Motorola Solutions Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.9

Electrical Engineer Interview

Interview

Started with an email from the manager. Then a phone call and later on site interview. very organized and systematic process. The interview was a mix of basic questions and advanced one. Also, there was some personal question to study personality. Overall, the interview and its process were smooth, but challenging.

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter in which they gave me a 13 question questionnaire to fill out, in which I had already filled out months ago for the same position whereas I believe the other recruiter never even submitted me. At the time, it took me about 7 hours to do, the recruiters both thought it was a quick and easy thing that'll take like an hour or two. The questionnaire is 13 long answer questions, asking for tables and detailed plans, in some cases. After the recruiter this time actually submitted me to the manager to look it over, about a month later they requested an interview. I arrived at their Holtsville, NY location and walked in to a room with three women, two managers and one team lead. The interview started out very standard, as one manager asked me to take a couple of minutes to describe my background, education, and work experience. Then the lady said something odd but it was not totally out of nowhere, she said do I know what kind of position this is and what its for. Seemed a little arrogant to me, but I quickly realize she is saying this because it's a testing role and not a development role. They moved onto going over my questionnaire, and then the interview went downhill very quickly. Out of the 5 questions I sat there to go over, I got every single one wrong. They gave me paper and explained the questions again and made me redo them. This was highly unusual in my opinion, it's not like some kind of makeup test, it's an interview. They received this questionnaire in advance from the recruiter, and THEY were the ones that requested I come in for an interview. If I got all or almost all of the questions wrong on this questionnaire that they deemed so important, why even bother setting this interview up? Redoing the questions was extremely nerve wracking and they expected me to understand these questions (that I didn't understand in the first place, apparently) right away after explaining and giving me "hints." I will say again, what is this, a study group? The team lead was going over a programming question which was actually very simple but I didn't give a proper example (I gave an example of an in scope variable instead of out of scope) so then she wanted EVERY example that would fit into what I already wrote, but she wasn't listening to what I had to say unless I said everything in the proper order of her line of thought. They were shooting me hypotheticals like what if you took out a word how would you get an out of scope error. I don't know what they were really getting at with these questions, since it wasn't a programming job and I learned in college to how to properly program, not how to generate errors. That just seems like useless knowledge. They were at the sixth or seventh question I believe (they had me reading them to the group, I don't know why) and this was the icing on the cake. There was a question to write a test plan, which I've heard of before but I've never actually written one. They started off saying it was clear I've never written a test plan, which was true, but they didn't know why I didn't look it up. The team lead goes on and repeats several times that she doesn't understand why I didn't search on the web for a test plan and copy one of the templates, implying I was too stupid or incapable of doing such a thing. This was the last straw, I apparently had no acceptable answers on the questionnaire they were going over, they had me redoing the questions, and now they were straight up insulting me! I stood up, thanked them for their time, and walked out. I don't think they even said a word in rebuttal. So far, it's been my worst interview experience of all time.

Interview Questions

• How many gallons of gasoline is used by New York City each week?   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions (Schaumburg, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

First applied in december, got back to me within a month, got interviewed in 2 weeks after contact, got position after one week. Basic behavioral questions, one technical question but not related to my position.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Motorola Solutions in January 2015.

Interview

I had an informal interview out of campus. I have a very bad impression of this company when the manager told me that he doesn't understand what is work life balance. "Work is life: life is about work", that's what he said. Oh my Gosh! It's scary to know that there are still managers like that in 2015

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions (Schaumburg, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Only a few potential candidates were selected to attend an open house, where you meet the team of engineers and discuss the various sectors of the company and their roles, as well as a tour of the headquarters. A week later you are contacted to return and interview with the team of engineers.

Interview Questions

• What are differences between C++ and Java? What is the difference between a stack and a queue? What is the toughest program you had to work on? What is your level of understanding of networking?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Motorola Solutions.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter and we set up a phone interview. I was asked basic questions mainly about my experiences and various items that I had listed on my resume.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Motorola Solutions (Seattle, WA).

Interview

The people seemed nice enough. They have a nice location by the water in Seattle. I first attended their standup meeting which was a bit disorganized compared to typical Scrum / agile. The coding questions were not that difficult. They were all just string based questions (reverse a string, see if there's a match for phone number string to letter string, find missing alphabet character in 25 character string). I answered all three but apparently not in the manner that they expected. Although they seem to be a bit particular in what they look for since they said it took them 18 months to hire their current SDET.

Interview Questions

• Find missing alphabet character in 25 character string   1 Answer

Systems Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Motorola Solutions (Westminster, CO).

Interview

Applied for the position online and received a phone call from HR to conduct a phone interview within a month of applying. Phone interview consisted of talking with the hiring manager and reviewing my past work history, interests and knowledge from a high level. On-site interview was with two hiring managers: one for the position that I applied for, and one for a position that has similar qualifications. The questions here were pretty straightforward and was primarily a deeper conversation about my past work history in the relevant areas. The interview was pleasant, but one of the hiring managers was an extraordinarily strong personality - almost arrogant - and was certainly a turn-off for me. Additionally, they had not paid attention to my salary requirements in the application, which were 20-30% above what they were offering, and they seemed appalled when I answered their question regarding salary with the same number that I had placed into my application. Overall, it was a waste of my time because of this, and the interview was pretty much over after that question.

Interview Questions

• I didn't encounter any difficult or unexpected questions, but it wasn't clear that I was overqualified for this position until I sat for the interview.   Answer Question

Internal Auditor Interview

Interview

Typical behavorial type interview questions. Same question asked a lot of ways. Not conversational. 5 different people interview you with assigned behavioral questions. Be prepared to have a lot of behavioral answers in store. 2 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest achievement, how do you handle teamwork, tell me about a time when..., etc.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Motorola Solutions (Schaumburg, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

There was a phone screening set up by a recruiter. I went tot he office and was interviewed by a group of managers and stakeholders. The conversation was about an hour. Two days later I was told they would not be filling the position due to budget cutting.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when a project contributor is not meeting deadlines?   Answer Question