Mu Sigma

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

3.2

Trainee Decision Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mu Sigma in September 2014.

Through college -2 days process- written round followed by a case study with pseudo coding-this was the second elimination round.. GD with video synthesis- combined was 3rd elimination round
    Personal interview- final round

Trainee Decision Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Mu Sigma in August 2014.

first there was an aptitude test which was followed by a combined video synthesis,pseudo coding test. after clearing it students were give a real analytics problem in which we had to discuss the client problem and to find a solution known as group case study round.in the end there was PI.

Interview Questions
    • what is the most fascinating thing about mu-sigma   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Mu Sigma in May 2014.

5 step process that lasted 2.5 months

-résumé submission at college career fair and conversation w/ representatives
    - first round phone call with recruiter
    - online test (math, reasoning, basic coding)
    - video synthesis
    - on-site interview (fit/résumé, brainteasers, case study); very relaxed and conversational

Interview Questions
    • you are given 4 glasses of your favourite drink. 1 of them contains poison, which you can taste. There is no other way to differentiate the 4 glasses (weight, density, volume etc. are all the same). How would you pick one to drink?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mu Sigma in May 2014.

I applied through my university career website and received an email within a week asking that I complete an online assessment that was pretty difficult given that I had no time to prepare for it and that I was allotted 35 min. to complete it. Next, was a face-to-face interview in which the interviewer, an employee presented a case study and posed hypothetical situations and asked what I would do. Given that I have no business background, I answered to the best of my ability, but it appears that she was looking for really really specific responses to her questions, and I did not give them to her.

Interview Questions
    • If you were the Mayor of Chicago and the next Olympic games were to he held here, what factors would you consider in preparing for the event?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Mu Sigma.

Applied through my school's website. Got an email a few days letter to complete a video synthesis assignment and an aptitude test. A few days later, I had an in-person interview that included a case study and some puzzles.

Interview Questions
    • Two ropes burn at 30 minutes. How would you estimate 45 minutes?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mu Sigma.

Very difficult interview process that involves critical thinking, logic, problem solving and communication skills. A video clip is sent and one is to provide their thoughts on what is happening in the video. Next they give you a quantitative assessment test which has questions like the GRE style. One is then invited for the interview which involves additional quantitative, business case study and problem solving questions

Interview Questions
    • business case study on improving the sales of a certain company given certain conditions...   Answer Question
    no negotiation . It is fixed and they provide an additional $3000 signing bonus

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mu Sigma in March 2014.

I found this job through a friend’s recommendation and my university’s career services. The hiring process began with analysis of the famous movie clip of Al Pacino’s inspirational speech. They structured the response page such that you were to provide three very short responses to three questions regarding thoughts on values and teamwork, etc. Afterwards there was a GRE-style math test with word problems, combinatorial problems, and pseudocode analysis. I would GRE-general math questions under stricter time constraints to get a feel for the pressure. Correctly answers added 1 point each, incorrect answers -1/2 points, and blank answers 0 points. Even for someone scoring perfectly on the general GRE math section, I found this test to be decently difficult.
    The interview process itself consisted of a 1:1 interview, which began with questions regarding my resume and my interests in the company. Additional research into the company is highly recommended in formulating these answers. I was then presented with two case studies regarding event planning/management and sales estimation based on national economy trends. I had backgrounds in neither of these areas, but the interviewer was very helpful and appreciative that I would ask for help when stuck.
    Upon completion I was offered the chance to take a second interview immediately or to defer to a phone interview, in which I chose the former. The second interview dealt much more specifically with behavioral questions than the first. Interviewer asked me about the high-stress and work-focused culture of Mu Sigma with the implication that this job is not meant for someone with only the skills. I believe these questions were designed to test the comfort zones of candidates based on how they present themselves.
    Offer was received three days after interview date. Personal opinion of the offer is that the salary is low and that the benefits package is minimal. But as an undergraduate student with an expected bachelor’s in the spring, I believe this to be a standard offer for those in a similar position with no prior experience.

Interview Questions
    • What are the factors you would consider as a governor if the next Summer Olympics were to be held in (home state)?   Answer Question
    • You want to analyze the sales of (company), with sales being related to other trends within the economy. Do you predict sales to be good or bad in the upcoming summer?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, with the salary and joining bonus adding up to equal the advertised salary.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mu Sigma in March 2014.

They selected my resume out of the campus career center. The process involved a pre-interview logic test that was similar to the GMAT and a pretty weird exercise involving synthesizing the message of a video clip which happened to be a very low quality knock off from one of Al Pacino's movies. This was followed by a 1:1 case interview on campus.
    The interviewer seemed quite disinterested and simply kept bragging about how great his company was. The questions themselves were quite simple.

Interview Questions

Very low salary, 0 benefits and a outsourcing heavy company culture devoid of any work-life balance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mu Sigma in March 2014.

The interview process was over one day and consisted of two interviews. The first interview was more technical/math related and the second was more about your speech/ability to talk to a client. They would ask you a standard interview question, "why are you interested in the company", then give you a small test to do. Once you finished with the test they would ask another standard interview question and rinse and repeat until they were both done.

Interview Questions
    • I doubt any of the questions will be the same from person to person but look up little puzzle/riddle questions ie get people/things across the river in the shortest time possible.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

On Campus Interview. Had to take two pretests before the interview. One was an extremely hard GRE style test and the other was a simple video synthesis. The interview was hard and asked for an incredible amount of detail that I don't know how I was supposed to know.