Murex

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Murex.

Interview Details – I and other ~ 20 candidates were called to do an assignment, like a university final exam. We were in a meeting room at the top floor with a beautiful view on Paris. You have to choose the subjects you want for the assignment, you have choice between "maths", "financial maths", "C", "XML", "Objects oriented programming", and other things I don't remember.

More you choose subjects more you have time, but you are advised to select the less possible and the most accurate possible (eg don't take financial maths if you want to be backend developer). Little murex terminology here : front-end developer means a developer who works on pricers, back-end developer works on middle-level (servers, data warehouse, etc.).

In maths, the subject is related to derivatives, integration, Taylor series, matrices.
In C, you have to optimize a little C program, nothing hard just to spot unnecessary computations and the ability to use function pointers.
In objects oriented programming, you have to design classes given a product description.

I did bad on maths, I did nothing on financial maths but I think I succeeded programming assignments.

Then I was called for a HR interview. Very classic, nothing worth to say here. The recruiter pushed me to back-end development position (without only ) which I didn't want. She told me that she will call me back if a front-end position is available. I took it as a failure, I was wrong.

One month later, they contacted me and told me that they want to go further in the recruitment process. Meanwhile I planned a USA trip for one month and half, so I told them I will be back then. Back to France, I had a few difficulties to contact them again, but the process went on eventually.

I did a face-to-face interview with the engineering director. He asked me questions about the introspection mechanisms and virtual table.

Once informed that I succeeded that one, I was called for an interview with my future manager and his manager. They asked me to solve maths questions I failed in the assignment. Hopefully, I worked on them in the meanwhile so I was able to solve them. I don't remember coding questions they asked me but they were really not difficult.

Interview Question – You have a class A and a subclass B which derives from A. There is a member called "m" in both A and B. In the constructor of B, you read/write "m", which one is used? m from A or m from B?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was invited to meet a recruiter who explained all the package. I asked for a little more than what they offered, they declined, I accepted the job.

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Murex in May 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume through their recruitment website (applied for a particular software development position). I was contacted by one of their recruiter one week later to schedule a date for the written test. The date for the written test were fixed by Murex's recruiters and provide little or no room for modification.

The day of the written test, we (myself and about 5 other applicants) were placed in a conference room where a recruiter explained the murex application process, timing, and desired skills. The test comprises optional parts, but form my particular position (software engineer) it embodied only object oriented programming, java, c++, and design problems. The test is not difficult but is particularly long. At the end of the test you are asked to write a little paragraph "in english" about yourself, your projects, etc. (it's a basic english test).

About a week later the recruiter sent me an email to schedule a 1:1 interview with a recruiter following by a 1:2 interview with a software engineering manager. The recruiter interview consisted on previous experience, cultural fit, and a few other behavioural questions.

The technical interview was very stimulating and challenging, it lasted 2+ hours during which I was asked about Object Oriented programming and design, code reviews, etc (basically explain all the answers given in the written test).

The interviewers were always nice. Remember, they are there to asses your problem solving capabilities, coding and design skill, and finally to check whether they will be comfortable working with you.

Interview Question – 3+ hours written test. Nothing too difficult. Study object oriented concepts, java and c++. Prepare for behavioural questions such as "tell us about a time when you had to handle stress".   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had another more interesting offering.

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Murex.

Interview Details – Got an email few weeks after submitting the CV online. The went to Paris for a on-site interview. The 1st round was only a written test with several options to choose depending on the job position. I choose the software developer, but most of the tests are about OO codes test such as java which is not keeping in line with my profile. Then, few weeks later, got the negative news.

Interview Question – nothing was really dificult, but just not so match with my background. If someone has strong background in the OO programming, that could be nice.   Answer Question

Paris (France)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Murex in February 2013.

Interview Details – At first glance, seems to be an elite company. Beautiful building, leader on its market, difficult process... The first step consist of finance/math/cs/english test. Depending on the position sought, some modules become mandatory, will other can be freely chosen. It took me more than 3 hours to complete a 50+-page test. I passed the test but failed on the next HR interview.

Interview Question – Well, review extensively everything that you might be question about for the technical test (see other review) but more importantly, be quick.   Answer Question

Financial Consultant Interview

Financial Consultant
Paris (France)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Murex in January 2008.

Interview Details – Writen test (finance, math & English)
HR interview
Senior manager interview
Interview with team leader (N+2)
Interview with team leader (N+1)

Interview Question – Writen test (check internet forums mostly in french for question types)   Answer Question

Front Office Consultant Interview

Front Office Consultant
Paris (France)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Murex in September 2011.

Interview Details – Written test (maths, financial, IT) + CEO + HR + boss

Interview Question – what is accounting p&l, economic p&l. how to calculate?   Answer Question

Worked for Murex? Contribute to the Community!