Mott MacDonald

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Transport Planner Interview

Graduate Transport Planner

Interviewed at Mott MacDonald

Interview Details – Was on the list and they just emailed me. Two interviewer based on a sheet of HR questions, last 1 hour. Technical questions: 1 oral and 1 verbal. The interview seems tired but friendly. It must be a busy day

Interview Question – If you're enrolled in a project team. How do you add value to the project. Please make statements. (Written)   View Answer

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Graduate Electrical Engineer
Croydon, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at Mott MacDonald in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through the online portal, I then got called for an onsite interview 3 weeks later for an assessment day, I had to prepare a presentation and do an online test before hand,
The assessment day consisted of (online testings, presentation and interview).
Online testings (verbal, numerical, psychometric) were quite easy, just remember to practice
 them before hand and you will be fine.
Interview was relatively straight forward (difference between AC and DC transmission, resilience
in power systems, considerations in railway infrastructure).

Interview Question – Tell me about the biggest challenge faced in the Railway industry   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had another offer, wasn't convinced by the work culture.

Graduate RAMS Engineer Interview

Graduate RAMS Engineer
London, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mott MacDonald in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and the process took 3 weeks -
Interview Details – The application process seems very relaxed.

The application begins with an on-line form to submit. This covers the usual competency questions and will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete if done properly.

Unlike a majority of large companies today, Mott MacDonald avoid the use of dreaded assessment centres. Instead, the process involves only one interview with 2 staff members from RAMs dept to discuss your experiences and aspirations and the usual competencies. A 10 minute verbal presentation without computer on a project / experience was also required.

I did answer an online questionnaire of about 200 questions that makes it very boring.

Interview Question – What made you apply for a graduate role with Mott MacDonald? what are the problems facing the division i.e rail safety division based on your experience and understanding, where do you see your self in the next five years, what is your understanding of FTA and ETA.

Interview Question – Draw a fault tree of a system presented to me, very complex system though. describe an assessment process to describe the changes to use in justifying the cost of making risk reduction process.   View Answer

Graduate Transport Planner Interview

Graduate Transport Planner
Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at Mott MacDonald.

Interview Details – Applied online through the careers website where there were various questions testing your interests and competencies which are vital to the role. Interviews are then arranged by telephone if the relevant job opportunities are found to match you skills and interests. I found that the recruitment team and managers did a very thorough job of this and they only see the few people who they truly believe will fit into the company and enjoy the role being offered. This was evident during the interview where managers were well prepared and knew what topics to talk about without having to shuffle through piles of paper.

Interview Question – How would you go about creating a model to analyse the feasibility of a new transport scheme   Answer Question

Industrial Placement (Civil Engineering) Interview

Industrial Placement (Civil Engineering)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mott MacDonald in September 2013.

Interview Details – Application form/CV > Confirmation of interview by phone > Informal interview with engineering principles questions and questions to assess character. Generally quite laid back and I felt as though my interviewers were trying to get to know me to see if I would fit into the current team. Do your research and be clear and confident.

Interview Question – Technical questions relating to the field - although it was fairly basic, with a good general civil engineering knowledge and adequate research I found it easy to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Brief - not applicable for a undergraduate position

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Altrincham, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Mott MacDonald in April 2013.

Interview Details – An online application, followed by a short interview.

Interview Question – To draw a shear force and moment diagram   View Answer

Civil Engineer Interview

Civil Engineer
Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Mott MacDonald in April 2009.

Interview Details – Was called via an agency working for Motts about post there - attended for interview within two weeks. Standard interview - met Director of Cardiff office - good interview - company seemed professional and friendly. Took 3 to 4 months to get job offer after giving 3 references for position.

Interview Question – Where do you want to be in 5 years time.....   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – having started the job at Cardiff , I was interrogated by my boss about my personal life, friends, relationships etc. I was spoken to like dirt as my boss was not involved in the recruitment process at all and made sure I was aware of this. I was made to feel that I was not welcome in the office by my boss and was bullied and excluded from staff get togethers. I resigned eventually after further bullying and harassement by my boss at Cardiff office.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Graduate Civil Engineer
Bighton, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Mott MacDonald in June 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting an application through their web-interface. I was contacted by phone for an interview two weeks prior to the set date. I was sent reasonable information on how to reach the office and a 30-page report on which to prepare a 10-min presentation. Once there, the interview started ontime, but took an hour more than expected. The presentation was appreciated and a couple extra non-challenging questions were made. We spoke about my experiences, my preparation, my interest in the field, the office, the town and my expectations. I was then asked a technical question for which I was not prepared and was helped to reach an answer through logic. I was then left to compile a brief email as part of the written assignment. After a week I was contacted by phone for an offer.

Interview Question – Identify the critical points along a buried pipe running down a hill.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – not reached yet.

Graduate Civil Engineer Interview

Graduate Civil Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Mott MacDonald.

Interview Details – The application process is very relaxed with Mott MacDonald. I had recently worked on a summer placement with them so this may have streamlined the process.

Unlike a majority of large companies today, Mott MacDonald avoid the use of dreaded assessment centres. Instead, the process involves only one interview with a few staff members to discuss your experiences and aspirations and the usual competencies. A 5 minute presentation on a project / experience was also required.

I am not aware of any steps such as phone interviews etc. prior to this interview, but this may have been because of my previous experience with them.

Interview Question – What made you apply for a graduate role with Mott MacDonald?   View Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Cambridge, South West England, England (UK)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Mott MacDonald in January 2008.

Interview Details – Face to face interview with resource manager to assess personality, technical skills and general background check. Quite informal and relaxed, while to the point.
My advice be yourself and honest about yourself and what you know.

Interview Question – In how many ways you could remove a volatile substance from water   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Have 2 other offers is useful to negotiate.

Worked for Mott MacDonald? Contribute to the Community!