Mott MacDonald Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Aug 28, 2014

2.9

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Transport Planner Interview

Was on the list and they just emailed me. Two interviewer based on a sheet of HR questions, last 1 hour. Technical questions: 1 oral and 1 verbal. The interview seems tired but friendly. It must be a busy day

Interview Questions
    • If you're enrolled in a project team. How do you add value to the project. Please make statements. (Written)   View Answer

Graduate Transport Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Mott MacDonald.

Applied online through the careers website where there were various questions testing your interests and competencies which are vital to the role. Interviews are then arranged by telephone if the relevant job opportunities are found to match you skills and interests. I found that the recruitment team and managers did a very thorough job of this and they only see the few people who they truly believe will fit into the company and enjoy the role being offered. This was evident during the interview where managers were well prepared and knew what topics to talk about without having to shuffle through piles of paper.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about creating a model to analyse the feasibility of a new transport scheme   Answer Question

Graduate RAMS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mott MacDonald in April 2014.

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks -
    Interview Details – The application process seems very relaxed.

The application begins with an on-line form to submit. This covers the usual competency questions and will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete if done properly.

Unlike a majority of large companies today, Mott MacDonald avoid the use of dreaded assessment centres. Instead, the process involves only one interview with 2 staff members from RAMs dept to discuss your experiences and aspirations and the usual competencies. A 10 minute verbal presentation without computer on a project / experience was also required.

I did answer an online questionnaire of about 200 questions that makes it very boring.

Interview Question – What made you apply for a graduate role with Mott MacDonald? what are the problems facing the division i.e rail safety division based on your experience and understanding, where do you see your self in the next five years, what is your understanding of FTA and ETA.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a fault tree of a system presented to me, very complex system though. describe an assessment process to describe the changes to use in justifying the cost of making risk reduction process.   View Answer

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Croydon, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Mott MacDonald in February 2014.

I applied through the online portal, I then got called for an onsite interview 3 weeks later for an assessment day, I had to prepare a presentation and do an online test before hand,
    The assessment day consisted of (online testings, presentation and interview).
    Online testings (verbal, numerical, psychometric) were quite easy, just remember to practice
     them before hand and you will be fine.
    Interview was relatively straight forward (difference between AC and DC transmission, resilience
    in power systems, considerations in railway infrastructure).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the biggest challenge faced in the Railway industry   Answer Question

Had another offer, wasn't convinced by the work culture.

Industrial Placement (Civil Engineering) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mott MacDonald in September 2013.

Application form/CV > Confirmation of interview by phone > Informal interview with engineering principles questions and questions to assess character. Generally quite laid back and I felt as though my interviewers were trying to get to know me to see if I would fit into the current team. Do your research and be clear and confident.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions relating to the field - although it was fairly basic, with a good general civil engineering knowledge and adequate research I found it easy to answer.   Answer Question
    Brief - not applicable for a undergraduate position

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bighton, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bighton, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mott MacDonald in June 2013.

After submitting an application through their web-interface. I was contacted by phone for an interview two weeks prior to the set date. I was sent reasonable information on how to reach the office and a 30-page report on which to prepare a 10-min presentation. Once there, the interview started ontime, but took an hour more than expected. The presentation was appreciated and a couple extra non-challenging questions were made. We spoke about my experiences, my preparation, my interest in the field, the office, the town and my expectations. I was then asked a technical question for which I was not prepared and was helped to reach an answer through logic. I was then left to compile a brief email as part of the written assignment. After a week I was contacted by phone for an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Identify the critical points along a buried pipe running down a hill.   View Answer
    not reached yet.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altrincham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altrincham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Mott MacDonald in April 2013.

An online application, followed by a short interview.

Interview Questions
    • To draw a shear force and moment diagram   View Answer

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Mott MacDonald.

The application process is very relaxed with Mott MacDonald. I had recently worked on a summer placement with them so this may have streamlined the process.

Unlike a majority of large companies today, Mott MacDonald avoid the use of dreaded assessment centres. Instead, the process involves only one interview with a few staff members to discuss your experiences and aspirations and the usual competencies. A 5 minute presentation on a project / experience was also required.

I am not aware of any steps such as phone interviews etc. prior to this interview, but this may have been because of my previous experience with them.

Interview Questions
    • What made you apply for a graduate role with Mott MacDonald?   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Croydon, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mott MacDonald in June 2011.

Everything from your initial communications with the company, organization and planning of the interview, number and type of interviews, and any advice you might offer to other interview candidates.

Interview Questions
    • About technical problem, business case,   View Answer
    • on your perceptions of the people, office, and work culture.   View Answer
    Bonus points for your perceptions of the people, office, and work culture.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mott MacDonald in October 2009.

The interview consisted of a relaxed meeting with a manager from the office who went through my CV. He asked about my knowledge of the company and my previous work experience.

Be confident and show knowledge of subject area. I declined the offer on account of the remuneration being too low.