MuleSoft

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.9

Solution Architect Interview

Great process with a mix of in person interview and demo/presentation. There were multiple in-person interviews with a mix of VPs and engineers in the interview process. The good part is that they bring you in for face to face interview, right in the beginning of the process.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MuleSoft.

Applied online. Brief phone call asking about my resume, then I was emailed a link to a challenge (two weeks to complete) which I chose not to complete since it looked like a huge amount of work.

Account Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MuleSoft in September 2014.

MuleSoft did a great job of the interview process up until the onsite interview. The format was to meet 4 members of the team for 30 minutes each. After the 1st interview, they actually decided to not move forward with me, however, they did not tell me this until the 4th interview. I had no issues getting a rejection from MuleSoft, but they wasted my time and that is incredibly unprofessional. Also, the final interviewer admitted that the first interviewer liked to act like a "stone wall" during his interviews, which indicates to me that there is something culturally off with this company since they cannot be themselves during interviews. Lastly, I have been told that MuleSoft likes to interview people with no actual intent to hire them simply to see what the competition and talent pool is like, which once again is not an ethical or professional practice.

Interview Questions
    • I am the CIO of ESPN, sell me MuleSoft. The reason why this is difficult is because they expect you to know their product inside and out, and they make it out to seem more complicated than it actually is.   Answer Question

Principal Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MuleSoft in August 2014.

I was contacted by a Mulesoft recruiter, a few days after I had applied online. Initially, they responded quickly and even set a time to discuss on Saturday, but then cancelled that last minute and I had to follow up with them later in the week to remind them my application.

First, I got a call from the recruiter and and we went thru the usual recruiter screening questions. There were two roles that piqued my interest and the recruiting team was flexible. First, I spoke to the hiring director of the primary position. After that, I took 3 Skype calls from various VP's. Each one of them showed tremendous interest in my full resume and academic background and patiently sifted thru each school, hire and etc. I was asked detailed reason for leaving each company and in some cases dig into specific situations during my projects in past situations. Each call lasted for about 1.5 hours.

I passed the online phone screen and was invited for a day of onsite interviews in San Francisco. There, I interviewed with the CEO, and a 1.5 hour lunch with the hiring manager and a 1 to 1.5 hour interviews with a couple of other folks. They all took great sustained interest in my background and paid attention through out the interview, some of them which went for 1.5+ hours. Nobody tuned out.

Finally, before leaving, the hiring director checked-in to ask if I was good with my travels etc. and I left. Nice touch.

Fortunately or unfortunately for me, I received another offer from a startup with significant equity so I was not able to accept this offer. Had it not been for the lure of money, I would have jumped on this offer in a heartbeat.

Due to my strong technical background and visible industry presence, I was not asked many technical questions. All in all a very respectful and thorough but taxing process. It exhausted me mentally for the day.

Finally, the VP of Field and Channel sales called and did the salary negotiation. He was extremely transparent, very respectful and polite throughout the process. This is one the main reasons I wanted to work here. They made a decent competitive offer and I initially took it.

The only negative aspect I can think of was that the offer was valid for one day only. This can be seen as a good or negative based on where you sit.

Pre-sales Solutions Consultant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MuleSoft in July 2014.

Multiple interviews, initial level setting interview with recruiter to ensure that both sides have correct expectations. Then four 1:1 interviews with sales manager, sales consultant, sales consulting manager and consultant. These focused on selling skills and technical capability.
    Finally 15 minute on site presentation using MuleSoft products to demonstrate both technical ability and sales ability. This was done to salesman, sales consulting manager and sales consultant.
    Rounded off with interviews with founder, CEO and global VP sales consulting.

Interview Questions
    • Have you contributed to any open source projects?   View Answer
    Recruitment process helps both you and the company decide if you are a good fit, and this colors the negotiation process. Generally by this point both sides would like to proceed and it is worth bearing that in mind.

Full Stack Dev Interview

I applied online – interviewed at MuleSoft in June 2014.

Interview was more at satisfying the interviewers ego than actual stuff. Though interveiw went well, no feedback from the team. Post interview, I wasnt keen and hence didnt follow up.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MuleSoft.

I've done many interviews and have to say I was very impressed by the speed and thoroughness of MuleSoft's process.

I applied through Indeed and was promptly contacted by a Recruiter to set up a phone interview later that week. The phone interview was 30-minutes and the recruiter was very helpful and personable. I wasn't too familiar with MuleSoft before but she did a good job in piquing my interest. Questions were fairly standard and experience-based. What I really appreciated was that she told me exactly what she felt I was lacking near the end of the interview. This gave me a chance to make up for it and I was also able to better prepare for it during the onsite interview. The next day, she gave me call and email inviting me to come onsite for first round interviews. This consisted of meeting with 3 members of the team for 45-60 minutes each, which was scheduled for me within a couple of days.

Coming onsite for 3 hours for a first round was pretty daunting. Nonetheless, when I met my recruiter, she was very supportive and gave me good vibes. She gave me a tour of the office which was beautiful and offered me some snacks from the kitchen (fully stocked!! beef jerky!!) which I politely declined. Nonetheless, she later brought me a cup of snacks to my interview room. (I was touched)

First interview was an hour long with the hiring manager. This was definitely the most difficult one and I was pretty nervous throughout. She asked a few unexpected questions - the hardest being "what can I learn from you?" Nonetheless, seeing that the interviews are so lengthy - it gives them a lot of time to get to know you- nerves aside.

Second interview was 45 minutes and went really well. The interviewer was a relaxed guy who was easy to talk to. He asked good questions that showed that he read through my resume closely which I appreciated. My third interview was with someone actually in the position I would be taking on. She was very upfront about her experiences in the role - including its challenges and limitations. I was a little surprised but impressed by her candidness as well as the candidness of the entire process. Another thing I really liked was how each interviewer spoke highly of each other in a way that you knew that they were all good friends.

Soon after, they had me interview via Skype with another team member "so that I could meet everyone on the team" and received an offer soon after.

Overall, great experience and fastest I've ever been through. Well-thought out process/ questions and well-executed. Their hiring process definitely reflects the culture and quality of employees which is a big reason why I decided to join.

Customer Success Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MuleSoft in June 2014.

Very structured process. They asked for a 15 minute presentation on any topic to understand how you interact with clients. Very quick response after the interview process. The VP was very meticulous and started at the very beginning of my resume/career. He is very low key. Others were more talkative and provided more insight

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MuleSoft.

Applied through LinkedIn and was contacted by the recruiter. Subsequently transferred to the recruiter's manager. She was articulate and was knowledgeable about product management function. I felt that was a peek into the quality of the people working at MuleSoft.

This was followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager was nice to talk on the phone and asked general background related questions. They had two different openings that I could fit into. My in-person interview was scheduled for 3 weeks later at the MuleSoft offices.

The office is a pretty open layout and in a great location. The interview was conducted by four other PMs- nice, personable people. The questions were easy - probably because the other PMs were early in their careers. During the interview, I found out that the position I was being interviewed for was already filled and they were looking to see if I would fit the other position. Would have been nice if they had asked me first if I was still interested. The final person to interview was the exec - again nice to talk to.

Overall, the interview process was easy and the folks that I interacted with were pleasant and nice to interact with. However, after this point there was ZERO communication. I mailed the recruiter and the hiring manager and neither of them bothered to return my call/email.

Mulesoft recruiting team needs to understand that other people's time is valuable too. I had to skip an entire day of meetings and work to be in the city to attend this interview, the least they could have done was to return call/email stating they were not interested. This is unprofessional, IMHO.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at MuleSoft in May 2014.

Applied online and heard back from the company in about one week. The interviewer who were supposed to talk to me on the phone had an emergency. Another interviewer called instead. For this particular position, she only asked three questions: 1) what is your achievement in your college? 2) what is your achievement in your graduate school? 3) what is your achievement in your current workplace. And then "do you have any questions for me?" Speechless.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Just feel that the interviewer was not a professional recruiter.   Answer Question