Mu Sigma Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.2

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mu Sigma in March 2014.

I found this job through a friend’s recommendation and my university’s career services. The hiring process began with analysis of the famous movie clip of Al Pacino’s inspirational speech. They structured the response page such that you were to provide three very short responses to three questions regarding thoughts on values and teamwork, etc. Afterwards there was a GRE-style math test with word problems, combinatorial problems, and pseudocode analysis. I would GRE-general math questions under stricter time constraints to get a feel for the pressure. Correctly answers added 1 point each, incorrect answers -1/2 points, and blank answers 0 points. Even for someone scoring perfectly on the general GRE math section, I found this test to be decently difficult.
    The interview process itself consisted of a 1:1 interview, which began with questions regarding my resume and my interests in the company. Additional research into the company is highly recommended in formulating these answers. I was then presented with two case studies regarding event planning/management and sales estimation based on national economy trends. I had backgrounds in neither of these areas, but the interviewer was very helpful and appreciative that I would ask for help when stuck.
    Upon completion I was offered the chance to take a second interview immediately or to defer to a phone interview, in which I chose the former. The second interview dealt much more specifically with behavioral questions than the first. Interviewer asked me about the high-stress and work-focused culture of Mu Sigma with the implication that this job is not meant for someone with only the skills. I believe these questions were designed to test the comfort zones of candidates based on how they present themselves.
    Offer was received three days after interview date. Personal opinion of the offer is that the salary is low and that the benefits package is minimal. But as an undergraduate student with an expected bachelor’s in the spring, I believe this to be a standard offer for those in a similar position with no prior experience.

Interview Questions
    • What are the factors you would consider as a governor if the next Summer Olympics were to be held in (home state)?   Answer Question
    • You want to analyze the sales of (company), with sales being related to other trends within the economy. Do you predict sales to be good or bad in the upcoming summer?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, with the salary and joining bonus adding up to equal the advertised salary.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Mu Sigma.

Very difficult interview process that involves critical thinking, logic, problem solving and communication skills. A video clip is sent and one is to provide their thoughts on what is happening in the video. Next they give you a quantitative assessment test which has questions like the GRE style. One is then invited for the interview which involves additional quantitative, business case study and problem solving questions

Interview Questions
    • business case study on improving the sales of a certain company given certain conditions...   Answer Question
    no negotiation . It is fixed and they provide an additional $3000 signing bonus

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mu Sigma in March 2014.

They selected my resume out of the campus career center. The process involved a pre-interview logic test that was similar to the GMAT and a pretty weird exercise involving synthesizing the message of a video clip which happened to be a very low quality knock off from one of Al Pacino's movies. This was followed by a 1:1 case interview on campus.
    The interviewer seemed quite disinterested and simply kept bragging about how great his company was. The questions themselves were quite simple.

Interview Questions

Very low salary, 0 benefits and a outsourcing heavy company culture devoid of any work-life balance

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mu Sigma in December 2011.

Referred through a friend of mine. The HR people sit out of India, so they dont know when to call you. I got calls late in the night to discuss about my application :) Other than that it was a good overall. I had 5 rounds of interviews. 3 over phone, 2 1:1 meetings. One of them in a coffee shop and the other was a lunch, both with senior management team. They are pretty chilled out.

Interview Questions
    • Standard case interview questions. Read case in point book
      1. Drilled into my resume. They asked me a lot of questions about how I went about a project that I mentioned in my resume
      2. How would you go about quantifying the success of a mail campaign for a large credit card company?
      3. How do you go about understanding what needs to be on the aisles for improving sales for a retail company? - These questions were more a test to see how I was thinking. We never really got to numbers.
      4. What do you know about Mu Sigma?

In general they like people who ask them a lot of questions about Mu Sigma. So if you are applying read up a lot about them. They have a ton of press recently. They are happy to talk about their company
        Answer Question

Analyst Interview

On Campus Interview. Had to take two pretests before the interview. One was an extremely hard GRE style test and the other was a simple video synthesis. The interview was hard and asked for an incredible amount of detail that I don't know how I was supposed to know.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mu Sigma in January 2014.

There were two phone interviews with a case interview in between. The case interview was like a take-home project which I had 24 hours to complete. The case interview was comprised of a few questions to be answered, and a video that I was to watch and then synthesize into three main points. After passing through to the official telephonic interview, HR provided me with three time slots throughout the next week to schedule the interview.

Interview Questions
    • (answer I gave) In what situation would a company want to keep selling a product or service with low profit margins?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mu Sigma.

I applied through LinkedIn and was contacted in a matter of weeks. I had a short phone interview with a hiring manager. I'm sure that the interviewer calls a lot of people, but I got a great feeling that they really didn't care what I had to say and were just reading questions off of a list.

After the phone interiview I was invited to take an online assessment which asked web marketing data analysis questions.

I got a follow up response from Mu Sigma, but decided not to continue the application process.

Interview Questions
    • Canned questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years" always seem useless to me. Have a good answer for questions like these as it's likely most will ask.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Mu Sigma.

I was first contacted by phone and had two phone interviews over the course of two weeks. I was given an additional assignment to complete between each interview. Questions asked during each interview had some standard interview questions with some critical thinking questions.

Interview Questions
    • One of the more difficult questions was during the second interview. I was asked how to manage a limited budget for marketing and how I would target specific groups of people.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Mu Sigma.

Applied online through the university. Took about a week to hear back from them. Interview consisted of behavioral questions, a puzzle test and 2 other tests similar to the GRE and LSAT. Took a couple of days to hear back from them.

Interview Questions
    • The two tests were unexpected and difficult to answer in the amount of time given.   Answer Question
    Difficult to communicate, but all questions answered.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Mu Sigma.

Job posted on school career site for on-campus recruiting. Initial screening of resumes was followed by on-campus info session talking about what the company did and touting its successes. Interview was a week later--30 min behavioral session followed by two tests (not one), one of which was computer code and the other of which was a combination of the annoying math problems (i.e. 2 trains at different speeds), ratio/percentage questions based on a table of information, and logical reasoning questions that they took straight off of the LSAT.

Only had one interview, got an offer about 10 days later--everything was communicated over email.

Interview Questions
    • Quizzes were hard. I go to a top 25 school and their "aptitude test" was probably one of the hardest tests I've taken in the last four years.   Answer Question

They can't tell you where you will be stationed until after training. They give you 2 weeks of per diem allowance to figure out housing and the logistics associated with the new city you're moving to, but I was not excited about not having any knowledge (and only minimal levels of input) in where I was going.