Motorola Solutions

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Talked a bit about my resume and asked me a few questions about my projects. Then the interviewer asked a couple of technical questions like how to use grep, function overloading vs overriding, implement NAND gate with CMOS. The interview took about thirty minutes.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Started with an email from the manager. Then a phone call and later on site interview. very organized and systematic process. The interview was a mix of basic questions and advanced one. Also, there was some personal question to study personality. Overall, the interview and its process were smooth, but challenging.

Test Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions in January 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter in which they gave me a 13 question questionnaire to fill out, in which I had already filled out months ago for the same position whereas I believe the other recruiter never even submitted me. At the time, it took me about 7 hours to do, the recruiters both thought it was a quick and easy thing that'll take like an hour or two. The questionnaire is 13 long answer questions, asking for tables and detailed plans, in some cases. After the recruiter this time actually submitted me to the manager to look it over, about a month later they requested an interview. I arrived at their Holtsville, NY location and walked in to a room with three women, two managers and one team lead. The interview started out very standard, as one manager asked me to take a couple of minutes to describe my background, education, and work experience. Then the lady said something odd but it was not totally out of nowhere, she said do I know what kind of position this is and what its for. Seemed a little arrogant to me, but I quickly realize she is saying this because it's a testing role and not a development role. They moved onto going over my questionnaire, and then the interview went downhill very quickly. Out of the 5 questions I sat there to go over, I got every single one wrong. They gave me paper and explained the questions again and made me redo them. This was highly unusual in my opinion, it's not like some kind of makeup test, it's an interview. They received this questionnaire in advance from the recruiter, and THEY were the ones that requested I come in for an interview. If I got all or almost all of the questions wrong on this questionnaire that they deemed so important, why even bother setting this interview up? Redoing the questions was extremely nerve wracking and they expected me to understand these questions (that I didn't understand in the first place, apparently) right away after explaining and giving me "hints." I will say again, what is this, a study group? The team lead was going over a programming question which was actually very simple but I didn't give a proper example (I gave an example of an in scope variable instead of out of scope) so then she wanted EVERY example that would fit into what I already wrote, but she wasn't listening to what I had to say unless I said everything in the proper order of her line of thought. They were shooting me hypotheticals like what if you took out a word how would you get an out of scope error. I don't know what they were really getting at with these questions, since it wasn't a programming job and I learned in college to how to properly program, not how to generate errors. That just seems like useless knowledge. They were at the sixth or seventh question I believe (they had me reading them to the group, I don't know why) and this was the icing on the cake. There was a question to write a test plan, which I've heard of before but I've never actually written one. They started off saying it was clear I've never written a test plan, which was true, but they didn't know why I didn't look it up. The team lead goes on and repeats several times that she doesn't understand why I didn't search on the web for a test plan and copy one of the templates, implying I was too stupid or incapable of doing such a thing. This was the last straw, I apparently had no acceptable answers on the questionnaire they were going over, they had me redoing the questions, and now they were straight up insulting me! I stood up, thanked them for their time, and walked out. I don't think they even said a word in rebuttal. So far, it's been my worst interview experience of all time.

Interview Questions
    • How many gallons of gasoline is used by New York City each week?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Motorola Solutions.

I received a call from a recruiter and we set up a phone interview. I was asked basic questions mainly about my experiences and various items that I had listed on my resume.

Systems Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions.

Applied for the position online and received a phone call from HR to conduct a phone interview within a month of applying. Phone interview consisted of talking with the hiring manager and reviewing my past work history, interests and knowledge from a high level. On-site interview was with two hiring managers: one for the position that I applied for, and one for a position that has similar qualifications. The questions here were pretty straightforward and was primarily a deeper conversation about my past work history in the relevant areas. The interview was pleasant, but one of the hiring managers was an extraordinarily strong personality - almost arrogant - and was certainly a turn-off for me. Additionally, they had not paid attention to my salary requirements in the application, which were 20-30% above what they were offering, and they seemed appalled when I answered their question regarding salary with the same number that I had placed into my application. Overall, it was a waste of my time because of this, and the interview was pretty much over after that question.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't encounter any difficult or unexpected questions, but it wasn't clear that I was overqualified for this position until I sat for the interview.   Answer Question

Internal Auditor Interview

Typical behavorial type interview questions. Same question asked a lot of ways. Not conversational. 5 different people interview you with assigned behavioral questions. Be prepared to have a lot of behavioral answers in store. 2 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest achievement, how do you handle teamwork, tell me about a time when..., etc.   Answer Question

UI Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions.

phone interview with an engineer followed by flying over to head quarters for an on-site interview, took about 5 weeks in total between the phone call to getting a reply. Nice people and no problems with the interview process.

Systems Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions.

Interview process was very casual at first and the included a formal interview process afterwards. There were also introductions to the engineering team, which probably was testing how much of a match a candidate was. With this position, they tested more for analytical skills, communication/personality skills, and if your interest was in RF at all. Also, make sure that you know that Motorola Solutions does not make phones anymore!! That is Motorola Mobility and it will help that they won't have to explain that.

Interview Questions
    • How have you resolved conflicts with members on a project? What is the biggest technical problem you have faced?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions.

I was contacted by email to setup an phone interview date. I interview with to engineers that worked on the same team. They first told me about the company, then the asked me questions about my resume and my course work. At the end they allowed me to ask them questions. The entire interview took about 40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not very difficult, it was my first phone interview so I was a little nervous. I felt all the questions were fair.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions.

Initial communication: By phone, preliminary technical interview, basic knowledge.
    Second interview: If candidate passed the phone interview, then the candidate is invited to an in house interview. This interview is 1:1 with different software engineers and it is a more in-depth technical interview. Also HR interview. The candidate should expect a background check and drug test.

Interview Questions
    • This depends upon what the applicant is applying for: the majority of the software development is in embedded systems (although there are development positions for Windows software apps). Languages C++ / C / Assembly.
      A possible question is: How do you avoid locks in software threads?

Answer Question