Murex Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2014
Updated Aug 15, 2014

3.5

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Murex.

Applied online on their company website, got an answer a few weeks later to take a technical exam. This is mostly SQL, linux commands, XML, and finding the problem in error reports. Then received 2 interviews afterwards. First is mostly behavioral and going over the exam and the second is more technical.

Interview Questions
    • A question about an error in their system with an error in a SQL statement.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Murex in April 2012.

Got the interview by applying online. First a screening phone call to make sure that you understand what you have applied to and also to make sure that everything on your resume is Ok. Then comes a phone call, usually someone from the integration team who would ask you about what's listed in your resume. Make sure you know all definitions for this interview as well as basic algorithms, as stupid as this may sound I got stuck trying to define a class/object in Java and coming up with a decent algorithm to calculate root square using (Newton's sequence).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Murex in April 2012.

Phone interview 1 hour long all technical questions
    Complexities of Vector Link List
    Implement fibonacci series

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Murex in October 2008.

Made contact with an HR recruiter at a University event, spoke with the recruiter and then presented my CV. Was then contacted for an initial phone interview after a week (some logic problems albeit not very technical) , then by another interviewer (more technical problems). Two weeks passed before I received an invite for an on site interview in NY, all graciously arranged by the company. Upon my arrival was directly ushered in to take a knowledge test on technical skills (Math and Computer Science). I was then interviewed by 4 members of their team and felt the first couple of interviewers were in a hurry and just throwing in their questions before moving on. All interviews consisted of a brief summary of what they did, what I have done, before trying to solve 2-3 problems/algorithms and then moving on.
    That last day of interview was short but intense but I think that was the intent. Like any other place I think it has its cast of characters that you would enjoy to work with and some that you wouldn't.

Interview Questions
    • What are the courses you took in University, which did you prefer and why ?   Answer Question
    • Given a grid of any height and width, write an algorithm to traverse it in a spiral. (Starting at the top left and ending in the middle)   Answer Question

Risk Management Consultant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Murex.

1st round - written test and small HR interview :

Written test consists of questions from different sections such as Maths, Finance, programming, UNIX, database. Not enough time to complete all the questions. Only expected to do as much as possible withing the given time.

Some of the questions are:
    Maths:
    1. Define derivative for function f(x) at point x0
    2. Write the taylor series expansion at x0
    3. Question on differentiation using product rule.
    4. Questions on geometric series and arithmetic series

programming:
    1. write outputs of C programs (scope of variables, control structures - program on prime numbr generation , arrays)
    2. What is a pointer ? When it is used in C
    3. situations where C have to pointers but other programming languages (C++) can use other ways

Database:
    1. main concept of relational databases
    2. SQL query to retrieve data

Finance:
    1. What is a stock
    2. What is a bond
    3. How to value a bond and calculate yield (bond paying 8% coupon for 10 years, face value = 100)
    4. Calculation of loan repayment
    5. what is an option ? what are different types of options ? parameters which affect option value

2nd round : technical interview

There were three managers in the interview panel, each from different risk teams (market, credit, collateral). This round consists of various types of question such as technical, logical and behavioral.
    Some of the technical questions are:
    1. What is VaR
    2. Explain Monte Carlo simulation
    3. What is credit risk
    4. What is the life cycle of a bond and what are risk involved
    5. What is the difference between basel 2 and basel 3 regulations

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Murex.

Technical and functional test followed by two inetrviews. First a classical HR interview and finally a functional interview by a manager focusing on skills, porblem solving and discussing the role and company culture.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Paris (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Murex.

I and other ~ 20 candidates were called to do an assignment, like a university final exam. We were in a meeting room at the top floor with a beautiful view on Paris. You have to choose the subjects you want for the assignment, you have choice between "maths", "financial maths", "C", "XML", "Objects oriented programming", and other things I don't remember.

More you choose subjects more you have time, but you are advised to select the less possible and the most accurate possible (eg don't take financial maths if you want to be backend developer). Little murex terminology here : front-end developer means a developer who works on pricers, back-end developer works on middle-level (servers, data warehouse, etc.).

In maths, the subject is related to derivatives, integration, Taylor series, matrices.
    In C, you have to optimize a little C program, nothing hard just to spot unnecessary computations and the ability to use function pointers.
    In objects oriented programming, you have to design classes given a product description.

I did bad on maths, I did nothing on financial maths but I think I succeeded programming assignments.

Then I was called for a HR interview. Very classic, nothing worth to say here. The recruiter pushed me to back-end development position (without only ) which I didn't want. She told me that she will call me back if a front-end position is available. I took it as a failure, I was wrong.

One month later, they contacted me and told me that they want to go further in the recruitment process. Meanwhile I planned a USA trip for one month and half, so I told them I will be back then. Back to France, I had a few difficulties to contact them again, but the process went on eventually.

I did a face-to-face interview with the engineering director. He asked me questions about the introspection mechanisms and virtual table.

Once informed that I succeeded that one, I was called for an interview with my future manager and his manager. They asked me to solve maths questions I failed in the assignment. Hopefully, I worked on them in the meanwhile so I was able to solve them. I don't remember coding questions they asked me but they were really not difficult.

Interview Questions
    • You have a class A and a subclass B which derives from A. There is a member called "m" in both A and B. In the constructor of B, you read/write "m", which one is used? m from A or m from B?   View Answer
    I was invited to meet a recruiter who explained all the package. I asked for a little more than what they offered, they declined, I accepted the job.

Financial Software Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Murex in February 2014.

Attended technical test

Interview Questions
    • Part 1 is compulsory 3 questions...write a page on what you know about murex? Why do you want to work for murex? & a 3rd question along the same line

Part 2 is compulsory also & consists of 5 maths wordy questions
      eg. You have 3 jugs 12L, 7L & 5L & an infinite supply of water...list the steps to end up with two jugs filled with exactly 6L each.

Eg. 2 trains one travelling from Liverpool to London and another travelling from London to Liverpool leave the stations at the same time. They pass each other at one point after which the train from london reaches its destination one hour later whereas the train from Liverpool reaches its destination 4 hours later...how many times faster was one train going than the other?

Questions from capital markets & risk sections...
      What is netting? When is it used?
      What is collateral management? When is it used?
      What is the definition of VaR? What are 3 ways it is calculated?
      What is beta? How is it calculated?
      What is the difference between OTC and listed?
      Effect of negative correlation on a portfolio?

IT - what is SQL?
      What is XML? What are the main commands used?
        Answer Question

Financial Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Murex in December 2013.

Interview was conducted via video conference with a director and a senior consultant.

Interview Questions
    • no technical questions.
      very basic questions about TVM, Bond, and termstructure.
      all the other questions from CV
        Answer Question

Graduate Developer Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Murex.

Initial meeting with staff at career expo. Very friendly staff.
    I sent my application via email and was asked to resend to the recruitment page on the Murex site.
    I was then invited to a undergo a technical test. very similar to an exam - 20 questions i think 2 hours.
    We were welcomed by a friendly member of staff and given the paper.
    we were told to ask questions if we needed clarification.
    After the test we were told that we would get an answer within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • most coding questions were C code - I have never learnt C so decided to use assumptions and my knowledge of Java to answer the questions. I explained my answers.
      There were questions on linux OS.
      Questions on threads
      Questions on OOP and Java
      Questions on database - SQL as well as designing a small database to answer client needs
        View Answer

Worked for Murex? Contribute to the Community!