Mount Sinai School of Medicine

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Data Manager Interview

Data Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

Interview Details – I was an intern with the same PI so the actual interview process was very relaxed. I already went through a 8 month interview as an intern.

Interview Question – No, the interview was more a formality   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in July 2012.

Interview Details – I set up an interview by email, and made my own flight reservations for the visit. I met with several graduate students and postdocs before meeting with the PI to discuss my career goals. I gave a 45 minute seminar on my graduate school research. The entire process lasted from 1pm to 7pm. I was reimbursed for travel and lodging expenses at the end.

Interview Question – This was a question specific to my research. However, I did get questions that asked about my family and my significant other which I thought were not relevant to my abilities as a researcher. I wish I had dealt with these better and had not divulged personal information.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate to 2K above NIH minimum.

Assistant Research Professor Interview

Assistant Research Professor
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in June 2010.

Interview Details – One day interview starting with a job interview talk followed by a series of meetings with various people.

Negotiation Details – Given the high living cost, more compensation is needed.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

Interview Details – A short phone interview. Then I got an offer

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in March 2012.

Interview Details – Phone Interview - questions pertaining to my current and past research experiences. Was asked typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Ethically challenged situations found in research labs   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very fair. I asked for help with an apartment in the City. They placed me in one of the subsidized buildings for a much lower cost than typically offered.

Software Engineer/Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact was done via email. I was invited to the first interview. I talked to four people, all of them were knowledgeable and pleasant. They explained their challenges and environment, seemed like a great place to work potentially. My experience seemed like a perfect fit for the position.

In a few days I was called back to talk to the Director. When I arrived I was told that before the director I need to talk to a manager of NeuroCore lab. He told me that I was supposed to talk to him the first day but he was out. This gentleman was asking me some very basic questions, sometimes repeating questions he already asked. Overall, I got a negative impression. Then he took me to the Director of the Institute, entered the room and stayed. The Director seemed out of it: didn't know who I am or what position I'm being interviewed for. He asked the gentlemen I just talked to help him ask me relevant questions... and he proceeded to ask me the same basic question again. Then he told me if I would consider taking part-time or consulting arrangement (I was initially told this was a full-time position). I told them that depending on the benefits and compensation I would consider.

I was called back the third time and asked to participate in a technical meeting. I was glad to see the job from up close. After the meeting talked to the manager of NeuroCore lab again. He told me that they changed job description and now it's a part-time only. At this point I lost all interest, considering that I wouldn't be getting any medical benefits for my family. Then he tried to low-ball me on the salary (trust me, ridiculous offer) and I told him this is not the offer I'm looking for. He asked me what I'm looking for and I told him. That was Thursday, he said they need a few days to decide. On Monday I got an email that stated that I'm too expensive and they don't have the budget.

All in all, I liked the place and seemed like an interesting place to work, but interaction with the NeuroCore Lab manager (he'd be my direct boss) was off-putting and I'm relieved that I didn't end up in this situation.

Interview Question – Changing position description during the interview process from full-time to part-time.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student

Interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine

Interview Details – After submitting my application, they invited me to interview at the school for a day. The interviews were about 45 min each in the morning, then we toured the school and attended a faculty luncheon for the rest of the day. Everyone -- faculty, students -- was so warm and welcoming.

Interview Question – Why Mount Sinai?   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

Interview Details – Met with department HR manager and the department Administrator.

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself'. This can be a make or break point in the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not given a chance to negotiate.

Graduate Student Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in March 2009.

Interview Details – Standard graduate school interviews. Be prepared to talk about your previous research fluently, ideas for where you would like to go with your work and what you want out of your future in science. They also have interviews conducted by current graduate students. Definitely pick their brains about all aspects of life at the school, as well as which researchers are better to work with and which should be avoided.

Interview Question – Biggest problem was that I was not interviewed by a single person from my department of interest, either during the initial interview or during the revisit weekend.   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Interviewed at Mount Sinai School of Medicine

Interview Details – Meeting with direct supervisor and accounting manager

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Mount Sinai School of Medicine

Worked for Mount Sinai School of Medicine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mount Sinai School of Medicine interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Mount Sinai School of Medicine employees and interview candidates.