Murphy Oil

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cheraw, SC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Murphy Oil in February 2013.

Interview Details – The process didn't take long.I was called for an interview.I was asked questions about my values and past projects completed. I had to do videos for training and the other cashiers helped me. It was a hands-on training experience.

Interview Question – The manager asked, "What projects have you, or are you, pursuing or have pursued?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was I able to close the store? I said yes.

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Murphy Oil in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had to keep calling to get my foot in the door. I was interviewed in the small kiosk. But it was typical questions, basically personality questions. I was sent to do a drug test and then wait on my background test. Only took about 2-3 days for it all the come back.

Interview Question – Do you think you will be ready to work by yourself in about 3 days?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They told you how much you got paid, either take it or leave.

Rowlett, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Murphy Oil in June 2011.

Interview Details – Went pretty easy, was called in for a interview. Hiring manager was nice compared to most. I think I got the job. She got me to take a drug test and background check. No word back yet.

Interview Question – Normal questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ripley, TN

The process took a day - interviewed at Murphy Oil in October 2010.

Interview Details – i believe murphys has a good interview system. I think they may need to be more careful about who they hire because they keep tending to get people who could care less about their jobs. I personally am very dedicated to my job & do my best to complete my shift as required & go out of my way to do things not asked of me when i have adequate time to do my duties plus extras (it isnt often that the time is even adequate to do the required things.)

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – what negotiation? they said you will start out at so & so & in 30 days you will get a raise & in 90 days from that you will get another raise. The money is not bad but its not worth the weather conditions you have to deal with while working.

Carthage, TN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Murphy Oil in October 2010.

Interview Details – I think the interview went well at least I hope it did.

Interview Question – There was no difficult questions   Answer Question

Lithonia, GA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Murphy Oil in January 2009.

Interview Details – I did not have an interview (phone or in person) or drug test. To get in the system you have to pass the online application process, which was stupid "what's a seven letter word for dog" type stuff like that; if you don’t know the answer just open another tab copy and paste the question in Google and ...wahlah!!!! the answer (I guess that is the IQ/Intelligence test). Of course, with every job, they do a background check they do not tell you if passed that are not but I am sure you will know if they hire you. Because they are supposed to train you there is no skills test before (or after) you start. When I came in they needed me that bad so did the training on the computer in a day then took me another day to grasp how to work the register however it was a somewhat slow process because the manager is slow, he slowed me down telling me it would take 3 days to do the training on the computer but in actuality only took 1. Moreover, because he did not want me on the register just yet made me do "yard work" like trash pickup, stocking the cooler and cleaning the pumps and the bathroom while the others who were there longer worked the register. (the whole process a week; probation period then raise a month.)

Interview Question – Can you perform the duties of this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.
Negotiate especially if you know you are more competent than the manager.

North Richland Hills, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Murphy Oil in July 2010.

Interview Details – I had been applying at murphys (every one within 15 miles) for a year and a half before i finally got an interview. I got a call i don't know how long after the app, it might have been a few weeks. Interview was 2 days after the call. The interview took place outside by the gas pump. The store manager, and his boss were both present and interviewed me. They were 15 minutes late, i don't know if thats how they always conduct business, but things can happen so you never know. It was obvious they had already decided they wanted to hire me (i filled out online applcation and profile) because they did not ask me many questions. I just have a couple years experience so their standards aren't super high. There were none of those "why do you want to work here" type questions. The majority of the time they were explaining to me the nature of the work and how they hire from within for management position etc... they asked if i wanted part time or full time... then said they only hire part-time for cashier but i would be getting full time hours most the time. They asked where i was currently working, and when i could start working for them. I told them i would need to give my current employer two weeks notice *******They liked this******** this is something that made a good impression on them, that i would give notice an not just up and leave without warning leaving the employer high and dry. They told me they admired that.
They made a big deal about being able to come in on short notice to cover a shift and said that that was a priority in who they choose for the position. They also stressed that I would have to sell.... not like pitch stuff but the kind of selling like, if a customer is purchasing a bottle of water for $2 tell the customer they are on sale 2 for 3. that kind of selling. Or if they are buying one pack of cigaresstes tell them the special on 3 or 5 packs and how much money they will save by getting the special. It is MANADORY. They asked me if I could pass a drug test, then the store manager took my license for the background check and while he was away me and his boss, i guess the DM BSed for a little while, about the job and working. HE asked if there was anything on my background and I told him I had a theft conviction and blah blah... he said he wanted to hire me regardless and he respected that i told him up front i had a record, but that he didn't have the authority to approve a background check (someone even higher up or HR, i don't know). They really liked me. They told me they started cashiers out at 8.00 and hour but I negotiated it higher. I ACED IT! They said they would call me pending the higher ups decision about my background check, and that i would take the drug test then. I then thanked them for giving me the opportunity to interview. <<<<<<<That part is important and also makes a good impression.

That was it... both of them intervieing me outside, explainging the nature of the work, taking my license for background information. and that was it.

Also, I showed up to this interview dressed nice, like i was interviewing for a management position.

***Edit: I got the call a few days later from the store manager that interviewd me. He was apologizing because he couldn't hire me after all b/c their system rejected my background check. And he was very sorry because he and the GM both wanted to take a chance on me. In a situation like this, i call the higer up or someone in charge of final background approval and sell myelf to change their mind. But he was like, "the system this, the system that" "Once the system rejects background it deletes you out of the system, you are out of the system now" He wouldn't even give me contact info that would have given me a shot at changing someone's mind who can override the system. Gives me the impression they are so dependent on their system they won't make a human decsision to override the systems decision.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Yes. If you make a really good impression you may be able to negotiate. They gave the impression that the starting pay was set in stone. I already had them taken with me and I had a few years related experience and was able to use that to negotiate. If you have something to offer, you might get another quarter or two out of them as your starting pay.

Macon, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Murphy Oil in June 2008.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call three days later. Once I got there, I had to fill out a paper application. I was interviewed by the district manager. The interview was pretty basic and didn't take long. He asked me questions about my past work experience and performed a background check right there on the spot. He told me about the job and what was expected of me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation; I was told what I would start off making & that I would receive a raise after the probationary period.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Murphy Oil in August 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online (come to find out, they never take the application down even if they haven't hired in months). I quit my previous job and the next day applied here. Got a call the next day for an interview. I went in and the manager was very impressed with my resume and assessment, it almost felt like I was interviewing him. He asked a few mandatory questions and we talked for a few minutes. He offered me a job on the spot. I came in the next day to get my drug test papers and they were out. I came in again and got the papers, passed the test and got a call to start training. There are tons of little things to learn during training but if you have a decent manager, they are happy (or at least understanding) to take your calls every hour for a few days. I've seen a lot of people come and go and managers rarely interview more than one person, so if you get the interview, you probably got the job.

Interview Question – All standard 'Describe a time when you were in a difficult situation/had to work in a team environment' questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. I was ripped off when he told me what I would start at. I think he was trying to impress someone by saving money but after my first check, I was raised a little bit. Then again after the second check.

Cashier

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Murphy Oil in August 2009.

Interview Details – I saw an ad in the newspaper, called number spoke with the dm at the time set up interview met the dm at a starbucks interview lasted twenty minutes was hired for the job went to the store talked with the store manager set a day to do the drug screen went and did the drug screen next day and was told to be at the location to start work the following day....on day three.

Interview Question – Do you have any small children?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate my salary the job I left I was making more money but further to travel and she wouldn't give me what I was making there. I would tell them to negotiate their salary especially if they think they are worth it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Murphy Oil

Worked for Murphy Oil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Murphy Oil Cashier interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Murphy Oil employees and interview candidates.