Motorola Solutions Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Motorola Solutions.

Interview

Phone screening followed by one on site interview of about 3 to 4 hours. Interviewed by about 5 different people about object oriented programming. Given overview of the project that I would be working on.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Motorola Solutions

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Solutions (Plantation, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted my application online and got a email request to speak with me over the phone. We weren't able to rearrange the time because of tight schedules, but finally had the phone interview (the interviewer was maybe 1 hour late in calling me). Thought it went decently, but I haven't heard back from them since, and the interviewer doesn't respond to emails. Overall, good experience in seeing what kind of technical questions they would ask but horrible interviewer/interviewee communication on the part of the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Stack vs. Queue 2. How do you count the elements of the list without using a for-loop   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Motorola Solutions in January 2015.

Interview

I had an informal interview out of campus. I have a very bad impression of this company when the manager told me that he doesn't understand what is work life balance. "Work is life: life is about work", that's what he said. Oh my Gosh! It's scary to know that there are still managers like that in 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Solutions.

Interview

one telephonic interview for 45 mins discusses simple oops concepts. THen an onsite interview call. had 3 back to back interviews, 2 technical and one with the hiring manager.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Motorola Solutions.

Interview

4 rounds, about one hour each. They where mostly technical with object oriented programming general questions and a few specific questions, but each round asked similar questions. It was required to write some pseudocode to solve problems

Interview Questions

• They asked to choose a language between a few options and write the code to solve a written problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Solutions (Schaumburg, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

Started with a phone interview which only consisted of me talking about my resume and projects. There was no coding questions. The onsite interview consisted of speaking with 3 engineers and 1 hiring manager. Everybody was very friendly. Spent a lot of time with each engineer talking about my projects. There was some basic coding questions, object-oriented questions, multi-threading questions, etc. One of the engineers really liked me and I got an offer in less than 24 hours.

Interview Questions

Got a better offer elsewhere.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Motorola Solutions (San Jose, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

First interview took place at the campus. After couple of weeks the recruiters organized a telephonic interview. The interview was completely technical full of C questions.

Interview Questions

• Q1. What is the difference between Interrupt and Polling? Q2. What is static identifier? Where is it used? Q3. Questions on pointer concept. They explained a small piece of code over the phone and asked questions based on it. Like incrementing pointer value. Q4. Difference between Array and linked list. When and how is array preferred over Linux?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Motorola Solutions (Schaumburg, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

45 minute interview which included your standard behavioral questions. Team of engineers make fun of you during interview and set you up for opportunities to be disrespectful. You'll be hired or not based on one technical question: "have you ever built your own computer before?" All they want to know is if you have any experience with systems and software. They might ask if you have familiarity with various computer systems, windows, unix, linux... Don't bother even writing a thank you note, nobody in the whole company has business cards. If you have a reasonable GPA, and any experience with computers you'll probably get the job. They also want to know that you know what the responsibilities of the position you're applying for are.

Interview Questions

• "have you ever built your own computer before?"   1 Answer

No job security everyone starts out at the same salary and the engineers there are rude.

Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Motorola Solutions (Schaumburg, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

4 hour interview with 4 different employees. They ask tough tricky questions. Thankfully they will also explain somewhat the answers they were looking for. Design frameworks will definitely come up. Luckily they aren't good at coordinating who asks what and seem to be working off the same guidelines. Questions asked by your first interviewer may very well be asked by your second so keep that to yourself and take good mental notes. It's not cheating because they might actually be trying to see how well you learn, I wasn't sure.

Interview Questions

• They asked question about design templates/frameworks/paradaigms (having trouble remembering what it is called)   1 Answer
    • They asked a couple "write an algorithm that..." questions. I think they were about memory (or involved arrays?)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was an easy process with two interviews. First one was for about 1 hour full technical with questions on C/C++. Data structures and Digital design.