Mountain States Health Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.8

IS Project Manager III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnson City, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Mountain States Health in April 2013.

What an adventure! Two phone interviews...relatively innocuous. However, when they flew me from Orlando to Johnson City, that's when the fun started.

I met the director to whom I'd be reporting. The interview consisted of him giving me a recitation of his resume from his years as a consultant, including for Mountain States Health Alliance (MSHA). After that, he escorted me around the IS department, frantically looking for someone in leadership to introduce me to. Yes, one might think that this could have been coordinated in advance but, well, that's didn't seem to be the MSHA way.

After unsuccessfully wandering the building for about 15 minutes, we passed a conference room. He said, "Oh...I'm supposed to be in that meeting," and walked away, leaving me alone in the middle of the reception area. No "goodbye," no "we'll be in touch." Just walked away.

About three hours later, he called me to apologize and let me know that HR would be in touch. Sure enough, I was offered the position, including a nice sign-on bonus.

Again, then things got weird.

About three weeks later, I called him to let him know the timing of me leaving my (then) current position and start date with MSHA. He replied, "That's great but they let me go this morning." At this point, I'd given notice, listed my house, and begun the relocation process.

I contacted HR and the AVP to whom the department reported. She said they would fly me back up so I could meet her and some of the others and that the position was still mine.

Without going into the rest of the dysfunctional process (which would take another 1,000 words or so), suffice it to say that these initial contacts were the GOOD ones.

I remained with the organization for just over a year. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

FYI, there were seven people in the department when I arrived. Two weeks after I left, they were down to four with one of these scrambling to get out the door, not to mention at least three directors frantically trying to disembark the sinking ship. Another 20 or so folks I spoke with said they were in a position where they couldn't leave the area and were, for all intents and purposes, hostages to the salaries and employment.

Just a train-wreck of an organization.

Interview Questions
    • Maybe the most challenging question was "Why do you want to come to work here?" asked incredulously by the director I ended up reporting to. Why, oh, why, did I not heed his subtle warning?!?   Answer Question
    Salary range was lower than what I was after but they worked with me to get close.

Patient Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnson City, TN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mountain States Health in February 2010.

Set at a table of about 10 people asked random questions and then they each tried to capture you in their department. Atmosphere was tense for a low paying position.

Interview Questions
    offered the position, only took because other position at the same company was cut to part time and I had to have benefits.

Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mountain States Health in June 2010.

Had applied for a different position and after talking to the manager was offered another.

Negotiate.

Hospitalist Physician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kingsport, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingsport, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Mountain States Health in October 2013.

I contacted a recruiter. I was then asked to send in multiple references, including a criminal background check just for an interview. Lots of paperwork!, More than any other job I have ever applied for.

Interview Questions
    • A "hypothetical" low salary was given to me and I was told this was not negotiable. The recruiter asked me a lot of questions later to gauge my interest in the position. I was told the position was filled via e-mail, which I thought was not right, as I spent 3 days interviewing for this position out of town.   Answer Question

Resident Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnson City, TN

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Mountain States Health.

After filing an application, one meets with a two - three person panel to interview in person.
    The interview included sharing my life history and beliefs with the panel and how that could effect my interactions with patients, families, and staff. Additionally, I was given several scenarios and asked how I would respond to those cases.
    Upon being accepted, one signs a contract with the hospital, completed team member training, and agrees to all vaccinations, etc. required for hospital employment.

Interview Questions
    • How would you best minister to someone who has no belief systems?   Answer Question

IS Business Systems Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnson City, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mountain States Health in October 2010.

The interview process was a single interview followed by a group interview with my entire team. The questions were fairly straight forward and what one would expect during any interview, however I was asked some very experience oriented questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe in detail a situation where you disagreed with your supervisor in a previous position.   Answer Question
    Salary is negotiable do not take the first offer because they will seriously low ball it.

Customer Representivie/Blue Cross Billing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnson City, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Mountain States Health in March 2008.

Was minimal the whole thing took 10 minutes. It was as if they didn't care what you were saying. I didn't mind because I was looking for a job.

You don't have negotiation in the billing office.

Outreach Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnson City, TN

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Mountain States Health in August 2008.

Very typical, interview, got an offer, took drug test

there is no negotiation

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnson City, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Mountain States Health in September 2008.

They used situational interviewing and I had to meet with senior leadership, coworkers, and managers. Met with teams and individuals. Asked about the most difficult work situation I had ever had and how I dealt with it. Lots of questions about dealing with difficult people and my passion for work.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult work situation you ever had?   View Answer

Support Center Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johnson City, TN

The process took a day - interviewed at Mountain States Health in November 2011.

Interview was a smooth process. Employer asked basic knowledge questions, no 'trick' questions were ever asked. Interview was straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a problem that you recently used your troubleshooting skills to solve.   Answer Question

Worked for Mountain States Health? Contribute to the Community!