the inductors which results in induced current in the inductor/resistor connection and a voltage seen across the resistor.
2) I was shown a square within another square and asked how many squares where there. I guessed and got this one incorrect because I had never seen it before. Don't remember the answer. There was an equation that I had to know to solve the problem, but he just wanted to see how I worked through it I suppose.

Interview Questions
  • The stoplight one as aforementioned and the square question.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Motorola Mobility

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in January 2012.

Interviewed on-site at Horsham, PA with the hiring manager. The interview was relaxed and I was made to feel very comfortable. They started off with behavioral questions and then moved onto basic object oriented programming questions. Interview took approximately 1 hour after which I was given a tour around the lab where I would be working.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lowell, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in March 2009.

Received an email and phone call requesting an interview. Was given a tour of the facilities, including a detailed description of what the job would entail. Was interviewed one-on-one by three individuals; one of whom was a little intimidating and very to the point, but respectful and knowledgeable. Everyone I met was welcoming and knowledgeable.

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in April 2007.

the interview took one day. several team members joined. as i was a new graduate, they basically asked the questions regarding the projects I did in school. ppl are generally very nice. I got the call from the HR the very next day after the interview and informed me that I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • how to detect the system is big endian or little endian   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanoi (Vietnam)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanoi (Vietnam)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Mobility in June 2008.

The key to get pass the interview is to answer the question: What is Erlang?