Murex

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Murex in May 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume through their recruitment website (applied for a particular software development position). I was contacted by one of their recruiter one week later to schedule a date for the written test. The date for the written test were fixed by Murex's recruiters and provide little or no room for modification.

The day of the written test, we (myself and about 5 other applicants) were placed in a conference room where a recruiter explained the murex application process, timing, and desired skills. The test comprises optional parts, but form my particular position (software engineer) it embodied only object oriented programming, java, c++, and design problems. The test is not difficult but is particularly long. At the end of the test you are asked to write a little paragraph "in english" about yourself, your projects, etc. (it's a basic english test).

About a week later the recruiter sent me an email to schedule a 1:1 interview with a recruiter following by a 1:2 interview with a software engineering manager. The recruiter interview consisted on previous experience, cultural fit, and a few other behavioural questions.

The technical interview was very stimulating and challenging, it lasted 2+ hours during which I was asked about Object Oriented programming and design, code reviews, etc (basically explain all the answers given in the written test).

The interviewers were always nice. Remember, they are there to asses your problem solving capabilities, coding and design skill, and finally to check whether they will be comfortable working with you.

Interview Question – 3+ hours written test. Nothing too difficult. Study object oriented concepts, java and c++. Prepare for behavioural questions such as "tell us about a time when you had to handle stress".   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had another more interesting offering.

Interviewed at Murex

Interview Details – More than 3h of technical test. Paper based.

Interview Question – Improve code quality.   Answer Question

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Murex.

Interview Details – Got an email few weeks after submitting the CV online. The went to Paris for a on-site interview. The 1st round was only a written test with several options to choose depending on the job position. I choose the software developer, but most of the tests are about OO codes test such as java which is not keeping in line with my profile. Then, few weeks later, got the negative news.

Interview Question – nothing was really dificult, but just not so match with my background. If someone has strong background in the OO programming, that could be nice.   Answer Question

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Murex in February 2013.

Interview Details – At first glance, seems to be an elite company. Beautiful building, leader on its market, difficult process... The first step consist of finance/math/cs/english test. Depending on the position sought, some modules become mandatory, will other can be freely chosen. It took me more than 3 hours to complete a 50+-page test. I passed the test but failed on the next HR interview.

Interview Question – Well, review extensively everything that you might be question about for the technical test (see other review) but more importantly, be quick.   Answer Question

Paris (France)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Murex in January 2008.

Interview Details – Writen test (finance, math & English)
HR interview
Senior manager interview
Interview with team leader (N+2)
Interview with team leader (N+1)

Interview Question – Writen test (check internet forums mostly in french for question types)   Answer Question

Financial Software Consultant Interview

Financial Software Consultant
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Murex in October 2012.

Interview Details – Initially i was applied for Financial software consultant, and i gave the aptitude test spending 2.5 hours in murex offices. HR gave feedback that my skills are strong for financial software consultant and Performance Architect consultant role would suit better basing on my qualifications. Again took a 3 hour programming test and passed in that. Final interview with Managing director at 6:30 pm . He was asking questions that sounds strange and feedback was i am too keen on the position and they would not consider my application.

Interview Question – The questions in the test are mediocre.   Answer Question

Front Office Consultant Interview

Front Office Consultant
Paris (France)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Murex in September 2011.

Interview Details – Written test (maths, financial, IT) + CEO + HR + boss

Interview Question – what is accounting p&l, economic p&l. how to calculate?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Murex

Interview Details – Didn't do well in the written test, but still invited to the final interview.

Procurement Interview

Procurement

Interviewed at Murex

Interview Details – Total 4 rounds of interviews - One by phone, three face-to-face.

Fairly tough interviews but confusing for candidates as there were different explanation of the job function from each round of interview. Candidates informed that it is a newly created job function hence could not provide proper indication of performance criteria, however interviewers seem to have very high expectations for the candidate.

Interview Question – How are you with making and not making decisions?   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Murex in January 2012.

Interview Details – I went to the Murex office on 4 occasions. The first day to sit an assessment and the other 3 times for follow up interviews. The assessment was very varies covering a wide range of fields but none of the questions were too challenging although they did have a section n Credit Risk which I was clueless about.

I was asked to come back for an interview with the HR manager. This was a 1:1 interview of about 80 minutes going through my CV and work history. It was an extremely rigorous interview and she left no stones unturned. She basically asked me about every decision that I had made at each step of my career. Half way through she told me that she saw some particular problems with areas in my past employment and asked me to convince her why she'd be wrong to think that way. Overall it was a really tough interview but very professional at the same time.

The third and fourth interviews were called 'technical interviews' but I was asked no technical questions in either of them despite the fact they were being carried out by technical staff. Instead it was the same HR and competency type questions. I found this really frustrating as I had done a lot of work on the technical side of things in preparation for both interviews but I didn't mention this as I didn't want to jeopardise my chances.

I didn't get the job in the end and the feedback was that I needed to be more professional when describing my previous work history. I had left a different career type to go back to college and was a bit too honest in my descriptions of why I had wanted to change career direction.

Interview Questions

• You have two games.
    Game A You toss one coin. Heads you win $1, Tails you lose $1.
    Game B: You toss two coins. Two Heads you win $2, two Tails you lose $2, a combination of both and you win or loss nothing.

What is the Expected Value, Variance and Standard Deviation of both games?

Which game would you prefer to play and why?
      Answer Question