Mu Sigma Interview Questions

3.2

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mu Sigma in November 2014.

I applied online and got an interview at my school. I walked into the interview and the man interviewing me had the schedule messed up and took 10 minutes to figure out who I was. He started the interview by looking at my resume and his first comment was, "you are a frat boy" followed by a smirk. He continued the interview while eating his dinner. By this point I knew I did not ever see myself wanting to work for this company. Never have I gone through such an unprofessional encounter during an interview.

Junior Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mu Sigma in November 2014.

Did on campus interviews. Interviewed with two people, both went over some of the basic interview stuff, talking about why Mu Sigma and what I knew about the company. Multiple problem solving questions, some unorthodox, but the interviewers were really helpful about helping you through them. Wanted to see problem solving skills and probably how you worked with them to solve them. Also had to do a video synthesis and a aptitude test. Aptitude was tough, sort of like the SAT, but harder in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • Got asked one of the typical consulting/finance interview questions along the lines of "How many lamp posts are there in London?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offer is same for all starters, however it is a reasonable offer for a first job. Not quite as high as some other private companies in the industry.

Junior Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mu Sigma in November 2014.

Applied for on-campus interview at UC Davis through Aggie Job Link and by visiting the Career Fair. Had to take GRE-style Aptitude Test and synthesize a video (similar to a TedTalk). Was invited to on-campus interview after passing these tests. Interview consisted of 15 minutes of behavioral questions, 30 minutes solving a case study question, and 45 minutes worth of brain teasers. Would argue that the brain teasers section is by far the most important. Thought process must be relayed to interviewer aloud - as if you were taking a client through your internal thought process in solving a business strategy problem.

Interview Questions
    • Simple game theory questions followed up by the last brain teaser: "Owner of the San Francisco Giants wants to know how one would go about quantifying the level of 'passion' within fans at the stadium. How you would go about quantifying this human emotion?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mu Sigma in November 2014.

First part:
    Online test - all math questions
    Video synthesis - watch a video about company structure and culture then write a reflection about it

Second part:
    On campus interview - one puzzle and general behavioral questions

No negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mu Sigma.

We had to go to an information session and then a pre-night event. In between the two, we received an email for links to 1) an aptitude test (kind of like the SAT) and 2) a link to a video (we need to provide our synthesis of the content in the end). The pre-night event covers everything in the video again and is sort of an Q&A session.
    Later we receive an invitation to an hour-long interview, during which they give you 2-3 mini-cases/logic problems that cover basic economic/business principles (game theory, porter's five forces, etc) and just kind of pick your brain for ideas. There were also some behavioral questions/standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

Lower salary than my other offers, longer hours too.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mu Sigma.

Before the interview, you take a short SAT style test and watch a video about the company and then write about it. There was two part interview. First was fairly normal with the basic get to know you questions like what do you know about us and why you would be a good fit. The second involved a logic puzzle and then some hypothetical situational questions. Interviewer says he is the marketing director of Discover and wants you to come up with a plan to increase credit card transactions. Adds in a couple curve balls as you go but really nothing too difficult. Overall was a pretty good experience.

Interview Questions
    • They both will ask you what does Mu Sigma do. While this should be straightforward, they want to know what it is that you think they do and how this company will be better off with you and how you will be better of with it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I got an interview offer through my school's career services office. I went to an on campus interview. it consisted of 30 mins behavioral and 30 mins case interviews with the regional head. I just wanted to try out for this interview so I did not really prepare. He gave me a few puzzles and a case. The interview was really dry. Asked me a few questions related to statistics.

Analyst Interview

I interviewed at my university career center. It was a two part interview with the first part being analytical and the second part behavioral. They asked mostly about personality types and the type of role you would play on a team. I received an offer notice without the actual offer about 4 days later and attended a call conference. I received an actual offer three days after the conference and it told me that I had two days to sign it.

Interview Questions
    • There are four jars of coins that each have different weights per coin. One of the jars is not quite the weight listed. Find which jar has the incorrect weight by using the least amount of attempts at weighing the coins as possible   Answer Question

I couldn't accept the offer given the small amount of time they gave me.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Mu Sigma.

a lot of analytical questions, which is to be expected. Interviewers were very friendly and made it seem less formal than expected. Overall the process was smooth and easy, nothing major.

Analyst Interview

Some people had aptitude test before the interview and some others had small case studies. Might be interviewed by someone fairly high up in the company and difficulty of interviews vary. Can apply through universities and find out quickly after the interview whether or not you get an offer. Not a long process.