Mu Sigma Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

3.2

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Mu Sigma.

Interview

Sent them my resume through their company website and was contacted by a recruiter a bit later (can't remember exact time frame). From there I took an online SAT-style aptitude test (verbal/math/logical reasoning type questions) along with a video that I had to briefly synthesize. After passing through this round I schedule a Skype interview. Standard interview/HR-type questions along with situational questions regarding clients and also a couple of brain teasers to see how you logically progress to an answer. Got an offer shortly after the interview.

Interview Questions

• SItuational questions about how you would talk to clients regarding a problem   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Easy with 3 rounds. All three rounds were face to face. First, a group discussion, secondly, a technical interview and the final was a stress HR interview. It was a great experience.

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Mu Sigma.

Interview

I had two rounds of interviews. One was on the phone, the other in person. The entire process took about 4 weeks. After the two interviews, there was also a written assignment (video synthesis), where I had to use information presented in a video to answer questions.

Interview Questions

• Here are some of the questions.

1. A company has 10 machines that produce gold coins. One of the machines is producing coins that are a gram light. How do you tell which machine is making the defective coins with only one weighing?

2. Another one was the classic river crossing puzzle. Four people need to cross a river, and they take 1, 2, 5, and 10 minutes. They have only one torch and need the torch to cross the river. What is the minimum time to get all of them across to the other side?

3. You have two hourglasses. The first one times exactly 7 minutes; the other times exactly 11 minutes. Using just these two hourglasses and nothing else, how would you accurately time 15 minutes?

There were a few questions on SQL, mainly asking to explain joins and give examples. Also a few questions on basic concepts of regression.

1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mu Sigma.

Interview

Somewhat unprofessional. Interview time was a little off, and I was given less time than expected. The interview process was pretty standard, starting off with the tell me about your self, where do you see yourself in 5 years blah blah.. Asked me about my strengths and weaknesses, about a time I failed and what not.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mu Sigma.

Interview

The process took two months. I applied through my University. Completed an online placement test, then had and hour long interview with a manager. Lots of situational and brain teasers. I would suggest re-watching the video from the assessment test, I got questions about it. Lots of questions about technology and applied math.

Interview Questions

• How many stories can you drop a brick from and not have it break?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mu Sigma (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

1) Assessment consisting of GRE-style questions on quantitative and reasoning skills, followed by synthesis of a video featuring the CEO describing the company's philosophy.
    2) On-campus interview (done via Skype alternatively)
    3) On-site interview

Interview Questions

• What was your favourite course? Least?   1 Answer
    • Why did you choose your major(s)?   Answer Question
    • How willing are you to move to Bangalore for Mu Sigma University?   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Mu Sigma in March 2015.

Interview

Met with a recruiter ar campus career fair. Submitted resume.

In a week, emailed a multiple choice math test and a video synthesis prompt. Each is to be completed in 25 minutes. The math test consisted of 20 complex questions based on simple topics like proportions. I only got to attempt half, 10/20. The synthesis is to write what you got out of a 15-minute video on the company values and beliefs lecture given by the CEO. This round is an elimination round.

Shortly after, I was notified to schedule an interview through the school career portal with Mu Sigma. The interview consisted of two back to back 30-minute interviews with managers. First interviewer focused more on brain teasers and getting to know you while the second focused more on case studies.

A week later, I got an offer by email and by phone. The official letter was also in an email.

Interview Questions

• The two candles burn in an hour, how do you tell 45 minutes have passed question, and the four jars with 100 coins, each jar with increasingly heavy coins question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary: non-negotiable
    Start date: very negotiable
    No signing bonus

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mu Sigma (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

First Round: Short standardized test, not too difficult

Second Round: Asked to synthesize a 30-minute seminar

Third Round: Skype interview with behavioral and puzzle question. Puzzle question was difficult but mostly just to let them know how you think.

Once i completed all three rounds, I got emailed an offer one week later.

Interview Questions

• How would you apply the skills you obtained to Mu Sigma?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation yet.

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mu Sigma in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume through my school's job posting site. There were a few steps in the process:

1. Received an invitation to complete an aptitude test and synthesis test. Aptitude test was like SAT Math and Reading sections but much harder. 20 questions in 25 minutes, which was not a lot of time. There were probability questions, something I was not prepared for. After the aptitude test I had to watch a video of the CEO talking about the company and synthesize my learning. The video was about 15 minutes, leaving about 10 minutes to write the synthesis. It's important to realize you are not simply summarizing the video.

2. Received an invitation to interview on campus after passing the aptitude and synthesis tests. For some reason the interviewers couldn't make it to campus and had to schedule Skype interviews instead. The Skype interview consisted of basic questions about why you want to work there and walking the interviewer through your resume and touching on important parts. Then the interviewer moved on to actual questions:

- If you have three zeroes, how can you make 6? (0! + 0! + 0!)! = 6
    - You're working with the CEO of Pepsi and profits have been declining. Walk me through how you would approach solving this.
    - How would you estimate the number of women with Medicare in the U.S.?

Interviewer asked me about my willingness to relocate to India for 3 months, and I said I was willing. Interviewer told me I would either hear back about whether or not I got an offer or I would have to do another Skype interview.

I received the offer a few days later.

*While the interviewer told me that training would take 3 months in India, the offer letter stated that it would be 6 months. I felt like they lied to me throughout the interview process. It was very off putting.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to relocate to India for 3 months as part of the training? (actually 6 months)   Answer Question

I received a much better offer from another company that I wanted. Research the company and see if it's really what you want to do. Apparently the work-life balance is terrible, and you don't know where you'll be placed after training in India. I also really didn't like how they told me training would be 3 months, but it's actually 6 months. Watch out for this.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Mu Sigma.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and an initial phone screen was scheduled within a day of my response. Basic review of resume and skills. As part of round 1 there is also a "video synthesis" which consisted of the CEO speaking about Mu Sigma's values and competencies. I had 30 minutes to write down the main points, 20 minutes of which was presentation. The CEO said that Mu Sigma is a combination of Google and McKinsey (I'll allow the reader to find the humor in that). The second phone interview was with an engagement manager and lasted about an hour. A challenging and informative interview - asked specific questions about my thought process in conjunction with SAS/R/Python. Both individuals with whom I spoke with were very formal and respectful. I didn't hear back for over a month (the only negative) and had already accepted a stronger offer during the interim. The entire process was about 6-7 weeks.

Interview Questions

• A company is interested in determining how their products can compete against larger distributors.   1 Answer